The Travels of Tel's Tin Tent.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, the X-Trail has died. The repair costs were not economically viable, so I've been offered a little over scrap value from the recovery garage, and they aren't going to charge me for any of the investigative work they've done to date.
Shame, as if the work was done, it would be a great car still, as overall, it's in excellent condition.
I've now arranged a rental car to get me home on the weekend, the cost of which will be covered by my breakdown insurance, and I'll then look around for a suitable replacement vehicle, younger than the X Trail, although there's no immediate rush.
So, once home and sorted, I hope to be able to post some pics from this rather trying five week visit to the Tin Tent.

Thanks chaps.
The actual problem is quite simple, being a cam shaft sensor, and possibly the drive belt/chain, but the cost of doing the work, and ensuring that there are no more hidden issues, equates to the value of the car, so not worth the risk or investment.

Thanks again chaps.
Been looking at a few possible candidates, including a Discovery 3, the V6 diesel. Whilst these are superb, and overall very reliable, when things do go wrong, it can be very expensive to fix. For example, major engine work entails removing the entire body !!
Also been looking at the later version of my X-Trail, this time in diesel automatic,mine being petrol auto, which have a great spec, and proven reliability,as well as better fuel economy, and I think that's the way I'll probably go when I get sorted.

Vw T4 syncro. More reliable aint possible. Off road heating ( dont know the English term but you can heat your van when standing still, from the diesel tank) Airco cruise control. Got one. It is really good. And you can tow a medium tank away. Dog not included. Thats Carlos btw Hope that your next one is as bullit proof as this is. 360 K km still feel quite new.

Nice Tin Tent !
Carlos is a beaut too.
One of my other options is another, perhaps more compact camper van, preferably automatic. Unfortunately, most of those I've seen that I like have "rock and roll" beds, which is not good for me, and the few with the desired internal layout are far more expensive, twice the cost of a decent car, and I can't really justify the cost for something that will be used for what it's designed for only a few times per year, when a decent car will suffice, and use my caravan as an operating base.
Let's face it, if I was, for example, just going away and need a couple of nights accommodation, a couple of times a year then a hotel or pub B&B would be adequate., so a fairly costly campervan would be a waste.
That said, if I see one suitable, at the right price, then it could be another option.

Sad to loose an old four wheeled friend thats given you good service, good that you're will covered withinsurance. Good luck in the hunting, good quality second hand vehicles were a premium over here a few month back and attracting big money.

Well, I've found a really good replacement for the X-Trail, and paid a deposit to hold it for me until I get home and can sort a delivery date.
It's another Nissan X-Trail, but this time the newer, "Mk2" version, updated and slightly larger, and relatively low mileage. It's the 2.0L Diesel engine, automatic box, with full service history, mainly from Nissan main dealer, and has all the keys and manuals etc and just one previous owner.
I've checked the test history at the Government on-line service, and it passed every annual test without problems, just a couple of very minor "advisories" some time ago ( these being areas advised to have investigated / repaired as required during the UK annual test process, known here as the MoT). One of the advisories, for example, was a worn windscreen wiper blade !
This version is very highly regarded for it's "bullet proof" engine reliability, and level of comfort and equipment, and the fuel economy is, of course, superior to my previous X-Trail, being Diesel.
The mechanics and the boss of the company who recovered my current X-Trail had already advised me that this model is the one to go for, and an excellent car, with one of the guys having owned one for a number of years, and now looking for another decent one himself
I should have it delivered some time next week, after I confirm things with the dealer on Monday, and I'll try to post some pics here, given the weather at home isn't the usual cr@p at this time of year !

Meanwhile, I'll be packing here and getting ready to close-up for the winter tomorrow, and heading home on Saturday, in a rental car, and hope there aren't any further problems to face !
Pics of the latest travels will be posted as soon as I get sorted at home...............

Thanks Vic.
G
ot home yesterday evening, in good weather during the journey, and I'm now trying to get accustomed to the dull, cold weather here at home !
The hire car took some getting used to, as it was a Toyota "Yaris" hybrid, auto box. It had a "glass cockpit", more akin to an F-15 or Eurofighter Typhoon, and was quite spooky at times, with various indications appearing on screen, and different "Beeping" tones sounding now and then, and with the electric motor cutting in, I kept thinking the engine had stopped !
But, with an average of 59.5 mpg, I only used 3.5 gallons of petrol after driving a total of 215 miles, meaning overall fuel consumption was 61.4 mpg, which is incredible, as I'm accustomed to getting around 30 mpg on my petrol X-Trail.
Anyway, I'm in the process of sorting and editing the pics from this latest travels adventure, and I'll post them soon .................

Good stuff Terry. New vehicles are indeed spooky. My new truck, when I come to a stop light, turns the engine off. When the stop light goes green, either hit the throttle or remove your foot from the brake to restart the engine. I'm thinking one day it won't and I'll every car horn behind me reminding me that the light is green

Yep, that's what the "Yaris" did. And every time I switched of (keyless ignition), I wasn't entirely sure if the darned thing had actually closed down !!

OK, starting with the pics from the latest Travels.
As mentioned earlier, Karl and I visited Duxford again and, although there wasn't much new to see, there were a number of changes in the hangars, and the restoration hangar was temporarily closed to the public.
We were rather surprised to see that the Fighter Collection hangar was rather packed with aircraft "left over" from the air show, two weeks previously, with the BBMF's Dakota taking up a lot of space - and I forgot to photograph it!!!
Among these aircraft was Maxi Gainze's beautiful Mk.VIII Spitfire and, although I'd seen this flying, this was the first time I'd had the opportunity to view it up close.
The other hangars had lots of empty spaces, and exhibits had been moved around here, and in the American Museum too.
The Meteor F.8 and Tornado GR.4 were now in better locations, and the Hurricane now had steps and a platform to allow a view into the cockpit, having previously been "posed", with a pilot manikin in the cockpit. As Karl told me that the height of the viewing platform only allowed a view straight downward into the cockpit, I didn't make the uncomfortable effort of climbing the steps.
I've included a pic from a previous visit, showing how it used to be displayed.

We also paid a visit to the Parham Airfield Museum, on the former site of Station 153, Framlingham which, during WW2, was home to the B-17's of the 390th Bomb Group, 8th USAAF.
This is actually two museums, in the preserved control tower and adjacent buildings, consisting of the 390th Bomb Group Museum, and the Museum of the British Resistance, of which more later.
Much of the outline of the former airfield can still be seen, and a number of original buildings are in use by the local farmer, with the original "T2" hangar, located behind the control tower, still in use as warehousing.
These first pics from Framlingham show the control tower and signal square, a view of the buildings and entrance, and some views of the cafe/gift shop, which also had a number of interesting exhibits.
The rather nice Jeep was parked outside, and the title plaque in the last pic is on a rather large, beautifully made diorama of the airfield, the display case for which can be seen in the background of the second interior pic, beneath the rear window, and pics of this, and the rest of the museums, will follow in the next posts' which I'll post hopefully some time tomorrow, depending on how long my hospital appointment is.

Users who are viewing this thread