The Movie Pop Quiz....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That movie had quite a few WWII vets.

Donald Pleasence served in the RAF and was shot down and held as POW. Been a while since I read about him, but I'm pretty sure he served aboard Lancasters.

I think thats a P-40N?
You got it!

SkyCaptain's P-40 was a P-40N :thumbleft:

A bit of info regarding Joe Sullivan's ride:
Sky Captain flies a late-model P-40, the six gun version of the P-40N. However, his has a few "Hollywoodifications": - The rear decking behind the pilot's seat, and the fuselage fuel tank under it, were removed in order to add a second seat (for Polly). This was actually done to some real P-40s for flight instruction. - The pop-open bays for the cable launcher and magnet bombs are right in the middle of the centerline fuel tank (which fills the interior of the wing between the main wheel wells). - The small underwater engines under the horizontal stabilizers would retract right into the tail wheel gear well, and into each other. - When going into underwater mode, the ostensibly solid-metal propeller blades collapse down into the prop spinner, and into a different section of space-time. The real plane's prop spinner is a shell that goes around the collars and gearing of the prop hub assembly. - Roughly 5000 horsepower appears to have been added to the 1200hp Allison engine.

The paint job is that of the "Flying Tigers", a group of American fighter pilots (supposedly) paid by the Chinese government to fight the Japanese in Burma. The "Tigers" themselves got the idea from RAF planes based in Africa in the early part of WW II. Joe briefly mentioned flying for them while arguing with Polly Perkins about his sabotaged plane. The Flying Tigers were revealed in 1991 to have been a "black" operation of the US Armed Forces under direct authorisation by President Franklin D. Rooesevelt.

Attachments

• SkyCaptain_P40.jpg
    SkyCaptain_P40.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 123
Ok, my question. In the movie "Flying Tigers". John Wayne makes a straffing run on the Japanese. When he returns
he tells the mechanic to gas and re-arm the plane, and "paint that spinner ........". What color ????

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back