The Food Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Philly Cheese steaks. I am terrified of going across this country and encountering what everyone thinks it is. I have heard horror stories about them. I don't understand what is so hard - easy to make...... with the right ingredients.

View attachment 726596
i have a version of that on my menu !

Philly Cheese steaks. I am terrified of going across this country and encountering what everyone thinks it is. I have heard horror stories about them. I don't understand what is so hard - easy to make...... with the right ingredients.

View attachment 726596
My version

20230624_164518.jpg

I'm sorry but that is just the Chef Ramsey/Jaimie Oliver version of a Philly cheesesteak. You proved my point. No one knows how to make one outside of the Philadelphia Tri-state area. I'm sure it tastes great and I'm not disrespecting what you do but, naw, I'll pass! And with that, folks, I am banned!
Absolutely get your point, but sometimes customer expectations push you into adding stuff and making it look pretty.
The one thing i loved about being in America was the lack of pretence with food, especially cheap food, which i found very cheap and very good 👍

View attachment 726596
That's what I always think of when I hear Philly Cheese steaks - have had them probably too many times during my travels in the USA over the years,

I'm sorry but that is just the Chef Ramsey/Jaimie Oliver version of a Philly cheesesteak. You proved my point. No one knows how to make one outside of the Philadelphia Tri-state area. I'm sure it tastes great and I'm not disrespecting what you do but, naw, I'll pass! And with that, folks, I am banned!
Same here in California with the French Dip sandwich.
In it's original form, a French Dip has Roast Beef infused with Swiss Cheese on a toasted Pub Roll with Roast Beef broth based Au Jus on the side.

Everyone has to put their own spin on it and in doing so, is creating something entirely different. You don't put lettuce, onions, pickles, mayo, garlic butter and other crap on a French Dip. If you do, you've created a Roast Beef sandwich.
Also, all those condiments do not work well with Au Jus, at all.

Absolutely get your point, but sometimes customer expectations push you into adding stuff and making it look pretty.
The one thing i loved about being in America was the lack of pretence with food, especially cheap food, which i found very cheap and very good 👍
Next time you are here, I will take you to some great hole-in-the-wall places! Ask Marcel, I know the area!

Same here in California with the French Dip sandwich.
In it's original form, a French Dip has Roast Beef infused with Swiss Cheese on a toasted Pub Roll with Roast Beef broth based Au Jus on the side.

Everyone has to put their own spin on it and in doing so, is creating something entirely different. You don't put lettuce, onions, pickles, mayo, garlic butter and other crap on a French Dip. If you do, you've created a Roast Beef sandwich.
Also, all those condiments do not work well with Au Jus, at all.
That is how I make mine. I never heard of all that other crap. I think I did switch with provolone cheese. Wait, that is the muffuletta sandwich. I make my own olive salad mix. I make the sandwiches the way they are supposed to be made. Simple.

That is how I make mine. I never heard of all that other crap. I think I did switch with provolone cheese. Wait, that is the muffuletta sandwich. I make my own olive salad mix. I make the sandwiches the way they are supposed to be made. Simple.
The French Dip was conceived as bar food: quick and simple to make and easy for drunks to eat.

All that fluff that dumbasses are adding to it detracts from the original.

I have a friend that makes a traditional style French Dip at his Deli.

Instead of Roast Beef, he uses Prime Rib and aged Swiss. He substituted the Pub Roll for an Amoroso Roll and his Au Jus has a bit of pork fat mixed in with the Prime Rib juice.

It's f**king amazing.

Wish there was a place around here that made French Dip sandwiches other than Arby's.
There used to be a coffee shop chain called "Carrows" that offered a fantastic French Dip.
The only other place that I can think of, is Leatherby's Family Creamery, which only has a few locations left in central California (Sacramento region).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back