The Travels of Tel's Tin Tent.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, I got back from Norfolk on Sunday evening, totally exhausted after loading the car in extreme temperatures, a four and a half hour very hot drive, and then unloading again !
It's taken me two days to recover, and I'm still a bit stiff !!!
As mentioned earlier, the extremely high temperatures ( for the UK ) made it very uncomfortable to travel, so all my plans for visits to various locations have been postponed until my return in early September. However, Karl and I did manage to get to the Thorpe Abbots airfield museum. former base of the 100th Bomb Group's B-17's ( The Bloody One Hundreth) which is only a ten minute drive from the camp site, and we also managed our first air show since "Legends" in 2019,due to the Covid pandemic causing cancellations for two years, and this was again a local venue, at the former B-24 airfield at Old Buckenham.
I didn't take my cameras to Thorpe Abbotts, as I covered the museum displays in this thread previously, but I've included a couple of pics of the main buildings, taken in 2019, as a reminder.
Also shown are a few "tasters" from the Old Buckenham air show, when the weather, though very warm, turned damp and changeable in the morning, with variable conditions for the rest of the show. These certainly aren't by best work, as I was having focusing and shutter problems, which were eventually identified as the pistol grip remote trigger playing up, the cause not discovered until half way through the show !
I'll eventually post more pics of the show in the Old Buckenham thread in the "Warbirds Displays" section, once I've sorted them - they've downloaded in a very odd manner, all out of sequence, which is bl**dy annoying !
My thanks again to Karl for all his help preparing the caravan, and the BBQ cooking etc , and I'll be back, hopefully with more pics of my travels, in September.

Trav 1.jpg
Trav 2.jpg
Trav 3.jpg
Trav 4.jpg
Trav 16.jpg
Trav 17.jpg
Trav 18.jpg
Trav 19.jpg
Trav 20.jpg

Thanks very much.
I've started posting ( out of sequence ) in the Old Buckenham thread, and there'll be may more to follow there in the coming days.
I'm planning on returning to Norfolk either at the end of this month, or early September ( depending on possible routine hospital appointments ), when I intend to visit a couple more airfield museums, probably one or maybe two tank collections, and also the car museum at Caister castle, among other locations. I might be able to post some pics whilst I'm there, depending on Internet connection ( quite poor on site ), otherwise they'll be posted when I get back home after closing up the 'van, at the end of September.

I'm back at the 'van in Norfolk, having arrived on Monday evening, a day later than intended due to unforeseen delays - my washing machine at home packed up half way through the wash cycle, meaning I then had to hand rinse everything, and do three loads in the tumble drier !!!
Damned electric appliances just don't last these days - it was only 17 years old !!!

Anyway, I've now recovered from the driving and unloading etc, and enjoying a relaxing day in warm, sunny weather, at 25C / 77F, which is great for this time of year in the UK, although there's been a couple of short, light rain showers, giving some much needed moisture to the parched grass, trees and other greenery.
I've even managed some "home improvements", laying a flexible, textured rubber path over the pebbled hard-standing, to allow easier access both on foot and, more importantly, for my mobility scooter, which just grounds out on pebbles, digging in the driven wheels.
I'll post some pics when I have a better Internet connection, as it's very slow and erratic at the moment, usual for this particular site, being screened by tall trees.
I'm intending to stay here until the weekend of 1st / 2nd October, and hope to get "out and about" to various former WW2 airfields, aviation and military museums, and other places of interest, and I'll try to post a few pics during my time here, although most will be posted on my return home, as my lap top has limited capacity.
All being well, Karl will be joining me for a couple of days on 25th September and, with luck, my friend Mick might be able to get here too, when we'll visit Framlingham airfield museum, probably a couple of other local attractions, and no doubt have a "barbie" and stop a few beers from going bad.
Meanwhile, I'm about to drive into Diss to stock-up on essential supplies, such as beer, beer, maybe some wine and oh, some food !!!

Back soon with another riveting, underwhelming up-date ..............................

Thanks Andy, and the weather is looking reasonable, with mainly sunny and warm days, with the odd light rain shower, mainly overnight.
You're welcome to have some beers anytime and, if you can get over here again, there's now a "mobile home" type building, fully self-contained, very near my van, which can be rented, and I'm sure that Wendy, the site owner, would give a preferential rate, much cheaper than a hotel !

Enjoy that weekend together you guys, I'll sup a couple in you honour over that weekend as I'll be up country in Leeds for a couple of days visiting some of my family. Hope the weather stays good for us all. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back