The US Army's Hidden Treasures (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A sincere thanks for that... stunning..

A few of those pieces are well known but it's good to see the originals are safe

I am really impressed with such an incredible collection and efforts to record the nation's history.
Amazing. Thanks for sharing, syscom3.

There is no reason why an organisation such as the Smithsonian or J Paul Getty couldn't have a gallery showing some of these items and rotate them on a regular basis. It would be quicker and cheaper than building a gallery capable of showing most of these items.

I would pay to see such a collection

I'd be willin to bet a bunch of museums around the country could be persuaded to host an exhibition every now and then, with new pieces showcased every year: Veterans' Day, July 4th, Memorial Day, D-Day Normandy, Pearl Harbor Day, there are a ton of significant dates that would be appropriate to hosting military images. And I too would be willing to pay to see them!

I've seen some of those paintings from time to time in books but had no Idea the originals were hidden away like that. They really need to be brought out and shown!

I'm familiar with this. While stationed at Ft. Ord, I learned of the Army Artists program. What they generally do is take soldiers who are artists and give them temporary duty to different locations. They take a camera and or sketch pad with them as they get deployed to any place the Army happens to be. Then they are brought back to their home unit and use any media they are comfortable with for their art work. I requested this but the Army at that time was drawing down and there wasn't a need then. Now however there is a big need for them but I'm retired now. I have some snapshots of the paintings I did while in the Army. For awhile I had a painting at every base I was assigned. :)

This was back before there were digital cameras and I'm not sure how to scan the photos I do have. I'll try to post what I can when I return from Russia. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back