To all you guys 'n' gals in the USA

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Been fine here in SoCal. Have an airshow coming up this weekend with predicted high of 75 and mostly sunny. I grew up in the white stuff, that's why I'm here now. :)

Having just made it to work in Boston now, I can say that it definitely feels colder than yesterday. Business dress code doesn't help against the wind either!

Glenn, we were at 33F(1C) and it was sunny this AM but the clouds have rolled in and temps dropping with a bit of sleet starting. Prediction is 2-3in(5 - 8cm) by thurs AM

woke up yesterday to my wife announcing we had no water in the one sink.....the hot water pipe was froze and so was the "P" trap for the drain. spent the best part of 2 hours doing everything i knew to get some heat to that area and finaly gave up. nature was just going to have to take its course. around about 4 in the afternoon the hot water thawed enough to get it running but the drain was still clogged pretty good. i was able to pour hot water down and get it going. talking with people at work most of them have at least one pipe that is froze.....

I had a pipe freeze like that in a crawl space years ago. I picked up an electric pipe heater cable with a temperature activated switch and wrapped it with a little insulation and it never froze again. If the trouble is in a sink cabinet it's even easier, just open the cabinet when it gets really cold and the heat from the house will keep it from freezing.

My folks' manifold kept freezing up in their pumphouse between the well and the pressure tank. Even though it was insulated, it simply had no warmth at all. My Stepdad put a heater in there but I told him that was an expensive overkill...all he needed was a small light fixture with a low wattage bulb near the manifold. The little bit of heat cast off by the bulb did the trick, it hasn't froze in over 30 years...

Temp is holding at freezing but the light rain coming down is freezing. Probably be iced in again tomorrow. Then comes Fri, temps go up maybe to 50F (10C) but HEAVY rain is predicted. With the rain, snow, frozen ground, and ice we have flood warnings posted. This can stop any time now

Got to give it to you guy, wouldn't want to be in your shoes at the moment, don't mind a bit of cold as long as the sun is out warming me up. On the lighter side, sometimes we just got to open the back door to boil the milk or fry the eggs on the back step and it don't take much to warm the barby up for that juicy steak either.

Jan, a Celsius degree is just about twice the size of a Fahrenheit degree (actually 1.8 times as big). Then Fahrenheit zero and Celsius zero to not line-up. Fahrenheit tried to eliminate negative temperatures so his zero is the freezing point of a brine solution. So to convert: Fahrenheit temp = 1.8 ( Celsius temp) + 32
In your case: 1.8 ( -40 ) + 32 = -40F and your second becomes: 1.8 ( -15) + 32 = 5F
For a quick rough conversion double the Celsius temp and add 32

Users who are viewing this thread

Back