The Travels of Tel's Tin Tent.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes indeed. Karl and I always ensure we practice when we meet up !

The Resistance Museum info will be posted later today, but meanwhile, a couple of pics of my new (to me) car, delivered yesterday evening, and replacing the X-Trail that died on me when in Norfolk.

This is the later, "Mk2" version, this time with a 2.0 litre diesel engine, being the Nissan X-Trail 2.0l dCi "Arctix Expedition Sport Adventure" Automatic.
Minor exterior "facelift", with the interior updated, with many more features and gadgets; the auto box has a facility for manual "Sport Mode", the main instrument cluster is now in front of the driver, as opposed to the rather awkward central location of my previous X-Trail, with a more conveniently located multi-function/satnav display screen, and the 4WD select also has a hill descent control. There are many other additions too, including Bluetooth connection for hands-free phone use, and a shed load of buttons and switches both on the steering wheel and panel, which I have yet to get used to. It's also "Intelligent key", with keyless ignition.
The rear side and tailgate windows have "privacy glass ", in other words, tinted, and the rear luggage compartment is 175mm (7 inches) longer, meaning more luggage space. To put that into context, I've calculated that this will allow the carriage of at least a further 18 cases (180 cans) of "Speckled Hen"!!!
One owner from new, fairly low mileage, especially for a diesel, and in overall excellent condition, although with those large roof rails, and the stainless-steel side bars and steps, I might be mistaken for a drug dealer or pimp!!!

Back soon ........................

Nissan forum 1.jpg
Nissan forum 2.jpg
Nissan forum 3.jpg

And so, on to the Museum of the British Resistance Organisation (BRO), more commonly known as the Auxiliaries, a highly secret organisation, the existence of which wasn't made public until 1992 !!

There aren't many photos, as it was fairly tightly packed in the main exhibition area, with lots of glass cases and lighting being reflected. Therefore, it was difficult to take photos of the many and varied weapons, both firearm and silent killing types, and a whole host of other interesting exhibits.
However, the few photos and the narrative will, I hope, give some idea of what this organisation was all about.
I had hoped to meet an old friend here, a firearms and explosives expert I used to often work with around 20 years ago, who was a volunteer in this museum, but, when I asked the current volunteers, I was told he hadn't been seen, or heard of, for around four years. I just hope the worst hasn't happened to him.
I'll divide the coverage between this, and the next post.

Background.

In June 1940, with the threat of Britain being invaded by Nazi forces very real, the then Prime Minister, Winston Churchill, ordered that a covert "stay behind" force of highly trained teams be set up, with the intent of disrupting German supplies, transport, troop movements, communications etc, and also to assassinate high-ranking officials on both sides, both military and civilian. The latter order was to prevent the possibility / probability of secret information being extracted from these (British) individuals, should they be captured and brutally interrogated by the Gestapo or German Intelligence organisations.
This organisation of groups of men, known as the Auxiliaries (henceforth referred to as BRO), was to be based throughout the mainland British Isles, mainly on the eastern side, from Scotland to the English Channel, and to have secret Operating Bases prepared, hidden, underground, in countryside locations, of which more later.
Members of the BRO were all volunteers from all over the country and, following intensive security checks, and sworn to secrecy, if accepted, they were transported to the Post Office in the village of Highworth, Yorkshire, where they reported to the Postmistress. A truck would then collect the men, and transport them by a very circuitous route, intended to disorientate the volunteers, and prevent them knowing exactly where they were, to the Training Centre at Coleshsill House, a remote country estate.
Here, the men underwent intensive training, in many subjects, including skill at arms, silent killing with various lethal weapons, some of which were "household" items, hand to hand combat (from the manual by Major W.E. Fairbairn, the co-designer of the Fairbairn-Sykes "Commando" dagger), improvised explosives, "stock" explosives, communications, camouflage and concealment, survival techniques, and a lot more.
Although there were military personnel in the BRO, the majority of the members were "country" people - farmers, landowners, poachers, and so on - people who "knew" the countryside they'd be operating in, and could live off the land if, and when, needed.
The BRO was in existence until 1944, when the threat of invasion had passed, and many members went on to serve with the SAS, putting their skills to use on Operations in France, Holland and Germany, until war's end.
Still sworn to secrecy, former BRO members never discussed, or revealed the existence of the "Auxiliaries", even to their families, during WW2, and up to their passing.

