Tamiya 1/48 Fairey Swordfish Mk. II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

NeverAPro

Airman
Apr 23, 2018
Hi.

I am starting a Tamiya 1/48 Fairey Swordfish Mk. II, and I will make a series of videos of the full build. The first one is about the cockpit:

Here is some pictures of the cockpit as of now:

(http://imgur.com/gallery/YmRr9) View: https://imgur.com/gallery/YmRr9

I want to build this kit with attention to historical accuracy. I was googling something, and I stumbled on this similiar thread here:
<> **** DONE: 1/48 Fairey Swordfish MkII - WW1 / WW2 over Water.
I was advised to create my own thread, so here we are.

You are all welcome to participate and help me out. Thanks.

Welcome aboard. I haven't watched the video but the pic looks good. If you are planning to add the bracing wires, beware. My build that you referenced has some suggestions on how to deal with these.

Welcome aboard. I haven't watched the video but the pic looks good. If you are planning to add the bracing wires, beware. My build that you referenced has some suggestions on how to deal with these.

Yes, I am kind of skeptic of the photo-etch bracing, I prefer EZ-line so it is always straight, but I will try it, if I don't like it, I can switch it.

I will read your thread carefully now, thanks.

I agree with Post #4. My P.E. bracing seemed a tad too long. What I did was cut off the bottom attachment point, glue the top attachment point in place and when it dried put a small dab of glue on the bottom and held it in place on the lower wing until it set. Looking forward to more of your build

I watched your video and it's very well done! I very much enjoyed seeing how you put together the cockpit - a few little tidbits there that I will refer back to when attempting my second build of this kit.

Please pay close attention to Andy's (Crimea River's) build. fubar57 also let you know that the PE wires/braces are tricky and must be carefully accommodated/adjusted so that the rigging does not buckle when attached. As to EZ Line ... I use it all the time for both aircraft and ship rigging but, in the case of the stringbag, I do not think that it would look appropriately thick or wide enough. It might suffice for a modeler of fewer talents than you have shown but, with the abilities you've demonstrated, I should think that you will be able to figure out how to make the PE work.

Mike

Right you are Michael. The bracing between the inner and out struts could be done with thread but the main bracing is as the P.E. depict though they could be a wee bit meatier. hard to find a good shot of the bracing

You probably know this but I almost missed it; the control cables running from the tail surfaces and entering mid fuselage

I really appreciate all your comments, guys! Great stuff. I already hid the hole I made for those ventral tubes that Tamiya didn't realise they were he folded wing's rockets.

I also glued some of the cables but left the other end unglued, as you guys pointed out, they should be glued in the end, as the wings will still see a lot of bends and twists.

So, here is the progress so far:

- I glued the ramaining Eduard photo-etch parts for the cockpit. The instrument panel looks great (but credits go to Eduard)

I sprayed a gloss coat over the XF-78 and used raw umber oil paint with X-20 so I could do the grains with the brush.
It works good enough for the hidden panels.

gluing the fuselage was easier than expected. No putty needed, but some buffing out to smooth the seams.

Again, if I had to choose between Tamiya and Eduard photo-etch, this is why I would go for the Eduard.

Trying to show how the wood panels look, but it's damn impossible.
Anyway, a tip: don't rely on Eduard's PE glue, add CA glue also.

I assembled the wing pillars because I want to putty those big seams, as the real plane doesn't have them.
I want to detail a little more the engine (I cut the ring and want to add spark wires), and then I will spay it white, then camouflage (you guys also convinced me to paint the cowl part camouflage instead of black).

Thank you all, will keep you posted.

Mike, dust out your Swordfish and let's finish it. I believe you still haven't completed it nor thrown it away, correct?

According to everyone.
It's a very good job and it will be interesting to see that engine and later how all that wiring of the wings will look.

Saludos

New video of the assemble before painting.
Got the spark wires idea here, thank you all.
I am now a little afraid that the nail polish ruined the plastic. It looks less shiny, but not broken.
Will post pictures soon.

Work from yesterday.

I wasn't planning at all to do the black primer, but I don't think it was right to have the under wings all white with no different shades.

So, I copied the pros, and did the whole pre-shading.

I am still struggling with my cheap airbrush/ paint. Sometimes it flows just about right, sometimes it sprinkles and spews, but I believe if I apply thin layers, I will be able to amend and get a nice coat.

Users who are viewing this thread