Testors Me 163

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
Walked down to my local hobby shop (a block away - Jeez, I love this town!) and while rumaging through the kits found this little kit. Never knew Testors made planes besides the paint and was curious. And the price was right for a 1/48 kit. Can anybody tell how it builds out and any problems?

Oh and the big question is can anybody tell me why I HAD to get this jet? :)

Attachments

• tess1625.jpg
    tess1625.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 120
I've had the Testors Me 321 He 111z and they went together fairly nicely, did not have any issues with them so hopefully it spilled over onto their other kits.

Now in regards to your 2nd question, the answer obviously is "because".

Built one a looooooong time ago, pretty basic not too bad considering it's age. Compared to the Dragon release it's Chalk and Cheese...

and "because" is right!!:lol:

Last edited:
Testors kits seem to be sparse in detail (To me) and sometimes don't have great fits. If your willing to add extra detail it will make a great model.

Ask Guttorm he built on in 10 minutes :lol: (IIRC)

From the review Jack posted

"This kit is probably one of the worst 1:48 scale models that I have ever attempted to build. At the time I purchased the kit there were very few offerings at 1:48 scale and I decided to attempt changing this "sow's ear into a silk purse"!

One of the first things that become apparent is that the canopy scales out at about 0.30 metres in thickness and is represented as a single piece with the armoured screen as two lines inscribed on the inner surface. It also becomes painfully apparent that if you like building cockpits, (and who doesn't?), then this kit gives you almost nothing to use. A single laughable pilot is supplied on a rudimentary seat that is attached to the fuselage on two locating pins.

The overall dimensions of the kit are close enough when compared with the scale drawings available, provided you don't look too close. There are no ejection chutes for the wing root cannons and the trolley/skid arrangement is pathetic. The tail wheel is firmly in the landing position, tough if you wish to display the model in take off mode. The only sensible thing to do is to hack the thing off and scrounge parts elsewhere.

Boy! What a challenge! Thankfully I had a Dragon Me-163S-1 and the Hasegawa kit to draw upon for spares."

If i see this kit, i know i am young to the modeling, because i never seen it before; but i built in the past the Cessna Skymaster and so the fit will be good. Gooud Luck and stay us informed .

greets Thomas

A lot of the old Hawk kits, tough basic, were good overall, especially for the time, and allow a lot of scope for scratch-building etc. I should have some pics and layout drawings of the cockpit if you need them Chris.

Its not something I'm gonna do at the moment. Just collecting! :)

Gotta gear up for the BoB Group Build. Still haven't figured out what plane - I mean what Hurricane.

I know what you mean Chris. I've got two 'emils' to do in 1/32nd, but want to add the Ju88 for the Czech museum, and another Hurricane. Time and space won't allow though.....I think......

Yeah always have been, always will. Jan, can you tell me why I had to get this kit? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back