The Travels of Tel's Tin Tent.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks all.
Wayne, the newer Nissan X-trail was going to be delivered at around 09.00 hrs tomorrow, but due to a family bereavement, the delivery truck driver has asked if he can deliver it this evening. Of course, I've agreed, and it should be with me around 18.00 to 19.00 hrs today.
If it's not p*ssing down here tomorrow, I'll try to take some pics and post them in this thread.

Meanwhile, I'm checking some facts regarding the Resistance Museum, and hope to have the narrative, and the few pics of the Museum, posted some time tomorrow.

We have few such facilities left near me and all are ex-BCATP fields. Visits to them are always evocative and you've captured those feeling very well Terry. Glad to hear that you have a new vehicle coming already.

Thanks Andy. As already mentioned, if you're over here again, and have the time, I'll take you to some of these fields and museums.
As you know, there are lots of them in the region, with around eight that have at least a small museum, and some with a full aviation museum.
Even driving through the narrow, hedge or tree lined country lanes, gives some impression of what it must have been like during WW2, in the middle of nowhere, in the dark, and no signposts!!

The next room was packed with radio equipment, bomb sight computers, and two examples of gyro-stabilized bomb sights.
These were the huge Sperry gyro bomb sight, and the British Mk.XIV gyro sight.
Contrary to popular belief, not all USAAF bombers were equipped with the famous Norden sight, with the Sperry sight being just as common in use, particularly in the B-24. (as well as an American licence-produced version of the Mk.XIV).
Note the size of the Sperry compared to the fairly compact Mk.XIV.
Also on display here was a nice example of the British T/R 1154/1155 radio transmitter / receiver, as used in the majority of RAF multi-engine aircraft.

The B-17 model, scratch-built including the "dispersal pan" and background, is huge - the Browning.50 cal machine gun gives some idea of its size!

A nice display of A1 jackets and flight clothing is in a large glass cabinet, these items being donated by USAAF veterans.

The display panel describing Mission 30 of the 390th BG to Rjukan, Norway, covers the story of the attack on the Norsk Hydro plant at Rjukan, which was producing "Heavy Water" for the German atomic bomb programme. The story is covered in the 1965 movie "The Heros of Telemark", when Norwegian commandos blew up the production facility, only to have it repaired by the Germans in record time. This led to the attack by the B-17s, which failed to destroy the plant. The shipment of "Heavy Water" was finally destroyed, when the Norwegian unit sank the "Hydra" ferry carrying the barrels, in the deepest part of the fjord.
The final two pics from inside the control tower show a 1/72nd scale diorama of the B-17 "Memphis Belle", and some various scale B-24 models.

I'll be back some time tomorrow, with further coverage of the airfield site, and The Museum of the British Resistance. Thanks for all your kind responses so far .......................

View attachment 690456View attachment 690457View attachment 690458View attachment 690459View attachment 690460View attachment 690461View attachment 690462View attachment 690463View attachment 690464View attachment 690465View attachment 690466
I thought these pics of your tour looked familiar. The model B-17 "Lady Velma" was modeled after the fullscale "Lady Velma" flown by the father of a fellow control line model club member. Allen is now deceased and he had planned to build a flying model of his Dad's plane. At Allen's estate sale of his model stuff, I bought his plans, cowls, canopys and parts for his B-17 model. For color and markings I had only the video his younger brother took on a 2017 trip to Parham. Although Allen always said, "The plane my father flew", I never asked if his Dad was actually the pilot. Did you by chance take any photos of the right side of the model, or any others you have not included? Although I have vowed not to begin cutting new wood and finish the other models started, this may make me build the B-17.

Sorry Ed, I didn't get any other pics, as access to the starboard side was a bit restricted, and I was rather stiff in the legs that day. And now looking at the shots, I've just noticed the newspaper cutting, in the frame to the left of the model, which seems to describe the model's builder etc.
The colour scheme and nose art are slightly familiar to me, too, so there's a possibility I might have photos of the real aircraft in one of my books somewhere, though heaven knows which one, if they exist !!
However, there's a very strong chance that I'll be re-visiting the Museum when I get down to my 'van again next season (aiming for late April / early May for the first visit), so I'll make a mental note to try to get further pics. There may even be some wartime photos of this B-17 on display at the Museum.

On a different note, my new(er) Mk.2 Nissan X-Trail has arrived, and is now taxed and insured, and parked outside my house. As it's dark and raining here (no change there then !), I haven't had a chance to give it a good look over, but from what I've seen so far, it's very nice, and in great condition inside and out, with lots of switches, buttons and displays to really confuse me !
I will, of course, get my usual mechanic friend to check it over, mechanically and electrically, and I noticed that one brake light didn't seem to be working, although there's a new bulb in the centre console, so perhaps the dealer didn't have time to fit it, as the delivery date was brought forward.
I'll post some pics of the car tomorrow, given that the rain has stopped by then.

Last edited:
I really thank you for your research and time. I found and reread the Email from Allen back in 2017. In it he said his father flew 33 missions in that B-17 and that the pilot's wife was Velma.

I thought these pics of your tour looked familiar. The model B-17 "Lady Velma" was modeled after the fullscale "Lady Velma" flown by the father of a fellow control line model club member. Allen is now deceased and he had planned to build a flying model of his Dad's plane. At Allen's estate sale of his model stuff, I bought his plans, cowls, canopys and parts for his B-17 model. For color and markings I had only the video his younger brother took on a 2017 trip to Parham. Although Allen always said, "The plane my father flew", I never asked if his Dad was actually the pilot. Did you by chance take any photos of the right side of the model, or any others you have not included? Although I have vowed not to begin cutting new wood and finish the other models started, this may make me build the B-17.

Picture is from 01-10-1944 Maxwell crew

1665604789846.png

1665604827988.png

More thanks! I have a call in for Jeffery, Allen's younger brother so I can give his your info. Could the white void on the kneeling man's jacket, 2nd from right, be censored because it was a unit patch.

After receiving a call back from Jeff Perret, I learned his Dad Flew 33 missions with the same crew beginning D-day, their first mission, until the 390th transferred the plane to a new crew, later downed, and relieved the first crew. Jeff said his Dad wouldn't discuss wartime, giving the excuse many men exaggerate each time they tell the story until they were the one that captured Hitler. Fortunately he has the same info from American Air Museum and fold 3. Thanks for the effort. His photo of his Dad, kneeling 2nd from right, also has the white dot on the jacket. He suggested I look in Pima Air Museum's site as they have an extensive photo and unit history library. I guess I'll have to clear my work bench.

I should have the Resistance Museum info sorted and posted tomorrow. Meanwhile, I mentioned earlier that I forgot to take a photo of the BBMF Dakota in The Fighter Collection hangar at Duxford, so here it is, courtesy of Karl and his 'phone !
Back sometime tomorrow afternoon, UK time ...................

BBMF Dak.jpg
BBMF Dak 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back