The Feast is ON

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

javlin

2nd Lieutenant
Nov 20, 2007
MS
It's 7:30AM and the bird is in the oven.It will be a light year this year only 9 adults(actually 10 son turned 18 :) ) and 1 child.The menu is going easy this year also 15lb bird,cornbread stuffing,cranberry sauce,mashed potatoes/gravy,green beans,corn,rolls.I made up 4 pumpkin rolls w/cream cheese fillings(gave two rolls to(4) neighors on street) for desert and 4 pies the sister-in-law bought.Then it's on to SAINTS and COWGIRLS!!!!I hope

Whats the menu guys and throw out some recipes if you dare and I might try it next year.For in my house if you eat right its because I was the cook and not the beautiful wife she was brought into the fold for other reasons :lol:
So share and Happy Thanksgiving!! CHEERS

Happy Thanksgiving Kevin, sounds like a winner over there, cept for the size of ur bird... Man, what u doin killin a little baby 15 lb turkey for???

We're having 3 adults and 2 kids over here and we got us a 22 pounder, love me some leftovers...

Only thing different this year is that I tried a new idea with the bird that the wife found.... U take 6 tablespoons of butter cut into 6 pieces, and after prying the skin over the breast away from the meat, place all 6 across the top of the bird, under the skin... Supposed to keep that fat ol breast succulent and juicy.... Lookin forward to the first slab of breast meat...

We are having Game Hens, Mashed taters, cornbread stuffin, cranberry sauce, green bean cassaroll. Wont start cooking till about noon. Have a great day everyone.

Les, I did that last year with our turkey, and trust me it works. It is very good, you will see :)

Last edited:
Let me know Dan I read that yesterday and was a bit spectulative about it.I know a buddy of mine smoked a turkey all night and just kept putting sticks of butter in the cavity.It was to this day the most tender and flavorful turkey I think I ever ate.The only thing is the temp has stay right all night for the next year he tried it and the tukey was green in spots the next day aarrrgh.:cry:

Beau I do mine in a brine of Koster salt for about 12hrs it works pretty well on keeping them tender but the butter adds flavor also.

Dan I luv leftovers to but am really the only person in the house that eats them I should get a couple of plates leftover ;)

Last edited:
No cooking from me this year!! But I'm with you Javlin - I'm the cook during these big holidays. I did Rashana (goofy Catholic here! ) this year with turkey so my holiday cooking is done for the year. I also seep in brine and toss a few sticks butter inside though that skin trick I might try.

Happy TG!!!

I get to eat twice today and I don't have to cook a thing! The only thing that will make it a perfect Thanksgiving is to see the Cowturds get stomped by the Saints.

I get to eat twice today and I don't have to cook a thing! The only thing that will make it a perfect Thanksgiving is to see the Cowturds get stomped by the Saints.

I am with ya brother.The wife is a bigger fan than I am :lol:

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Had Thanksgiving twice this year...

We did our Thanksgiving last Saturday because my wife has to work today (Germans don't celebrate today). We had 20 people over and did Turkey (did a 28 pounder), Ham, Mac and Cheese, Cranberry Sauce, Mashed Potatoes, Green Been Casserole, Stuffing, Deviled Eggs, Shrimp Cocktail, Veggie Platter, Candied Yams, Dinner Rolls, Broccoli with Cheddar Cheese, Pecan Pie, Pumpkin Pie, and an Apple Pie.

Everything home made of course (except the pies, I don't do pies).

For the Turkey I made a mixture of paprika, salt and oil and basted the turkey over and over until it was done. It gave it a really nice dark crust and lots of flavor, keeping the juices inside. I also baked the turkey at a low temperature for a bit longer and there was not a piece of meat on that turkey that was not juicy.

For the ham, I cut lines into it and at every intersection placed a full clove for flavor. The glaze was made out of brown sugar, stone ground mustard and apple cider vinegar.

Wonderful!

turk.jpg

ham.jpg

Then today since my wife was working I went up to the airfield with some soldier friends of mine and had Thanksgiving with the soldiers at the Mess Hall. They always do a good job as well serving all the normal things. Turkey, Ham, Shrimp, Prime Rib, Stuffing, etc...

Don't have much family left, but were all going to my brothers house because we don't have much of a dining room. Me, my wife, the two kids, my mother-in-law, my brother and maybe my aunt if she's feeling up to it. We're doing most of the cooking and bringing it over except the turkey which I just dropped off at his house and put it in the oven. Sour creme mashed potatoes, seven layer salad, green bean casserole, stuffing of coarse, my special rice, cranberry sauce, and the kids are in the kitchen now with my wife making the pumpkin pies.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!!

Before I shove the bird full of butter, I mix the butter with a cajun seasoning. Once im done filling the bird up, I smear butter on the outside, and sprinkle more cajun seasoning on the outside, and once its done, enjoy a lovely cajun bird, thats nice and spicy. The kids and wify love it.

That sounds good there Glenn.Whats the deal with the rice?care to divulge any trade secrets?:)

That sounds good there Glenn.Whats the deal with the rice?care to divulge any trade secrets?:)
I'm just about to start to make it. The rice is just normal white rice, in fact I'm using boil-in -bag rice. The special part is you fry up chopped onion in butter and put it on the side. chop up the turkey liver extremely fine and fry it up in the same pan with the butter, then mix the onion and the liver with the cooked rice and add some salt to taste. That's it, very simple and tastes great. The original recipe calls for chopped celery to be fried with the onion, but I don't really care for celery so I skip it.

Attachments

• PB253708.JPG
    PB253708.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
We are off to my Dad's place in about an hour. Good Lord above it is the same every year. Enough to feed a division. According to my Dad he is making the following.

* Smoked Turkey
* Smoked Kielbasa
* Smoked Pork Butt
* Sausage/cornbread stuffed turkey breast cooked in the oven
* Fried okra
* Sweet potatoes
* Mashed potatoes
* Southern green beans (don't ask)
* Homemade biscuits
* Lemon Icebox Pie
* Coconut shrimp appetizers (because surely Dad doesn't want us to leave hungry)

Well at least we will have a week of left overs.

I'm bringing the Knob Creek. :toothy5:

Happy Thanksgiving to all, pretty much the same menue over here. The only thing different is that I heard somewhere that if you cook the bird breast-side down the white meat is much juicer, we'll see. The German in me requires sauerkraut (Bavarian-style) with my turkey. lastly made 4 pies two pumpkin and two sweet potato. The sweet was from scratch 'cause you can't get it in the can.
Two sons and daughter with their family arriving any minute so 5 grandkids in all. Eldest two kids doing their own thing

We will be heading to my wife's aunt and uncle's house for thanksgiving in about an hour or so. Not sure everything that will be in the menu, but we never leave hungry from there. Two weekends in a row to stuff this year as Hanukkah starts next week and we host that, so I should probably put on about 15-20 lbs in the next couple of weekends. ;)

Happy thanksgiving everyone!

Tell me about the 15-20 lbs! :lol:

After having Thanksgiving last Saturday, I have been eating left overs (Love them Turkey and Ham Sandwiches afterwords), up until today, then today I had Thanksgiving again at the airfield mess hall and then this weekend we are at the in-laws for Goose, Red Cabbage, Stuffing and Knoeddel (a german dumpling type thing made out of bread).

I do not want to even stand on the scale in the bathroom, I am afraid I will break it! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back