The Travels of Tel's Tin Tent.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks chaps.
It's good to get back on the forum, without having to wait minutes to connect to a page, and then loose it, due to the poor 'net reception on the site in Norfolk.

Well, things have gone to rat sh*t !

I'd planned to get back to the caravan a week ago, but I strained a muscle in my shoulder / neck, making it difficult, and painful, to drive. So I postponed the trip, eventually setting off at mid-day yesterday on the four hour drive down to Norfolk.
Got half way there, and broke down on the M1 motorway. The belt from the power steering and water pumps had snapped, but I managed to pull over and shut down before the engine could seize.
Myself and the vehicle were recovered safely, and returned back home, arriving back seven hours after leaving.
My mechanics have checked the car this morning, and will get it in to their garage later this week, strip it down to investigate and fix as needed, and it looks like the snapped belt may have damaged the oil filter, or maybe one of the pumps, seized, causing the belt to overheat and fail, then it damaged the filter, but at least the engine didn't seize, and still starts and runs.

I'll now be travelling down on Thursday, with a friend, in his car, staying until Sunday, when I'll close-up the 'van for the winter.
So, all the plans for various visits to museums and airfields have been almost scuppered for this year, although I still hope to get to at least two of the intended locations, so I hope to post some pics and info on my return.

Sorry to hear Terry. Maybe Clarkson has a P45 for sale?

01_03_38mb.jpg

Well could be worse. Tin tent could have been at the claws of raging water, swept by tidal waves but hè it is still standing its ground. Same with the car. As a van guy i do know many horror stories of engines blowing up. Permanently.
You, seem to have befriended the woman of motering. It is a drag but the thing still wants you to take it further. So yes, it seems bad luck, i know, but the car, if it can will take care of you. As the tent did. I do hope costs are bareable and this is nothing more then a minor chapter of your journey, writing and letting us enjoy the travel.
Good luck.

Thanks my friend.
As you say, a relatively minor set-back, and all being well, I'll be back on the road again, with more underwhelming tales of the Travels of Tel's Tin Tent in the not too distant future.
Watch this space ..................................

Well, the 'van has been closed up for the coming winter, and I still haven't got to my intended destinations !!
I travelled down to Norfolk, in a friend's car, on Thursday morning, but I couldn't get to sleep on Wednesday night. This lead to me getting stiffer and sore as the day wore on and, by the time I got to bed that night, I'd been awake 38 hours !!
Consequently, I was too stiff and sore to go anywhere on Friday, so we re-planned to get to a couple of places over the weekend - then we heard about the fuel shortage, due to a lack of tanker drivers, and the panic-buying by the usual selfish idiots, so decided against risking running out of fuel, stayed on site, and enjoyed the peace in beautiful sunny weather, getting back home last night.
The good news though, is that I now have my X-Trail back, with all the work done after the breakdown and running perfectly - and it only cost a paltry £170 in total, instead of the possibly anticipated £300 to £500 I'd budgeted for !!
With luck, fuel and weather permitting, I may get "out and about" now and then over the next few months, and look forward to getting back down to Norfolk next April ...................... more up-dates when there's something to share .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back