The pics below show Karl viewing one of the large wall displays, the Number 2 Dress uniform donated by Sgt.Maj. Terry Cresswell, "C" Sqn, 21 SAS and a very precious exhibit in the form of the SAS War Diary, with the developed styles of the SAS parachute "wings" alongside in the glass case.

I'll be back soon with the second, and final instalment of this particular "Tin Tent Travels", covering the Operating Bases of the BRO.

Fr 46.jpg
Fr 47.jpg
Fr 48.jpg
Fr 49.jpg

Last edited:
There's a bit of an Internet problem here at the moment, which is slowing things down, although my service provider is stating it should be solved soon, according to their latest e-mail.
Therefore, I'll post the second instalment on the BRO some time tomorrow.

Yes indeed. Karl and I always ensure we practice when we meet up !

The Resistance Museum info will be posted later today, but meanwhile, a couple of pics of my new (to me) car, delivered yesterday evening, and replacing the X-Trail that died on me when in Norfolk.

This is the later, "Mk2" version, this time with a 2.0 litre diesel engine, being the Nissan X-Trail 2.0l dCi "Arctix Expedition Sport Adventure" Automatic.
Minor exterior "facelift", with the interior updated, with many more features and gadgets; the auto box has a facility for manual "Sport Mode", the main instrument cluster is now in front of the driver, as opposed to the rather awkward central location of my previous X-Trail, with a more conveniently located multi-function/satnav display screen, and the 4WD select also has a hill descent control. There are many other additions too, including Bluetooth connection for hands-free phone use, and a shed load of buttons and switches both on the steering wheel and panel, which I have yet to get used to. It's also "Intelligent key", with keyless ignition.
The rear side and tailgate windows have "privacy glass ", in other words, tinted, and the rear luggage compartment is 175mm (7 inches) longer, meaning more luggage space. To put that into context, I've calculated that this will allow the carriage of at least a further 18 cases (180 cans) of "Speckled Hen"!!!
One owner from new, fairly low mileage, especially for a diesel, and in overall excellent condition, although with those large roof rails, and the stainless-steel side bars and steps, I might be mistaken for a drug dealer or pimp!!!

Back soon ........................

View attachment 690596View attachment 690597View attachment 690598

Does the "Artix Expedition Sport Adventure" package mean it is equipped with a P-39 British heater? It looks excellent, except they installed the steering wheel on the wrong side>

The heater, if anything like my other X-Trail, should be far superior to the P-39 heater, and, of course, distribution of heat, to the front and rear of the car, does not affect the CoG, nor does it corrode the nose armour !!
The steering wheel is on the right side, although we drive on the left side - except Tuesdays and Thursdays, during summer months, when we drive on the right side, with the steering wheel on the right side, just to confuse French tourists, who are driving on the left side, although more accustomed to driving on the right side ...................

Continuing with the story of the BRO.

Once trained, the groups of Auxiliaries were dispersed to their home locations, mostly in countryside areas, where they would organise the patrol teams, select a covert area for an Operating Base (OB), and construct this. All of this was done in extreme secrecy, and the tightest security.
In all, there were around 1,000 OB's, situated throughout the mainland UK, and to this day, only a handful have been located, such was the secrecy of the BRO.
Patrol teams were made up of between eight to ten men, with sometimes two teams per OB, each of which would rotate the duties, spending up to two weeks at the OB, which had supplies and basic rations to cover this period. During this time, the men were away from their families and friends, and had absolutely no contact with the "outside world", except for their own radio or "dead letter drop" communications with the local HQ.
In the event that Britain had been invaded, life expectancy of the Auxiliary teams was ten days !

The Operating Bases.

