The Feast is ON

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Glen sounds easy enough and cheap enough to not be afraid of it but the celery and maybe green peppers to finish out the trinity.Chris sounds like a load of food, Matt sounds like you will need to diet or explode old boy and Beau does that go good with gravy.I like fried turkey but as finger food(gravy not good here) and yours is not fried but baked but what do you do for the gravy?The Cowgirls so far lets hope it stays that way but the crowd is rumbling out there number now is 14 adults:rolleyes:Cheers

Well, what i did for gravy was take the juices and small pieces of scrap (usually stuff that falls off during the cooking process) that fell off the game hens, and put those in a skillit. Heat it back up, if its cold, and put flour and milk in it and heat till real thick. Its a southern gravy (me being from Louisiana), and you just salt it to taste. I dont do it often for Thanksgiving, except when I have no other source of gravy. I do the homemade gravy thing more when I make country fried steaks, just put flour and milk in, heat it up till thick, and salt to taste.

And oh yes, it does go good with gravy.

It was just me and the wife this year. Made Turkey, mashed potatoes, corn, stuffing and pumpkin pie. She is off to work tonight and we both have to work tomorrow. T Bolt, I am going to have to try to make some of your special rice, looks really good. Happy Thanksgiving All!

We are off to my Dad's place in about an hour. Good Lord above it is the same every year. Enough to feed a division. According to my Dad he is making the following.

* Smoked Turkey
* Smoked Kielbasa
* Smoked Pork Butt
* Sausage/cornbread stuffed turkey breast cooked in the oven
* Fried okra
* Sweet potatoes
* Mashed potatoes
* Southern green beans (don't ask)
* Homemade biscuits
* Lemon Icebox Pie
* Coconut shrimp appetizers (because surely Dad doesn't want us to leave hungry)

Well at least we will have a week of left overs.

I'm bringing the Knob Creek. :toothy5:

I made it home... :puke: ... barely.

Well I had the best compliments on the turkey this year of any in fact on the second go round at my last post the last 4lbs of turkey got leveled :shock:My Wife said this was the most enjoyable TG yet went off w/o a hitch.She and her relatives told me several times today the best turkey in a few years and it showed-no leftovers.The last of them left after the SAINTS VICTORY!!Who Dat! The cowgirls put up a fight-getting better.Till next year CYA and lets hope we all the same members + new ones sit around the Table again.CHEERS

PS: 1 1/2lbs of kosher salt to the brine for a min of 12hrs I think that did it.;)

Oy, I feel like I am going to pop! My wife's aunt had a 27 lb bird! Add the stuffing, yams, kasha, rolls and salads and it was a gorge-fest. Then 4 different pies, cookies, ice cream and cupcakes for dessert. If anyone left hungry, they have a tape-worm!

Well, roasting a turkey breast-side down makes no difference except it doesn't turn that nice crispy brown color so that will be a first and last. Left-overs tonight!!
Wayne, thank you sir, I know that you are getting into spring Down-under but in your fall, don't you have some type of harvest festival?

Well, roasting a turkey breast-side down makes no difference except it doesn't turn that nice crispy brown color so that will be a first and last.

Mike, Try soaking the turkey in a brine solution next time for at least 8 hours. Also start out at 500 for 30 minutes then back down the heat to 350 for the rest of the time. Juicy turkey with extra crispy skin. Makes a world of difference.

Mike, Try soaking the turkey in a brine solution next time for at least 8 hours. Also start out at 500 for 30 minutes then back down the heat to 350 for the rest of the time. Juicy turkey with extra crispy skin. Makes a world of difference.

thats what i do. put the bird (20lbs) in a cooler full of brine over night. then stuf it and cook upside down. i didnt run it up to 500 degrees tho. was moist and juicy. highly recommend this method. been doing it for the last couple of years and never let me down.

Viking Bobby, I would think that the brine would act to draw all the moisture out of the turkey? I'll give it a try
I also use one of those nylon turkey bags to seal everything in. Also bought one of those "burn your house down" deep fryers. Used it once. You known the chevy chase Xmas movie, remember the turkey? that's what all 23lbs of mine did. the thermometer was broken and I probably cooked it at 600 degrees

i thought that it would be saltier than heck but it doesnt do that either. i have to give the credit to an old girl friend of mine who told me how to do this. was skeptical but it does work well. i even do this with whole chickens too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back