The Travels of Tel's Tin Tent.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

With adventures like that, I think this thread should be renamed "Travails of Tels Tin Tent"

What's the campervan? I've just bought a 1980 CF Bedford Ambulance for conversion.

It's a 1989.Talbot Express, Autosleeper 'Rambler', 2L petrol engine.
It's two berth, with either two single or one large double bed, made from the bench seats, plus an overhead pull out bed, mainly intended for children ( I use it for storage). The seats can be arranged as bench seats either side, or as forward-facing seats with seat belts, and the front passenger seat swivels.
Kitchen sink, 15 gal water tank, 3-way fridge, hob, grill and full oven, shower / toilet cubicle, wardrobe and storage cupboards, and blown air heating. Electric hook up, and also internal lights running off the leisure battery, two tables, small and large, - oh, and a pull-out bar !!
It was top of the range when new, apparently costing around £38,000 - 30 years ago !!!
I personally feel that the interior layout for this type of van is actually better, and more 'usable', than some of the modern equivalents, although it may be a little more crowded with more than just me in it !
I'll try to remember to take and post some pics of the inside when I get to my next destination.

Sounds like a great thing! We're struggling to work out a layout that will work for us. We've got a 3.3L Holden (GM) engine, but it all needs a bit of work (body and engine) before we can really get away in it.

I've seen some really good Ambulance conversions - just missed buying one when I was looking for a van four and a half years ago, and I still have some pics of it on my home PC. It had been sold the day I 'phoned the seller.
I'm just packing up to move to the next location, but I'll take some pics of the interior layout of my 'Tin Tent' when I get settled at Diss, and post them here.

A good day today, with fine, warm weather - a little cloud at times, but this cleared, with warm sun making for a very pleasant wander through the country lanes and some wide-open spaces of Suffolk, with wheat and barley fields stretching forever.
First stop was at Parham airfield, just outside Framlingham, where I failed to get to on Sunday.
This time, I checked and used my 'pace notes', which is just as well, as "Bitchin' Betty' tried to send me the wrong way, twice !
The GPS signal also 'dropped out' a few times, so I decided that the Satnav was as much use as a chocolate teapot, and binned it !
The control tower museum at Parham was, of course closed, as it's only open on Sundays during the summer months, but I got a few shots, the bulk of which, from the Nikon DSLRs, will be posted on my return, with details of each location visited during this tour.
I also drove past the former 8th USAAF airfield at Eye, but as there were some road works, I didn't venture onto the back roads to get any shots of the airfield, which in any case is mainly hidden by a large industrial estate and wind farm, although from the air, the runways and taxi tracks are still clearly visible. I did grab a quick, rather poor shot from the cab, when in standing traffic, showing the site as it looks from the main road heading north.

I've posted some shots from the little Fuji compact below, along with some general shots of the areas traveled through, on my way back to Scole, in Norfolk, where I'm now set-up on the campsite I used last week.
I'll be heading off to Lakenheath and Mildenhall on Thursday, where I hope to get some shots of the modern-day USAF in action.

Next post will show some of the interior details of the 'Tin Tent', as promised.

Pics 1 & 2. Suffolk sunrise, 06.00 hrs this morning, taken through the van window.
Pic 3. An hour or two later.
Pic 4. A typical, hedge-lined country lane, this one much wider than some I drove along !
Pics 5 - 7. The control tower, and other museum buildings at Parham airfield, near Framlingham, with the original T2 hangar behind, now industrial warehouse units.
Pic 8. Where B-17s once rolled - the 'Tin Tent' on the runway at Parham.
Pic 9. Windmill at Saxted.
Pic 10. What can be seen of Eye airfield, from the main road to Norwich.

Thanks my friend.

This and the next post, as mentioned earlier, will show some shots of the inside lay-out of the 'Tin Tent', mainly for the benefit of our Kiwi friend.
It's amazing what caravan / motorhome designers can do to utilise every inch of space.
The pics should be self explanatory, but just to clarify a couple of areas - the shower cabinet at the rear of the van, has a shower tray and curtain, and a Thetford 'Porta Potti' cassette toilet (for emergency use only - site facilities are more than adequate), and the door is bi-fold, opening out to form a partition between front and rear of the van, giving more room, and privacy.
The rear seats can be arranged as shown, or both can be either forward facing, or a sofa on each side. The front seat back rests are dropped down to create two single beds (or just one in my case), or by using the tables as a base, in between the seats, a large double bed can be arranged, for use either along the length of the 'lounge' area, or transverse.
The 'boxes' beneath the rear seats have hinged lids, forming large storage areas.
The overhead, pull out double bed, which will support adults, is really intended for children, and is shown in the stowed position, and used for extra storage.
Not shown are the shelves and storage racks above the rear bench seats, and the kitchen area also has an extra, fold down work surface, hidden behind the front facing seat back rest.
Next to the sink unit, forward, is a wardrobe with hanging rail and small shelf, and above that there is a small, shelved cupboard, and the hot water boiler. On the wall of this, facing forward, are the blown air heating controls and the CO detector, along with one of the stereo speakers, the other being on the opposite side.
Above the cooker is the 'Zig' unit, controlling the habitation electrics, water pump, extractor fan etc, and above that there is another kitchen storage cabinet, complimenting the draws and cupboards alongside the cooker.
Storage and fridge are below the kitchen sink unit, the lid of this can be dropped to form an additional work surface, and above the sink is a glass-fronted cabinet for storing crockery etc.
The 'fridge is 'three way', meaning it can be running from the vehicle electrics when driving, hooked up to mains electric on site, or used with gas when no mains electric is available.
The pull - out bar has clips for bottles, and a shelf below for more bottles and / or glasses.
Above the rear doors is another small storage rack, and there are four strip lights (one in the shower cabinet) and two small spotlights for interior lighting, run off the leisure battery, although I normally use lamps and 'clip on' lights, from the mains electric, when on a proper campsite.
The 15 Imp. Gal water tank is filled from the outside, but I normally just use a 10L water jerry can.

