The Travels of Tel's Tin Tent.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It sounds like a heat sensitive component some where. Mine had a habit of not coming up from idle, i.e. no monitor power up. I had to shut down with power button, unplug powercord, then plug in and start. I determined something was heat sensitive in the power supply so I took off the side panel and sat a small fan blowing into the open computer. Since it began in the middle of lockdown and it worked, I am still using it this way because I am lazy.

Max's "Buchon" flight.

Last Tuesday afternoon, I drove down to Sywell aerodrome, near Northampton, UK, to meet up with my friend Max and his family and friends, when we stayed in the art-deco "Aviator" hotel, actually on the airfield.
Max was due to fly in, and actually fly, the two-seat Hispano "Buchon" the next day, which is operated by Ultimate Warbirds, an event that had been postponed from last year, due to the Covid pandemic, and then postponed twice more, due to engine problems early this year, and then very bad weather back in late May.
We were also planning to present one of Max's friends, John Fennings, with the model of the Mosquito B.XVI that his father flew in April 1945, which Max had commissioned me to build. John did not know about this, and it was a total surprise to him when Max unboxed the model on its display base, after the Buchon flight, on Wednesday afternoon.
Foe once, the weather was superb, and I managed to get some reasonable photos of Max and the Buchon, including a number of detail shots, although the ground to air shots are not up to my standards, due to the distance from the flight axis ( average 1,500 meters ) and some heat haze.
I had decided against taking my mobility scooter, which proved to be a huge mistake on my part, as I ended up being extremely stiff and sore, after lots of standing, and walking to and fro on the airfield. Consequently, I stayed another night at the hotel, and spent a very pleasant couple of hours chatting to the pilots and other crew from Ultimate Warbirds, and Steve, the Buchon pilot, arranged for me to have a look around the Buchon and Spitfire Mk.IX the following day, to see if I could physically get in to the cockpit, especially that of the Buchon.
Regrettably, the next morning, I was in too much pain, and very stiff, and wouldn't even have been able to walk out to the aircraft, so I had to tender my apologies - but I'll ensure I'm fit enough the next time I visit Sywell !!!
The pics below show some of the "action", and the presentation of the Mosquito model can be found in the build thread in the Group Builds, Modelling threads.

The next outing will be on 12th July, when I'm due to meet up with Karl, at my caravan in Norfolk, when we'll be sorting out after the flood damage in December. All being well, we may be able t get to a couple of local air museums, and I'll post pics then.
What a brilliant day it was Terry! Thanks for your company & especially John's model. He knew nothing about it and was really blown away! Its a long time since I have seen him get emotional & the model really means a lot to him- thanks again. We will fix another visit to Sywell this time with your chariot & then we can get you in that Bouchon & the Spit!
We will have to start thinking about the Hurricane at Biggin as the next adventure but more of that later!
A super blog Terry which I have really enjoyed reading!

I spent last week at the caravan site in Norfolk, with Karl joining me from Monday until Wednesday, in order to get the 'van sorted, cleaned and "up and running" after the winter flood damage.
It only took around four hours to get everything done, with the 'van cleaned out, the electrics checked and working, and the outside jet-washed, but I have to admit, it was very tiring, sitting in the sun, watching Karl do all the work !!!
All that's needed now is to have the new power unit fitted, in order to run the water pump and auxiliary lighting, and hang the new curtains for the main front window, which I'm having made by a friend' s missus.

The weather forecast for Monday and Tuesday showed light rain all day, but it stayed dry, with the odd light cloud, and very warm and sunny, so a bonus when doing the outside work.
We managed to get to the Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum, at Bungay, on Wednesday, the only day when it was cloudy and a bit cooler, with the rest of the time there being totally blue skies, and very hot - dare I say, too hot ?
The pics below, and in the following post, show the 'van set up on the same pitch as last year, but now facing outwards, and some pics from the Museum.

Pics 1 and 2. The 'van all set up, with BBQ, table and chairs, and the porch awning,
Pic 3. The view in the evening, sitting outside the 'van.
Pic 4. A relatively new addition to the Museum, since my last visit in 2016. This 23 Sqn Phantom was one of the reserve aircraft slated to go to the Falklands in July 1982, as local defence following the end of the Falklands conflict. Four aircraft departed from Coningsby, and served there for a number of years, before being replaced by Tornado F3's. The nose carries the 23 Squadron "bars", flanking the Falkland Islands crest, with the Squadron eagle badge on the fin, normally presneted in red with a yellow outline.
I'm fairly sure that this is the aircraft I was shown around at Coningsby, a couple of days before the other four departed on their long journey.
Pic 5. Bloodhound surface to air missile.
Pic 6. Javelin, again bearing the 23 Sqn colours.
Pic 7. Whirlwind, Sea Vixen, and just visible, a T-33.

