The Travels of Tel's Tin Tent.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Geo.
Hoping to get some decent pics at Lakenheath and Mildenhall - setting off in about an hour, Just a 50 minute drive, traffic permitting, stopping at Lakenheath first, for an hour or so, and then to the campsite at the end of Mildenhall's runway, where I'll stay until Saturday morning.

Another very enjoyable day today, with mainly sunny skies, and temperature at 25C.

After saying goodbye to the owners of the campsite at Scole, and hinting at returning yet again next year, I packed up the 'Tin Tent' and set off from Norfolk, re-fueling in Diss, before enjoying a very pleasant drive through Thetford forest, with little traffic, back over the border into Suffolk.
I arrived at the viewing area at the north east corner of RAF Lakenheath (home of the USAF 4th Fighter Wing), close to the runway threshold, at around 13.00 hrs, just as a pair of F-15s were recovering from a sortie.
I wasn't quite quick enough getting the Nikons ready, but managed to snatch a very blurred shot of the second aircraft, coming over the fence for landing.
The viewing area car park and approach road were almost full, with cars, vans and motorbikes, and there was quite a lot of activity, with four pairs of F-15s launching in the short time I was there, and I took a few photos with the 300mm lens, which look reasonable on the camera monitor screen, despite focusing through the chain-link fence - I'll edit and post these when I get home.

After about an hour, I the drove the ten miles to the campsite on the threshold of Mildenhall's runway, and what a place to camp !
It's a small, fairly basic but very tidy site, with only 18 pitches for tents, motorhomes or caravans, and popular with aviation enthusiasts (naturally), and there are about 12 to 14 people here, including some from France and Holland, all for the same reason I'm here.
My pitch is right next to the fence, and the purpose-built viewing platform, which gives a clear view right across the airfield, with it's varied USAF types, including Hercules, KC tankers, AWACS and Ospreys, and there is plenty of activity.
As I parked, an Osprey growled overhead, and shortly afterwards, a Herc did some 'circuits and bumps', with a KC tanker taking off next, and there's been lots happening all afternoon and into the evening.
Again, the main shots from today (and whatever I get tomorrow) will be sorted and posted when I get home, but meanwhile, the pics below should give some idea of what it's like here, all of these being from the little Fuji compact camera.

All being well, I should get some more decent pics tomorrow, and it's possible that the wind direction will have changed, meaning that aircraft will be on finals right over the edge of the campsite, instead of climbing out after take off and it's forecast for clear skies and sun all day !
It's a wonderfully warm, still night, and I'm now going to settle down with a book, and wait for the next roar of engines, as something big and noisy climbs out overhead the 'Tin Tent'.

Pic 1. The Osprey climbing out as I arrived.
Pic 2. My pitch on the site, with the viewing platform in the background.
Pic 3. Priorities - table, cameras and a bottle of Vino Roughino !
Pic 4. My pitch, looking down from the viewing platform.
Pic 5. General view of the airfield, looking ENE, from the viewing platform.
Pic 6. Hercules taking off.
Pic 7. Another Herc overhead.
Pic 8. Ospreys outbound to the west.
Pic 9. Dusk departure for another Herc.
Pic 10. Sun staring to set.

Norfolk tour 161.JPG
Norfolk tour 198.JPG
Norfolk tour 185.JPG
Norfolk tour 170.JPG
Norfolk tour 163.JPG
Norfolk tour 167.JPG
Norfolk tour 172.JPG
Norfolk tour 202.JPG
Norfolk tour 210.JPG
Norfolk tour 209.JPG

I'll try to get a video of one tomorrow, although I don't know what the sound quality will be like on the little Fuji camera.
Saving the Nikon cameras for a complete file of hopefully decent shots, so don't want to use the video on those.

Very cool Terry. Plenty of activity there so I suspect you'll be waking to the sound of birds......jet powered ones that is.

Yep, plenty of Parafin Pigeons here (or Kerosene Kites, for our American cousins) !
Alarm clock was a KC-135 launching, and the F-15s from Lakenheath, which can be clearly seen as they turn after take off, as the airfield is only about 4 miles away, as the crow (or F-15) flies.
Beautiful, clear sunny day here, although not much activity at the moment, but of course it's POETS day, so probably not surprising.
Going to sit in the sun and see what happens.

2nd pic of #283 what I first saw it I was thinking you had added a deck to the front of the Tin Tent!

Great pics!

I've only seen an Osprey once in real life. I was flying through a small airport in Connecticut that President Obama just happened to be going through at the same time (which created a nightmare for the rest of is). There were a number of them used for moving some of his staff and equipment.

1296469068219513264.jpg

Pic from https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/30-fascinating-photos-of-hmx-1s-ospreys-working-for-the-1711110955

Had three, yup, three of those monsters flew almost directly over the house about 2 years ago. They might have been at 500 - 600ft or so and the sound shook the entire house. Most likely a National Guard flight on an exercise. Whiteman AFB is in Missouri not too far away so possibly from there
ospreys.jpg

Got a few more shots with the 'proper' cameras today, but only one Osprey took off - so far.
I'm afraid I didn't have time to video it on the little Fuji, as the batteries died as I switched it to video mode !
Beautiful, clear sunny day today, just a shame I have to be home by Monday.
Pics when I get home.

That is a very nice elevated look-out stand and how very nice of them?? to provide one. Do I see the Stars-and-Stripes flying above the Union Jack?
Fantastic trip Terry you be a luckey Bloke gallivanting o'er the countryside fancy free

Yes Mike, Stars and Stripes and Union Jack at alternate corners of the viewing platform.
I heard today that there's a B-52 on the airfield, which was bound for the Jersey airshow (that's Jersey, Channel Islands, not USA), but lost an engine and landed at Mildenhall. Rumour control had it that it was due to leave today, but nothing has moved.
It's been a great tour, if a little tiring at times, and I've been really lucky with the weather too. Just hope I get home tomorrow without any major hold-ups, as a four hour drive is long enough !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back