As mentioned, these were constructed in countryside locations, mainly in woodland, or heathland with plenty of scrub and other cover.
The bases were built underground, to a depth of at least 12 feet (3.65 meters), and then covered with earth, grass and foliage, providing excellent, natural camouflage and, at that depth, ensuring that discovery would be extremely difficult - even to this day!!!
The OB's were, of course, compact, but able to accommodate the full 8 to10 man patrol, if somewhat cramped.
Entrance was via a steel ladder inside a vertical, brick-built shaft, with the steel hatch for this extremely well camouflaged, often with a bush, tree stump or large clumps of grass on top. The hatch was counterbalanced, to assist easy closure, and could be locked from the inside.
The interior was equipped with sleeping bunks, table and chairs, a storage area for rations and equipment, and a separate area for weapons, ammunition and explosives. Toilet facilities were of the chemical "Elsan" type.
At the opposite end from the entrance shaft there was an emergency exit, finally exciting above ground some distance from the main entrance shaft. and again, effectively camouflaged externally.
This emergency exit was constructed with a "dog leg", providing a concrete and brick blast wall, similar to those found in concrete "pill boxes" or gun emplacements, and intended to shield escaping personnel from the blast and shrapnel of grenades, should a German patrol discover the main entrance, and drop these down the shaft.
Lighting and heating were rudimentary, consisting of oil lamps, and a paraffin heater, with a fresh air vent, in the form of ducting, through the wall, the open ends of which emerged above ground some distance from the OB, and were, again camouflaged very effectively.
Cooking could be done on a stove, again built into the wall, and the chimney for this would once again be run underground some distance, and then hidden inside a hollow tree trunk, allowing any smoke or cooking fumes to vent and disperse above the tree canopy.

The Museum has re-created one of these OB's, partly underground, and the photos below give some idea of what it must have been like inside, during WW2.
As it was very cramped, and movement restricted, especially as I was on my small mobility scooter, I wasn't able to photograph the representation of the entrance shaft and ladder or obtain suitable angles to get more shots. (Entrance to the Museum's OB is via a ramp, with the exit near the reconstruction of the emergency "blast wall" exit, again via a ramp).
The modern lighting inside this recreated OB is fairly dim, although probably brighter than that of the wartime oil lamps, and created the right kind of atmosphere. The first photo was taken using the available light, to give some idea of how conditions might have been, with the remaining two shots using flash, in order to view the various details.
Note the oil lamp, Sten gun and gas mask, and the bomb making items on the table.
The emergency exit (and the visitors actual exit) is at the end of the brick storage area, seen through the hatch of the main room.

And finally, to complete this chapter on my latest "Travels of Tel's Tin Tent", the final three photos show a better image of the control tower at Framlingham in 1944, with a B-17 overhead, a map of the airfield, with the museum area outlined in red and showing the various dispersed sites, and a wartime aerial photo of the airfield and surrounding area.
And a snippet I've only just learned - the singer Ed Sheeran comes from Framlingham!

I hope you've enjoyed this coverage of this year's "Travels", and thank you for your kind comments and "likes" etc.
Depending on weather, and my personal mobility, I still intend to try to get to the Lake District this year, to search out the trail of WW2 escaped Luftwaffe PoWs, so there may be more to come. If not, then hopefully I'll do it in spring.

Fr 50.jpg
Fr 51.jpg
Fr 52.jpg
Fram tower.jpg
Fram map.jpg
Fram wartime.png

Very interesting Terry. I was not aware of this aspect of Britain's defenses and have learned something. How long did these guys stay in the OB?. It must have gotten pretty close in there.

Thanks very much all, glad you enjoyed it.
Andy, from what I've learned, in the early days they might stay in a OB for up to two weeks. However, if the Invasion had happened, it would probably have been indefinitely - if they survived the predicted ten days life expectancy.
Of course, they wouldn't be underground all of the time, as patrols would have been mounted, both recce and sabotage, and re-supply runs organised etc.
Still, it must have been rather "fuggy" in there, even after a few hours - and no hot showers or "Lynx" deodorant!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back