Thank a WWII vet part two (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

meatloaf109

1st Lieutenant
Jan 1, 2012
north carolina
My Dad was a world war two veteran whose history I have posted elsewhere, I just recieved a box from my mother that she said contained things that my father wanted me to have.
There was a hat that he wore with justifiable pride, "DD-706 Gainard, WW2 Vet", and the model I built for him about 35 years ago of the U.S.S.Gainard.
It has suffered some over the years. Mom said that he was proud to show it.
It was one of my first attempts at major scratchbuilding.
I am torn between leaving it as it is, or bringing it up to current standards.

dad2.jpg

dad1.jpg

For all the differences that we had, I still miss him.

Last edited:
I agree. Leave it as it is.

When my dad died, I got all his models and WWII books, etc. In my model display case I have his models - even the ones he did as a kid - just they way they are along with a plague presented to him from the Confederate Air Force. Some are half completed, some are dusty and old, but....they're my dad's and thats the way I like them and remember him.

I agree with Eric and the rest, leave her as is.:salute: Now, if you could find another one and do it the way your talking about, I think that's what I would do. Just my opinion for what it is worth.

Thanks to all, I will leave it as is. I would build another, but I cannot remember the kit used to build this one. The Gainard was a modified Sumner class, It had an extra 40mm mount in place of a set of torpedo tubes, reflecting its intended job as a radar picket/ AA platform to battle kamikazes.
I remember using the hull, main deck and some of the basic superstructure. I think I used the 40mm mounts from some other ship. Everything else was scratched with styreen sheet and stretched sprue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back