Any questions, just ask, and I hope this helps to plan your van's interior layout.

Yes, it's quite roomy. Great for me, comfortable for two people, maybe a tad crowded if kids are on board. Most families with these use a 'drive away' awning, basically a large tent which attaches to the side, over the sliding door.
Mine has a wind-out awning, about ten feet in depth, attached above the sliding door, running most of the length of the van - it can be seen on the side shot on the airfield, Quite useful as a sun shade, or porch if raining, and detachable wall panels are available if desired, although I don't have any.
It may be old, but it all works, and is possibly the best thing I've bought in recent years, allowing trips and tours, with the advantage of not having to tow a caravan, and being able to pull over, get in the back and have a brew and meal, and a rest, on long trips - a real, compact, home from home !
I'm starting to think though, that maybe I should stock up with lucky heather and clothes pegs, and maybe get a violin ................. !!!

EDIT :- Forgot to mention, overall external dimensions are, Length 15 feet 7 inches ( 4.75 m), Width 6 feet 5 inches, excluding mirrors (1.95m), and Height, with TV aerial, approx 8 feet 6 inches ( 2.55m) - I have yet to accurately measure the height !
Internal headroom in the rear is in excess of 6 feet 6 inches ( 1.955m).
All up weight, fully fueled, with water tank full, but without passengers, luggage etc, is a touch over 2.6 tons.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike.

It was first registered in August 1989, and as of today, it's total, genuine mileage is 88,314.
Obviously well cared for by the original owner during its first 24 years, and I try to keep it that way. There are a few blemishes, and signs of light wear here and there, to be expected after 30 years, but overall it's in very good condition.
Someone who was probably named Richard Head (Dick, for short) apparently bumped into the front during the winter, when the van was parked outside my house (neighbour saw the light bump, but didn't get the reg number of the offender), and cracked the front spoiler and bumper, but it doesn't look too bad, and is safe and accepted in the annual safety/roadworthy test (what we call the MoT).

When I get home, there should be a new radiator top hose waiting for me, which I'll have fitted asap, and have an oil change done. I identified that cooling problem, it looks to be either a'soft joint', or more likely some perishing or a small split in the existing hose, where it joins the engine block.
I topped up with water, and ran the engine to circulate it, and then topped up again, and it's been running fine so far, although the oil is a touch low, and showing signs of excess use - that is, dark and burned looking, due to coping with extra cooling, due to low water level.

As long as it gets me home, that'll be fine, as my mechanic friends can sort it, and I hope have it ready in time for the following weekend, when Karl and I will be going to the Duxford airshow.

Terry, it still boggles my mind that your "Tent" is 30 years old. The "Beast" is a 2002 with around 50,000 miles and is well-used. It's not even half as nice as your "Tent". With all the pollen and leaves it's tough on the outside and the DRAM Wasps (Paper and Mud-Daubers) get into every crack and crevasse.
Then being here on the lake, boats, beaches, etc. its tough to find time to travel anywhere with it. To Chicago once a year for two weeks and another two weeks in June to the Crater of Diamonds (nothing big, YET!) is about it

Yep, it is quite surprising how good it is for its age, and there's been around ten people who have asked me if I want to sell it !
Being parked under a tree at the moment, the darned wood pigeons have been 'bombing' the van - need to get a bucket and mop to it when I get home - and also brush-out the interior, to get rid of the pine needles etc.

Had a lazy-ish day today, just sorting routes, booking the next campsite (right at the end of Mildenhall's runway ! ), and doing admin on the van - topping up water, checking oil etc, and a bit of cleaning.
Went to the village stores in Scole, and got the usual, old-fashioned service again, with the purchases carried outside for me, to my scooter - beats the hell out of the average supermarket !
Now going to sit out in the last of the sun, with a bottle of wine and a book, and think of all those people who have to work everyday - but only for a second or two !!!

Users who are viewing this thread