The US Army's Hidden Treasures (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Absolutely amazing..... It would be nice if some rich turkey [like Bill Gates] would provide the funding for a place to
display this beautiful art. It's a shame it's stashed away from public view.

Charles

Ok, now that I'm back I'll start to post some of my paintings if you are ok with that. I am trying find a scanner to post a couple of paintings I worked on in the military as well. Here is the first one, my first painting all on my own. This painting took first at the Clairmont Art show many years ago.

Attachments

• 7Aug2010 026.jpg
    7Aug2010 026.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 110
Here is a painting I designed and worked on that was put on a conference room wall at 3rd Brigade HQ, 7th ID (L). I'm the fellow on the right. The actual painting was about 5 meters long and approximately 2.5 meters high. My major contribution, aside from the overall design, was the painting of the faces and hands. The second painting was designed and painted by me onto a 2ton Vietnam vintage truck door. The owner wanted a nose art type picture. The picture was covered by a spare tire during parades except when passing an old vet. Then the spare would swing out on a hinge exposing the picture.

Attachments

• Army Painting..bmp
    2.3 MB · Views: 117
  • HPIM0621.JPG
    HPIM0621.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 85
total agreement guys, excellent pictures, and i'm sorry to say that i knew nothing whatever about this art. i know that there were guys who made sketches from time to time. many were sent home. i had a camera and from time to time did take some pics but that's about it. there were a few abortive attempts to put "nose art" type pics on varoius things but some maj or col usually had a cow and it had to come down just like all the old cadence calls are history. Everyone love our PC world?

Thanks guys. Sorry about some of the reflected light. I couldn't get a good angle when I took the pictures but enough of the detail came through. Many of my paintings were life sized like the first two. Here is my last painting I did as an aniversary present. I realize my skills are not up to snuff as far as a fine arts painter. I never liked being under pressure to paint something but sometimes I get in the mood to paint for the enjoyment of it. Some of my paintings through out the different Army installations can still be seen today. There use to be several paintings of mine at the Advanced Non-Commissioned Officers Academy while the 7th division was at Ft. Ord. The Hq unit for Jump School at Ft. Benning had for the longest time one of my paintings that may still be there. It was located behind the Charge of Quarters desk on the left wall. A large mural of a desert dropzone. Its been there since 1982 when I went through. I think Ft. Polk had two, Schofield Barracks had four, and Ft. Ord had the most with a total of 20 paintings. I was stationed there for 7 years. In Panama I designed the logo for Task Force Atlantic, a pineapple with Noriega's face on it and a bayonet running through it. :) I understand Noriega found out about it and wasn't too happy. Anyway, that's my claim to fame. Hope you all enjoyed my pictures and thanks for letting me post them here. PS. I came across this painting, my version of a Rembrant I painted when I was 17. I was learning how to paint with oils. :)

Attachments

• 7Aug2010 029.jpg
    7Aug2010 029.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 123
  • HPIM0124.JPG
    HPIM0124.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 140
night fighter,
really nice work, i have trouble drawing a straight line with a ruler.
did my basic at Ord and my para at benning but that was the early '60s

did my three weeks at benning in early '66 right after SF at bragg. if you were near the 250 tower you probably heard my "S**T" when the chute released. i am proud to say that i did not need new pants

As a matter of fact I was there in early '66. Good thing you didn't become the man of steel by dropping back into the tower like some did. :) I think my dad was flying Cobra and Huey helicopters at Benning during that time. I know I was going to school then. Were you there when they use to do combat tactics demonstrations for dignataries, press, and soldier's families? I went to one of those when I was there. It was quite a display that I still remember. :)

not at benning but there was quite a bit of that at Bragg. SF was fairly new and vietnam was a rapidly heating controversy so the army brought press, public, visiting firemen, congressmen, etc. out to explain the SF mission, tactics, organization, etc. And one cannot forget fayettenam.
benning is a blur of running, 35ft towers, running, lateral drift, running, 250ft tower, running, and the final 5 jumps from a real plane. one of my favorite benning memories is the "rock pit" where you were sent to improve your PLF if you didn't perfect it soon enough.
from benning it was back to vietnam where i made one combat jump. everything else was what is now termed: air assault

Last edited:
thank you, rabid. like most viet vets all i got was spit on and called a "baby killer". it has only been the last 5 years or so that i have been able to let that go

I've never understood the reasoning behind that, Mike. Granted, I was born in '74, so didn't experience much of it, but I do recall hearing Dad (a career Air Force guy) talking about troops coming home and receiving that treatment. My first thoughts on the subject were "they were just doing their job...spit on the politicians instead!". I know its late, but its good to see the public coming around and actually realizing what the military is doing, putting their lives on the line for us here at home. I try to thank every vet I see, including the Vietnam vets (of which there are quite a few who are truckers, so I run into them pretty regularly at the trucking company I contract IT for). Its sad, though, that its taken so long, and 9-11, for the general population and media to come around.

Thanks Rabid. Yes the times have changed but there are still some who don't or won't understand. I'm sure you've seen bumper stickers that say I support our troops? They usually don't really, its just something PC that makes them fit in with the crowd. The ones that actually support the troops are the ones who have a member of their family in it or have actually participated in sending the troops care packages. The funny thing is these folks don't have those kind of bumper stickers on their cars. Action speaks louder than words. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back