The Fw 190A-9 of Siegfried Baer, 5.Staffel, II./JG301, in Detail....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wayne, what did you use for the cannon fitting (ie rounded portion on upper wing)? Dremel and then careful sanding with a roundfile covered with 400grit sandpaper? Looks perfectly smooth and your compound radiuses are phenomenal.

A fine round file and a lot care!....Doing a little bit at a time and checking and re-checking with each small advance.
A lot of test fitting as you remove plastic and check the fit.
That upper wing is glued to the lower now and today I will be doing the other wing.

Catch with sanding you just have to take care and do a bit at a time and check as you go. My normal grit is 400 and or 600 for the general work and then 800/1200 to tidy and finish.

Nah, usually buy a couple of sheets of each at the local hardware store, about $1.50 per A4 sheet, we call it sandpaper rather than emery...

Cut it into smaller pieces about 2.5mm x 50mm (1" x 2")

Okay. I guess I never looked for 1200grit sandpaper. Must be in the metal section. I can't imagine using 1200 for wood. Emery paper is just another term for sandpaper of superfine grit for polishing nicks out of crystal and such.

Wayne: Looking really good. But... what are you going to do about those
bumpy looking things on the leading edge, inboard of your new cannon ? I
think I see two by the wheel well. Or are they landing lights ?

Charles

Wayne: Looking really good. But... what are you going to do about those
bumpy looking things on the leading edge, inboard of your new cannon ? I
think I see two by the wheel well. Or are they landing lights ?

Charles

Couple are sprue remainders as Matt has said and one is the gun camera port, which is rather ordinary....probably replace it.

I make sure they don't interfere with the assy and then remove after the wing sections are glued together....see below!

Attachments

• Wing assembled leading edge_0789.JPG
    Wing assembled leading edge_0789.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 173
Wow what a fantastic job of sanding Wayne... I can never get my sprue marks to look that good...

Yes you can!!

Looks real good, Wayne. Premo job ! BTW, what's your camera ?

Charles

A Pentax Optio 555, had it a long time now....wanted something that had super macro, that could get up close and personal.

Dan you just have to work along the leading edge some and around the curvature to blend the sanding and keep the 'roundness' of the shape.

There should be more than enough plastic to retain the roundness, if there is a mismatch/step use some filler to help, same goes for gaps...and blend it into the rounded shape if you need to apply extra filler so be it...

The main thing is light sanding and checking as you go...

Wait till you see one of the gaps I will have to contend with once I fit the wing to the fuselage!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back