The Best Bomber of WWII: #4

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The thread said best bomber - I think if you want to get specific then break it up into light, medium and heavy. In either case I think if you did that and went for the best over-all bomber the B-29 still takes it.

And thats 4 months that it was not putting out maximum production. That helps.

Dont take me wrong I do not want to take away from the medium bombers. I think that they made a major effort to the war in the use of tactical bombing.
Yes it helps, just like the tactical bombers helps as you say in the next line, exactly my point.

Im to scared to post.......there is war in the forum :) :)
:lol: No worries eddie, no war here, just a quite polite discussion, exactly what a forum is there for.

Marcel has a valid point; to be able to truly discover what was the best you should see which was the best at doing their job - not every other job in the war. Meaning, a tactical bomber could have been better at doing its job than the B-29 was at doing its job - otherwise you're comparing two different aircraft doing two different jobs (just dropping bombs was a strategic bombers job description, not the same for a tactical bomber).

Again, exactly my point.

The thread said best bomber - I think if you want to get specific then break it up into light, medium and heavy. In either case I think if you did that and went for the best over-all bomber the B-29 still takes it.
Yes, that's exacly what I'm saying. You can't go for the best overal bomber as there is none. It's like saying that a car is the best transportation in the world. It is as long as you don't want to travel 8000 km or just going upstairs for that matter :) And again the B29 was probably the most advanced and best plane in that could deliver bombs but was it better in it's job than the B25, mossy, Ju88 their own job job?

Marcel, the attacks on the German petro industry was extremely damaging to their economy. The fact the LW commited so many resources to protect it is an indixation how sensitive they viewed the matter.

Only the heavy bombers could attack them.
Yes and I already agreed. I think the biggest impact that the heavy bombers made in ETO was destroying the romenian oilfields. It hampered the german war machinery. I never claimed the heavy bombing did not help but to say that heavy bombers alone did alter the course of war is a bit too far. A groundwar was still needed and there tactical bombers did their share. War couldn't be won without the one nor the other. The machines, especially the B29 were very good in their role, but so were some of the medium bombers in theirs. And all nescessary. Midway clearly showed that light divebombers could make as much impact on a war as heavy bombers, that's my point.

Typical sys response there. You're not doing yourself any favours getting all upset because you made a mistake. To avoid it stop blabbing about how only heavy bombers can attack oil plants, because mediums and lights did too.

I only needed to mention three operations of one squadron in one year to show everyone it wasn't a sole heavy bomber affair.

A B-24 is hardly a match for a Lanc as the B-24 needed more crew than the Lanc and that the Lanc could carry a bigger bomb load to Berlin from Britain than the B-24.

A B-24 is hardly a match for a Lanc as the B-24 needed more crew than the Lanc and that the Lanc could carry a bigger bomb load to Berlin from Britain than the B-24.

It was proven in the thread that the Lanc was better than the B24 in placing more bombs on target, as well as having a better bomb load and could carry oversize bombs.

And the Lib took bigger bombloads to Rabual Rangoon and numerous other places in the CBI and PTO and the Lib sank more subs then the Lanc and the Lib had the advantage of 2 pilots

While I agree the Lancaster was an overall better bomber than the B-24, I still find this post amusing. I dont know why. Sorry...

personally the lancaster hands down (in the role of a heavy anyway) The B17 in my opinion gets nailed because it was a flying fortress and not a bomber.
The B 24 is nice but it has already pointed out why the Lanc was superior.
The B 29 did not see enough service sure it nuked Japan but that is quite differn't to going through germany for over 3 years dropping bombs while getting shot down by aircraft and flak.

personally the lancaster hands down (in the role of a heavy anyway) The B17 in my opinion gets nailed because it was a flying fortress and not a bomber.
The B 24 is nice but it has already pointed out why the Lanc was superior.
The B 29 did not see enough service sure it nuked Japan but that is quite differn't to going through germany for over 3 years dropping bombs while getting shot down by aircraft and flak.

How did the B-29 not see eneogh service. It flew over Japan for over a year and dropped plenty of bombs. Over Germany it would have been better than anything else because of its advanced technology and its ability to fly higher.

The B-29 is the best heavy bomber hands down and it really cant be argued.

And not only did the B-29 drop bombs, it dropped mines through out Japan's waterways helping in the blockade of the country.

And the Lib took bigger bombloads to Rabual Rangoon and numerous other places in the CBI and PTO and the Lib sank more subs then the Lanc and the Lib had the advantage of 2 pilots

I used that line of argument too. The B24 was the superior of the two in the PTO.

But, in Europe, the ultimate decider was the USSBS results which showed the Lanc was the better of the three types.

The main purpose of a bomber is to accurately place bombs on target. And the most and biggest is the winner.

So did the Lanc

The lanc was a great bomber and arguably the best in ETO (apart from that belly turret:) ), but the B29 was just half a generation further in development. It did prove it's worth against the Japanese homeland in the last year of the war. I'm not sure how it would have fared against the German air defence as it was much better than the Japanese but I suspect equally if not better than the B17, B24, Lanc and Halifaxes, but with a higher payload.

Even the P-38 was used as a strategical bomber, attacking the Ploiesti oil refineries.

And about the Lanc ... the Halifax was as good as the Lancaster but was around two years before the Lanc! And was more versatile. And faster...

Kris

I think the Lancaster was the best heavy of the war (accept for maybe the B29 but that was very late on in the war). I mean it could carry 14,000lb to Berlin! And some very heavy special presents! 22,000lb Glam slam! With the B24 second. I don't rate the fortress at all! I read in "Mosquito stories" that the Fortress in order to get to Berlin could only carry 4,000lb at a speed of 200mph! Yet the pregnant mossie light bomber could carry a 4,000lb cookie to berlin at 300mph! and complete the trip in half the time! It also didn't waste millions of .50 rounds or five crew members (as it carry two crew compared with seven)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back