The Crimean War?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
The Crimean War that was fought 1853–1856 and between Imperial Russia on one side and an alliance of France, the United Kingdom, the Kingdom of Sardinia, and the Ottoman Empire on the other. Most of the conflict took place on the Crimean Peninsula, with additional actions occurring in western Turkey, and the Baltic Sea region.

What could have been and should have been done differently? What's your view of the war?

Just one good general and a better supply system. Just a quick possibly wrong answer but thats what I remember from reading about the war. Too many thought it was a holiday.

The Crimean War that was fought 1853–1856 and between Imperial Russia on one side and an alliance of France, the United Kingdom, the Kingdom of Sardinia, and the Ottoman Empire on the other. Most of the conflict took place on the Crimean Peninsula, with additional actions occurring in western Turkey, and the Baltic Sea region.

What could have been and should have been done differently? What's your view of the war?

What should have been done? Give the war a miss! LOL! This was one of the most pointless wars, at least from the British perspective. It was really only fought to "teach the Russians a lesson", the Russian army had tried to move down the coast of the Black sea to threaten Turkey. They ended up retreating because of resistance in Rumania, but for mostly political reasons the French wanted to keep fighting, the British went along. After a siege a huge assault the Allies captured Sevastopol, then (and now) a major naval base. A very costly adventure, without any great benefits. And considering that one of the main motivations was to prop up the corrupt Ottoman empire, It's hard to see why they did it.

I thought I would revive this thread as clearing out my late fathers things I found a collection of 40 photographs
The Crimean war was one of the first conflicts to have a Photographer recording the events

The first image is of Cornet Wilkins one of the 11th Hussars who made up part of the Light brigade as you can see the horse is in very poor condition which was common in the Crimea.
The second shot is of the French general , Bosquet (seated)
He saw the charge of the light brigade take place from Sapoune' hieghts and remarked
"C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre"
"It's magnificent, but it's not war"

Another elderly French officer remarked with tears in his eyes
"I'm old, I've seen some battles, but this is too much"

Attachments

• 11th Hussars.jpg
    11th Hussars.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 74
  • General Bosquet.jpg
    General Bosquet.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 75

Users who are viewing this thread