The Person Below Me (TPBM)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Only on the road - and Charles the Mason-Dixon cuts across South Jersey and I was born below it! Rednecker fur sure!

TPBM is waiting for the "Get Lucky" thread to start.

Only on the road - and Charles the Mason-Dixon cuts across South Jersey and I was born below it! Rednecker fur sure!

Chris:
The survey was completed to the western limit of Maryland in 1773; in 1779 the line was extended to mark the southern boundary of Pennsylvania with Virginia (present-day West Virginia). Before the Civil War the term "Mason-Dixon Line" popularly designated the boundary dividing the slave states from the free states, and it is still used to distinguish the South from the North.

Suggest you go here for more info:

http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/us/A0832111.html

TPBM could care less...

Charles

Absolutely.... with a recording YOU control the volume ! Not so at a
concert. Don't think I fit in with (most of) the weirdos at a concert.

TPBM enjoys quiet, soothing music.....

Charles

Yes and at times I love booming, window-cracking music in my car. But Nat King Cole does nicely for me.

And Charles, regarding Mason/Dixon.....

Mason-Dixon Line

Vincent Harris sent me the following message:
As a history major in college and a South Jersey resident I feel that is my place to finally calm the confused waters of the Mason Dixon Line/New Jersey controversy. Yes, the Mason Dixon Line is the border between Pennsylvania and Maryland but if you take a ruler to a map at that border you will see that it crosses well into New Jersey, regardless of whether this was the intended purpose of this border.
The whole concept behind the Mason Dixon line revolves around landmarks. Many North Jerseans sometimes consider South Jersey as "The South". This is probably due to the distinct change in landscape that occurs travelling south into Gloucester and Salem Counties and finally into Cumberland and Cape May. This region does indeed look much like the South. It is the region that earned New Jersey the nickname "The Garden State"; known for New Jersey tomatoes.
A landmark that one would consider to be New Jersey's Mason Dixon Line is Oldman's Creek, which is the border between Gloucester and Salem counties. Using the ruler-map method you'll see that the Delaware border (Mason Dixon Line) runs directly into this creek.
Also, in the small South Jersey town of Deepwater (off the Delaware River) there is a deep swamp where a revolutionary war cemetery is located. On the other side of this swamp there is an old sign which says "Delaware Property", and it is. Delaware owns a relatively large swamp in New Jersey on this small piece of land right off the Jersey side of the Delaware River. This landmark is often looked upon as a North/South border mark. They say that Delaware won the land in a dispute with New Jersey during the Revolutionary War. This could be true in regards to the fact that Delaware, although it was considered a Union state, was prominent for slaves. Slaves would often cross over to New Jersey from Delaware to that same general area in Salem County where this swamp is located. Keep in mind that this area is known for its contributions to the Underground Railroad.
So, even if the Mason Dixon line does not officially run through New Jersey its influence has had a profound effect on the state's history.

New Jersey's Status
Lauren McGlynn kindly forwarded me this message she received from James Campbell, the historian of the Greater Cape May Historical Society, regarding whether New Jersey was ever considered a part of the South:
In colonial times there was a West Jersey and an East Jersey. If you drew a line approximately from Little Egg Harbour to Delaware Water Gap, that would have been the boundary between West Jersey and East Jersey. Presbyterian churches in this area still belong to the West Jersey Presbytery.
If you extended the Mason-Dixon Line east to the ocean, there were more slaves north of that line than there were south of the line in New Jersey.[Presumably Lauren means extending the Pennsylvania/Maryland and Pennsylvania/Delaware borders east to the ocean, since doing so would cut across part of New Jersey - JC]
I don't think you could find two people in New Jersey who would agree where South Jersey stops and North Jersey begins. One person might say zip codes beginning with 07 are in North Jersey and those that begin with 08 are in South Jersey. Another might say that telephone area code 609 is South Jersey and the others constitute North Jersey. I usually take the view that North of Trenton, the state capitol, is North Jersey and south of there is South Jersey.

Hows that for a TPBM post!! :twisted:

TPBM thinks I need medication.

Nope, got about 6 more hours before I will be too pooped out to continue in the vertical state for the day.

TPBM thinks spring is just around the corner and cannot come fast enough!!!

Yes, I think you need professional help. You may want to believe the M-D
line cuts through NJ. but it really doesn't. You can bring on all the PhD's
you wanna..... NJ is still above the Mason-Dixon line.

TPBM could care less....

Charles

Nope, I know the Mason-Dixon line doesn't come close to the frozen tundra where I live.

TPBM thinks many of todays teenagers need a swift boot in the backside to straighten up and fly right and to maybe knock thier low rider pants up to where they should be!!!

:lol: Cannot help it, my friend, I am Dutch after all :)
Yes, I'm tired of this autumn-like winter. If it isn't going to freeze after all, then let it be warm and sunny.

TPBM likes roller skates

Users who are viewing this thread

Back