The What is it? Game

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

'Just missed the last Big One' has got me thinking (and that's hard work!). Can't think what it is, but I'll probably kick myself when it's revealed.

If it's not English, then I only know of one Scottish aircraft company, one Northern Irish company, but no Welsh companies (as mainstream producers)!
So, given it's not British, as an outside guess, working on the info provided, I'll have a shot at Twin Mustang (darn, missed!).

Its not a 25 or a Twin Mustang...good guess though.

Its not British
Its Post War but not by very much
Its not a jet
It was used as a spyplane...but that was not its main role
The pic shows an engine cowling in the open position

And it has a 4 cyclinder engine :shock:

DHC Chipmunk? Primary trainer, but RAF Gatow station flight used one right up to the end of the 'Cold War' for 'spying' on East Berlin and the immediate border area.

Terry, you gotta stop thinking so hard, cos when you do, you get the correct answer :)..well done mate

Its the venerable DH Chipmunk. Took this one at Oshkosh back in 2004

Now whats all this about being a spy plane ?....checky here... de Havilland Chipmunk

Attachments

• chip.jpg
    chip.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 72
It suddenly came to me that I recognized that intake scoop, having banged my head more than once on the cowling when doing checks on the 'Chippie' I used to get to fly in, or fly, now and then!
Then I remembered the Berlin 'Chippies', and their 'spy' flights.
Anyway, try this one. Sorry about the grainy shot, it's an enlarged crop from a bigger picture.

Attachments

• WIG 29.jpg
    WIG 29.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 67

Absolutely !

First thought was a Hawker Hunter, but soon ruled that out, then I thought Mossie, but not sure about the panels...heck I dont even know what calibre the gun chutes are but they look 'big' bore... only other one I can think of is the Beaufighter ?

It is indeed a Beaufighter. This one, a 'Green Ghost', under restoration, eventually to flying condition I believe, at Duxford - and you've walked past it umpteen times Gary!

Attachments

• Czech 061.jpg
    Czech 061.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 58
  • Czech 052.jpg
    Czech 052.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 63
It is indeed a Beaufighter. This one, a 'Green Ghost', under restoration, eventually to flying condition I believe, at Duxford - and you've walked past it umpteen times Gary!

I have indeed walked past that one hundreds of times but I didn't recognise her due to the little yellow handle thingy !!. Nice one mate.

Here's another offering from my archives for you to ponder

Attachments

• what6.jpg
    what6.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 58
Rather like the intake (covered) on a Wessex, but it isn't. Looks familiar, and I'm thinking it's the Rs end of something I've seen, but can't remember what!

It's not a Wessex, rekalection or a Globemaster.

This is going to be difficult to give some clues without letting the cat out of the bag...Ummmm....Errrrr.....Ok, try this...its landing technique and ability was changed after a while and its not modern

Users who are viewing this thread

Back