Tamiya Bf109E-4/7 1/48

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

VresiBerba

Recruit
Sep 15, 2010
This will be my first build here and my first German WWII aircraft and I thought it would be a good idea to start with something simple, and this kit by Tamiya seems simple enough. I don't mind a few discrepancies here and there, I'm no rivet-counter by any measure, in fact I would regard myself a complete rookie having only built two planes so far.
TM61063.jpg

I would like to build "black 8" from 2./JG 27 and I have a few questions. Did this plane feature the bomb rack and/or the drop tank, and would RLM 79 with RLM 80 mottling be the correct colours, with RLM 76 underside, or is it RLM 78. Also, which seatbelt would be the proper one to have from the below picture.
pict1304.jpg

The answer to the first question... it doesn't matter as it was the same rack. It could be or not depending on a task that was going to be carried out.
The answer to the second one... the camo scheme was of RLM78/79/80.

Thanks a lot for that. I was a bit confused as Tamiya suggests AS-5 for the underside and the references for AS-5 seems to range from RLM 76 to RLM 78 or 'thereabouts'. But just to be clear about this, it's RLM 78 for the underside and the side of the fuselage, and RLM 80 over RLM 79 for the topside?

Yes.. the main camo colours were RLM78 on undersides and sides and RLM79 on topsides. RLM80 was used for mottling.

And here you are the RLM76 and RLM78 for comparing of their tonalities. Quite close these were , weren't they.

Attachments

• rlm76.jpg
    rlm76.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 354
  • rlm78.jpg
    rlm78.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Fabulous! Now I can start on the cockpit, but I still need to know what seatbelt to use. What would you suggest, Wurger? The "black 8" suggests it's a late Emil but still a relatively early 109 which Eduard suggests should be the fourth belt from the left, on the above picture.

Of course we talk about the Bf109E-7/Trop....right?

Attachments

• Bf109-E7Trop-8.jpg
    Bf109-E7Trop-8.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 243
  • Bf109-E7Trop-84.jpg
    Bf109-E7Trop-84.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 248
  • Bf109-E7Trop-8 profile.jpg
    Bf109-E7Trop-8 profile.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 313
  • Bf109-E7Trop-8 profile1.jpg
    Bf109-E7Trop-8 profile1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 245
And here you are shots of the Bf109 cockpit that can come in handy for choosing of these seat belts. The first one is from AJ-Press monography for Bf109E and the second diagram from book Aero Detail series no.1.

Attachments

• Bf109-E7Trop-cockpit.jpg
    Bf109-E7Trop-cockpit.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 975
  • Bf109-E7Trop-cockpit1.jpg
    Bf109-E7Trop-cockpit1.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,804
And thanks a plenty for the seatbelt suggestions, amazing info! The fact that the belt goes through the seat is crucial and very informative, I didn't know that. Thanks again.

Last edited:
You'r welcome. The later variants of Bf109 had these seat belts fixed in a different way.

Here is a link to my thread about assembling of the Airfix 1/24 scale Bf109E with pictures of the chair and belts that can be useful as well. Scroll the 6th page a little bit down where is the start of the build part and then go to the 7th page for the rest .If you have some of free time you can go through the entire thread. To be honest I would like to know your opinion. Happy reading.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/st...fix-1-24-scale-bf109e-bed-thorns-25559-6.html

Last edited:
Hi VB. *waves from the neighbour country* ;)

You'll find the kit a pleasure to work with, it's simple, detailed, and easy to work with.
I did one just like it for the BoB Group Build as my first model kit since I was a teenager, and if I can do an okay model, then I'd bet that yours'll be great. ;) It'll be cool to follow your progress.

Cheers,

Maria.

Geez ..Jan , would you be so kind and could change your avatar. I have started suffering from seasickness looking at this. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back