The Doolittle Raid....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep guys, typo: 1940 = 1941

I keep seeing the prospect of the Mosquito being suggested and I put that question out there as Devil's advocate.

To the best of my knowledge (and I am far from an expert on anything, let alone DH aircraft), the Mosquito started deliveries in fall of '41 (fairly close to the time the P-38E was starting to be delivered).
Which (like the P-38E) leaves little time for crews to work up solid experience in the type before the two month intensive training prior to April.
There is also the bit about the RAF wanting to share their brand new toy with the pesky colonists. So even *IF* the RAF was being nice, would there even be 24 Mossies in hand by October? I don't have production numbers handy, but I seriously doubt it.

In the end, the B-25 was the perfect (and obvious) type for the mission.

Standard P-38s only had two hard points at this time. 2000lb bomb load is two 1000lb bombs, not four 500lb bombs. If one point is carrying a drop tank then you get one bomb, pick size. Using more than two underwing stores increases drag and reduces range. The 500lb bundle of incendiaries each B-25 carried might have been an awkward load under a P-38.

Do larger than 150 gallon tanks exist for the P-38 at this point?

Is the 2000 mile range of the P-38 done at Ferry speeds with no allowances?

A P-38 could burn 2-3 times the amount of fuel per minute at high cruising speeds as it did at most economical cruise. This is not Military (5 or minute rating) but the 1 hour/max continuous rating or even less. Even a 1/2 hour at near 300mph speeds at low level could shorten the max range by 200-300 miles.

How fast to you want to fly from the east coast of Japan to the west coast and out over the water to get beyond the range of Japanese fighters?
The B-25s actually flew a good part of the length of Japan and not just cross wise.

Standard P-38s only had two hard points at this time. 2000lb bomb load is two 1000lb bombs, not four 500lb bombs. If one point is carrying a drop tank then you get one bomb, pick size. Using more than two underwing stores increases drag and reduces range. The 500lb bundle of incendiaries each B-25 carried might have been an awkward load under a P-38.

Do larger than 150 gallon tanks exist for the P-38 at this point?

Is the 2000 mile range of the P-38 done at Ferry speeds with no allowances?

A P-38 could burn 2-3 times the amount of fuel per minute at high cruising speeds as it did at most economical cruise. This is not Military (5 or minute rating) but the 1 hour/max continuous rating or even less. Even a 1/2 hour at near 300mph speeds at low level could shorten the max range by 200-300 miles.

How fast to you want to fly from the east coast of Japan to the west coast and out over the water to get beyond the range of Japanese fighters?
The B-25s actually flew a good part of the length of Japan and not just cross wise.

Exactly. The tankage/bombload/range thing isn't really happening with the P-38.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back