The Travels of Tel's Tin Tent.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'll let you off this time - but only this time !!!

Found out the meds won't be delivered until Saturday !
Better late than never, I suppose, but starting to feel a bit stiff and aching, so I hope they do turn up !
Meanwhile, the weather is good again, sunny, bit of light cloud, and a pleasant 23.4C / 74.1F.
Been quite a bit of aerial activity, with C130s and Ospreys passing by overnight and this morning, and a Rescue helicopter outbound towards the North Sea coast - hope that's nothing serious.
Just about to lay the extra mats for the "patio", which arrived yesterday evening, then off into Diss for more essential supplies ........ and yes, the brewery profits must be up this week !!!

You must me near where my father was based when he was with the 490th BG. I remember him saying that it was halfway between Diss and Eye. Looked for it on Google earth a while back and it looks like it was turned into an industrial park but you can still make out the shape of the runways

Glenn, the old airfield is only a 5 minute drive from where my 'van is sited ( I'm 2 miles east of Diss ), and is indeed now mainly an industrial and warehousing complex, although much of the taxi tracks, perimeter tracks and runways are still visible from the air, and on Google of course.
Back in 2019, I tried to get some pics at the southern end of one of the runways, with you in mind, but the once emergency access road, now leads into part of the industrial area, and I couldn't get a clear view for a shot. The best I could do was snatch a shot from the cab of my camper van, on the main road on the west side of the airfield, looking east, which is shown below - warehousing and a wind farm on the former western dispersal and tech sites.
There are literally hundreds of former airfields in the region, some still in use, or used as private strips, and at least 10 of them have a small museum, or preserved control tower museums and huts, and I'm hoping to get to see some more during this trip and future visits. With luck, Karl and I hope to visit the control tower museum at Framlingham on the 25th of this month, so I'll be posting pics of that at some point.

Norfolk tour 124.JPG

In the early 1980's, my office was above the Australian Consulate, in Manchester, UK. Every Friday after 16.30 hrs, they'd call our switchboard and announce "Beer call !", and we'd troop down for free beers, and chat to the lovely female consular staff.
One of our new guys, when asked what he'd like to drink, said "Fosters please". This was followed by sudden silence from the room, until one of the girls pointed to the door and just said "Out !"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back