The American airshow, Duxford, May 2016.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ah, yes, the famous shutter stock. I was concerned about the graininess considering your gear. Handy having two rigs for airborne and ground shots. Saves, fiddling about with lenses, which I find myself doing since I only have the one camera. I think increasing the ISO might help get rid of the graininess, but a steady hand is required, I guess. Very nice to see what's hot at DX these days.

Thanks very much chaps, more to come soon, with a slight improvement in quality as the murk lifted and the sun came out.

Grant, most of the 'graininess' is due to the shots to date, apart from being taken in poor conditions, have been cropped and enlarged from small images in the center of the frame, as the subjects were, mostly, a long way away.
I used to always use two camera bodies when I was using 35mm film, for exactly that reason of not having to change lenses. When I changed to digital, I started off with the Fuji 'bridge' camera, then got the Nikon D3100 kit, which came with the Nikon 18-55mm lens, and a Sigma 70-300mm zoom lens.
I bought a Nikon 55-300mm lens, as I found the Sigma a tad slow on auto focus, for airshow work, and my hands won't allow me to use manual focus, which I'd prefer.
I then picked up the Nikon D80 at a great price, as a used, almost new body, and now use that with the 300mm Nikon lens, and to be honest, most ground shots, and nearly all static stuff, are done with the little Fuji, which is a great all round camera, relatively inexpensive, and a good way to add that second camera to your outfit.

Thanks Paul.
I've just checked the D80, and it was set at 200 ISO - I must have accidentally adjusted it, via the 'thumb wheel', when handling the camera !
Here's a few of the lovely Stinson, and one of the Boeing 'Kaydets'.

Thanks all.
The next two posts show the Hurricane and Spitfire Mk1, along with the Spitfire MkV, representing the 'Eagle' Squadrons of the RAF, manned by American volunteers, before America entered the war.
These Squadrons went on to form the 4th Fighter Group of the 8th USAAF - Fourth, but first !
Whilst the Hurricane and Spit 1 flew formation patterns, the Spitfire MkV performed aerobatics above them. Pics of the latter are not so sharp, as by then, the sun was starting to break through properly, and there was quite a haze.

Thanks very much, Wojtek and Andy.

After the previous display of Primary Trainers, three Harvards (or AT-6/Texan in American parlance) represented the Advanced Trainers of the US Army Air Corps /Air Force, with colour schemes of the Portugese Air Force, US Navy, and the California ANG on show.

Users who are viewing this thread