The Doolittle Raid....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
What other aircraft could have been used, other than the B-25?

9b5002b20e96c11d1e7db31bbeac12a1.jpg

3a116c5e0e2fe604e2a85495a31b7a56.jpg

I've read that the B-23 Dragon was under consideration, but its wingspan nixed it.

Retrosprectroscope warmed up: for such a silly idea, the B-25 fit perfectly. Small enough for a healthy deck-park, STOL enough to make it happen.

I think on the day in question the weather undoubtedly helped. The newsreel film footage taken that day shows some very windy conditions; one of the B-25s was airborne well before reaching the front of the flight deck.

The Marauder fan in me wants to say "use the B-26", but the side of me that knows anything about that airplane's flight characteristics finds that extremely unlikely given that even at the ludicrously light gross weight listed in the B-26 flight manual of 26,734 lbs it still took an early Marauder 2,500 ft to take off, and that's a plane that would wind up mostly flying at a gross weight of 31,000 to 33,000 lbs. Would love to see it happen though. It fits the criteria of short wingspan (65 ft) and of being available at the time, but definitely lacks the STOL characteristics needed. Might go through that manual later to see what can be removed from the aircraft, but I have no way of knowing how that would affect range or STOL ability.

The B-25 is really just the perfect plane for this mission, so much so that Ted Lawson (aircraft #7) was able to clear the deck with his flaps retracted. The 1944 film makes it seem like he forgot, but I just read the book and according to the man himself he extended them, then retracted them again because he was worried about them being sheered off given how badly they caused the plane to shake in the wind (Lawson, 1943, p. 70 for those interested).

Okay, who in here is a madddd collector of Doolittle stuff. I'm getting too old to keep a book, signed!
PM me.
BTW, I have that bottom print, got it at a reunion in Bakersfield, I believe it was. Flew in inna Cessner 150-D! Exciting to see them who were left way back then, 30 years ago........................ what?????

Either the Martin Maryland or Lockheed Hudson could have executed the mission.

I have no idea, although I wouldn't think training would be filmed

I do not beleive any photos or films were taken during the trials and practices since it was absolutely top-secret at the time.

Not "shot" as in filmed, "shot" as in "shot touch-and-gos". I seem to remember Gen Doolittle mentioning practicing taking off the airplane in the requisite space (450' iirc) in South Carolina.

I know these weren't filmed.

A carrier can turn into the wind, and increase the wind speed across the deck even more by increasing it's speed.
What good does it do to practice takeoffs on a stationary aircraft carrier sized field, that might or might not be situated right for the wind direction ?
Maybe just learning to get the nose up quick, and realizing everything is going to happen much faster on the aircraft carrier would be some help.

What good does it do to practice takeoffs on a stationary aircraft carrier sized field, that might or might not be situated right for the wind direction ?

Most airfields are set up aligned with the prevailing winds.

And if you can get off in 450' from an airfield that's not adding 27 kts to your headwind, the extra help from the ship's speed will only make the task easier when it comes time to execute the mission..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back