Scole 2021 080.JPG
Scole 2021 081.JPG
Scole 2021 086.JPG
Scole 2021 009.JPG
Scole 2021 018.JPG
Scole 2021 019.JPG
Scole 2021 024.JPG

Some more pics from the Museum. The main hangar is very crowded, and it's difficult to get good angles for photos, and, having covered most of the exhibits in a previous thread back in 2016, I only took a few photos this time. There are some very interesting collections and aircraft here, and it's well worth a visit, if in the area - and entry is free ( although donations are welcome ) and the cafe ( the NAAFI ) and shop prices are very reasonable indeed.
A lot of work has been done on restoration and re-paining of the aircraft on show, since my last visit, and all credit is due to the volunteer staff for all their hard work

Pic 1. Mystere, in Suez crisis markings.
Pic 2. Karl viewing what looks like a scrap yard, but all of these artefacts have been recovered from crashes at sea, and on land, in the Suffolk area, most being WW2 vintage. Doubtless, many of us here would be happy to own one of the pieces !
Pic 3. The beautiful Hunter outside the main hangar.
Pic 4. A nicely done Mosquito night fighter cockpit replica, using genuine parts.
Pic 5. The Boulton Paul Overstrand nose section replica, again using many original parts, with Karl providing scale for that huge nose turret, the world's first power-operated aircraft gun turret.
Pic 6. Bristol Sycamore rescue helicopter, with a former Royal Marines Whirlwind behind it.
Pic 7. A pair of recently restored Canberra nose sections, There is also a complete Canberra airframe on the opposite side of the access road.

I'll be going back to the "Tin Tent" in about two week's time, when I hope to get "out and about", visiting more airfield museums and sites of interest, and hopefully get some decent pics to share here.
My sincere thanks again to Karl, for all his hard work - there's no way the 'van would have been sorted without his help.

Scole 2021 025.JPG
Scole 2021 028.JPG
Scole 2021 033.JPG
Scole 2021 036.JPG
Scole 2021 064.JPG
Scole 2021 065.JPG
Scole 2021 032.JPG

Some more pics from the Museum. The main hangar is very crowded, and it's difficult to get good angles for photos, and, having covered most of the exhibits in a previous thread back in 2016, I only took a few photos this time. There are some very interesting collections and aircraft here, and it's well worth a visit, if in the area - and entry is free ( although donations are welcome ) and the cafe ( the NAAFI ) and shop prices are very reasonable indeed.
A lot of work has been done on restoration and re-paining of the aircraft on show, since my last visit, and all credit is due to the volunteer staff for all their hard work

Pic 1. Mystere, in Suez crisis markings.
Pic 2. Karl viewing what looks like a scrap yard, but all of these artefacts have been recovered from crashes at sea, and on land, in the Suffolk area, most being WW2 vintage. Doubtless, many of us here would be happy to own one of the pieces !
Pic 3. The beautiful Hunter outside the main hangar.
Pic 4. A nicely done Mosquito night fighter cockpit replica, using genuine parts.
Pic 5. The Boulton Paul Overstrand nose section replica, again using many original parts, with Karl providing scale for that huge nose turret, the world's first power-operated aircraft gun turret.
Pic 6. Bristol Sycamore rescue helicopter, with a former Royal Marines Whirlwind behind it.
Pic 7. A pair of recently restored Canberra nose sections, There is also a complete Canberra airframe on the opposite side of the access road.

I'll be going back to the "Tin Tent" in about two week's time, when I hope to get "out and about", visiting more airfield museums and sites of interest, and hopefully get some decent pics to share here.
My sincere thanks again to Karl, for all his hard work - there's no way the 'van would have been sorted without his help.

View attachment 632910View attachment 632911View attachment 632912View attachment 632913View attachment 632914View attachment 632915View attachment 632916
Anytime my friend, glad i was able to get it sorted for you.
It was a great couple of days, enjoyed the museum and the beers and bbq

Thanks chaps.
Heading back down to Norfolk around 3rd or 4th August, and hope to get to the museum at Framlingham ( Parham ) airfield, and a couple of others too.
Pics will be posted eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back