The Travels of Tel's Tin Tent.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bit of an up-date.
Departure to the 'van has been slightly delayed, due to various reasons, and weather - heavy rain and poor conditions en-route mainly.
I'm now planning to travel on Monday, but more likely Tuesday, when the weather en-route, and particularly on site, is forecast to be fine, with sun and temperatures between 21C to 24C for at least two weeks, which will be warm but comfortable.
All being well, I hope to visit a couple more 8th USAAF WW2 airfield sites / museums, and probably Lakenheath again. and, if possible, get up to north Norfolk to get some shots of the area where Heinz Schnabel and Harry Wappler landed their stolen Magister, during their escape bid from Shap Wells hotel PoW camp in 1941, which will be included in my on-going article about "The one who (almost) got away", which I'll eventually post on the forum, when I've completed my photo-travels, in the Lake District, later this year.
Internet connection on site is far from brilliant, but I'll try to stay in touch during this latest underwhelming adventures of "The Travels from Tel's Tin Tent".
Meanwhile, stay safe, keep Jan out of the wine and bacon cellars, and, if you're going to drink and drive - make sure you have a car .......................

Great thread. I was wondering about camping over there. When I was tracking a WWI New Jersey pilot , Lt Shoemakers trail though England and into France I looked at renting a small RV/Tin tent. It seems however in the UK a lot of these types of agencies shut down at the end of september and certainly october. People told me do not even think of taking a UK RV rental over to France. I just felt it would give me so much flexibility though some of the roads might have been a challenge. I found a few pubs from his 1917/18 letters and squadron mates correspondance still exist . I hope they survived covid.

Been established on site since Thursday evening, although not done much yet, apart from some tidying up, fitting new curtains to the 'van, and, this morning,having the power unit repaired. Now up and running, with all the 12 volt systems working as they should, so now fully "in business",
The weather has been mixed - mainly warm and sunny, with temps between 21 and 25C - although there's been a couple of light rain showers too.
Planning on visits to RAF Lakenheath, to hopefully get more pics of the F-15s, and also to Parham (Framlingham) airfield museum and to Scratby, where two escaped Luftwaffe pilots landed their stolen RAF Magister in 1941. Also hoping to get to the motor car collection at Caister castle, near Scratby, all of these visits depending on weather and opening times.
I'll try to post some pics, but 'net connection here is intermittent, and very slow, so it may have to wait until i get home, at the end of next week.
More up-dates when there's something to report, meanwhile, I'm sitting watching the military aerial activity in the area, mainly Hercs and Ospreys .........................

Well. I'm back home, but I regret there's nothing to report, and no pics either - sorry.
I ended up being rather lethargic, and also had a few "flare ups" of the RA, causing muscle pain and extreme stiffness. Sod's law, this happened on the days I'd planned to get "out and about" . Also, there are some places I intended to visit which are still restricting opening times, and these were mainly open when the weather was not the best, although it remained warm, and mainly dry, with sunshine, but with some cloud cover until early evenings.
Instead of taking a little under four hours to drive home, it took five hours, mainly due to heavy holiday-weekend traffic, and some congestion on the main part of the route, and it's fair to say I was stiff, tired and knackered by the time I got back !!
However, I will be returning to Norfolk around the 12th September, staying until the end of the month, when I intend to get out and visit those places I've missed so far, and probably also get over to Sywell again, staying over for one night at The Aviator Hotel on the airfield, and I hope to be able to provide more underwhelming tales of my travels, and some photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back