The Travels of Tel's Tin Tent.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very Chool Terry, This looks more like an "Official Campground" more open and not as private. Been to some campgrounds in VERY TOURISTY areas where the motor homes were 4 feet apart so more could be jammed in and not a tree insight. I do like the paved pull-ins. Makes it so much neater and easier to level

Thanks again chaps !

I spent a couple of enjoyable hours in "The Yoxford Boys" bar last night, mainly chatting to mine host, Mike, and a more elderly local, Eric, who has lived here all his life. It was good to hear the old Suffolk dialect (many residents in these parts are from elsewhere), although Eric spoke twenty to the dozen, so a tad hard to keep track at times !
He was able to describe the area, and the airfield, as it was when he was a boy, in the early 1950's, little changed from what it was like during WW2, and provided some fascinating information.
The bar has very recently been redecorated, and used to be more 'traditional', with dark wood panels etc, and the "Yoxford Boys" title above the bar itself, but there are still numerous photos and prints on the walls, maintaining the link with the former airfield.
The rather poor photos below give some idea of the place - these were taken again with the little Fuji, hand-held, available light, no flash, hence the blurred look in some shots.
First pic is Mike behind the bar, the rest general shots.

I'll be setting off soon to visit the airfield and museum at Framlingham (Parham), which is only about ten miles away, and hope to meet up with an old friend, if he's there today.
More up-dates when I get back to the campsite.

Norfolk tour 061.JPG
Norfolk tour 063.JPG
Norfolk tour 064.JPG
Norfolk tour 065.JPG
Norfolk tour 066.JPG

Well, it has been a rather frustrating, disappointing day.
I set out for the airfield museum at Framlingham (Parham) around 13.30 today, on what should have been an easy, 9 mile drive. But, after passing through the same village twice, I realised I'd missed a small turning somewhere, and had gone around in a wide circle, and was some miles off track to the north of my destination !
I back-tracked a bit, but the lack of road signs, and some signs hidden behind tall foliage, just added to the problem. It was virtually impossible to turn around, as the lanes were very narrow, so, after nearly two hours of pointless driving, I gave up, realising that if I did eventually get to the museum, it would be very near closing time anyway !
Navigating by the sun, I eventually reached a main road, picked up some road signs, and returned to base at Lesiton airfield, having traveled 35 miles !
On checking the route with the help of 'Google Earth' on my return, I soon saw where I had gone wrong - I'd missed a left turn, hidden by trees and hedges, and had ended up heading away from my next landmark, rather than towards it !
Ah, well, at least I saw some very beautiful countryside, and I'll try to visit the airfield at least (the museum is only open on Sundays) on my return journey later in the week. If not, then it'll be an excuse to return to the area probably next summer.
So, I had a wander around the Leiston site instead, and got some photos of the remaining parts, which I'll post on my return. Meanwhile, below are a couple of pics at Leiston, taken late this afternoon and evening.

Pic 1. The site reception building, with one of the memorials, featuring a 1/3rd scale model of Maj. 'Kit' Carson's Mustang.
Pic 2. 'Gus's Hut', the small museum on site, which I hope to gain access to tomorrow.
Pic 3. The sun starting to set, viewed from the 'Tin Tent'.
Pic 4. UFO's ???

Norfolk tour 077.JPG
Norfolk tour 067.JPG
Norfolk tour 084.JPG
Norfolk tour 089.JPG

Undoubtedly FOO FIGHTERS! left over from the war Do you have or does your phone have turn-by-turn GPS? The ubiquitously named "Smart" phones, at least here, have some form of it and even my ancient flip-phone has GPS though I don't use it. I have a separate Garmin GPS unit on the Beast for the very reasons you experienced above

J have a GPS / SatNav for the van, Mike, but I find it difficult, sometimes, to get the best results, as there are absolutely no operating instructions for it !!
It works well on straightforward, point to point routes on main roads and motorways etc, but the area where I am is fairly notorious for GPS systems getting things wrong, and directing people up farm track !
Added to that, there has been a recent change to a road junction layout, not yet shown on maps or Google Earth, so even GPS would have been fooled.
Now that I know where I went wrong, I can amend my 'pace notes' and easily find my way the next time.
I tend to be 'old school', and use , rally-type pace notes, with the 'tulip' system of directional symbols - easy, quick and simple to view, drawn on a sheet of paper, in line of sight when driving.

Yea, they're only as good as their maps. I update the Beast's maps just before we go somewhere and with that battleship it's main and paved. I assume?? that the phone carriers also update their GPS systerms on some type of regular schedule but who knows. Other than that at least a GPS fix would let you know where you are relative to where you want to go, i.e. I'm east of the air field so the first west bound road.... Not that that is always going to work in some of these wandering country tracks but at least you've got a directional fix

I had a reasonable idea of where I was, and also where I went wrong. The problem was, the roads were so narrow, many with tall hedges either side, that there was absolutely nowhere to turn around, until reaching a main road, and then finding a junction or other place to turn !
As an example, just around the corner from the campsite, on the first narrow road I drove on, there were the remains of one of the dispersed sites (Site 9, I think, the former WAAF site when occupied by the RAF). There were still buildings there, although in poor condition and partly overgrown, but I couldn't stop to take photos, even from the cab, as there was nowhere to park, and a car approaching behind me !

I'll try to stop and get a couple of shots of one of the typical narrow lanes, if possible, on my next trip out.
Staying on site at Leiston today, then moving back to Diss tomorrow, and onwards to Lakenheath and MIldenhall on Thursday and Friday.
I need to check the cooling system on the van, as I may have either an air lock, or a small leak from a hose - no overheating showing on the temp and oil gauges, so hopefully nothing serious - and I should get home ok if I ensure the water is kept topped up, and then get it sorted properly once home.
It's an expansion tank system, feeding into the radiator, and this has overflown slightly at one point, dripping a little water onto the hardstand at tte campsite, and 'gurgling' a bit when the engine was switched off.

Thanks David. I'm enjoying the countryside here - it's like travelling back decades, or in some cases, back a couple of hundred years, although the fields are larger these days, and agricultural methods very different.

To explain the 'Tulip System' pace notes I use, below is an example, roughly drawn whilst resting the pad on my knee, hence the poor handwriting.
The "ball" represents the direction of departure, with the arrow showing the required direction of travel, and the notes alongside being abbreviated directions.
For example, at Ubbeston Greeen, travel approximately 600 meters, then turn right onto Heavingham Long Lane.
Continue to next left turn onto Hubbard's Hill.
Straight on to Sibton - White Horse Inn (landmark).
And so on. Simple, uncomplicated by lots of written directions, and quick and easy to read when driving.

I've now re-planned my return route , and all being well , I should be able to get to Framlingham ( Parham) airfield on the way to Diss tomorrow. The museum itself will be closed, but I should be able to get some photos of the control tower and other buildings, and some of the remaining parts of the airfield.

Norfolk tour 091.JPG

A little damp today, with the odd sliver of sunshine, so I had another bimble around the former tech site.
I was very kindly given the keys to the Friends of Leiston Airfield commemorative museum (Gus's Hut) so that I could have a look around, and this, plus a more comprehensive 'tour' of the site, will be covered in more detail in my posts when I return home.
Meanwhile, here's the last up-date from Lesiton, with a couple of photos, again from the little compact camera.
Tomorrow it's (hopefully, this time !) Framlingham, and then on back to the campsite near Diss for a couple of days, before moving on to Mildenhall, with the weather set to improve, with sunshine and temps up to around 24C on Thursday and Friday.

Pic 1. Looking north east, on the remains of the airfield perimeter track, with 'Gus's Hut', and at the right, beyond the 10 mph road sign, the taxi track leading to the tech site, now the main touring park.
Pic 2. Looking south west down the former perimeter track. On the left is the hard-standing where Bud Anderson's Mustang, "Old Crow", used to sit, now part of the park's roadway layout.
Pic 3. A general view of part of the interior of the FOLA museum in "Gus's Hut".
Norfolk tour 100.JPG
Norfolk tour 099.JPG
Norfolk tour 093.JPG

Very very nice Terry. There are a few dirt/gravel one-lane road/bridges and a few creek crossings through the creek (impassable after a rain) around here but they are few. Most roads are two-laneish and have something resembling pavement (macadam often) on them. Turn-arounds using someones driveway if necessary (HEY MA put pants on the kids companays acomming!) (IFF'n you hear a shot you wants to skeedaddle ASAP, It's a Still or a Crop.)
Been in many "You can't get there from here" places

Users who are viewing this thread

Back