Train Pics

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Some pictures I took a couple weeks ago at Afton Canyon, California. This is on the Union Pacific "LA&SL" route. I am on the east end of the canyon, and most of the views are due east, looking into a vast desert wilderness. It really is desolate and isolated out here. This canyon is in San Bernardino County near I-15, between Barstow and Baker.

DSC_1021.JPG

DSC_0977.JPG

DSC_0978.JPG

DSC_0979.JPG

DSC_0981.JPG

DSC_0983.JPG

DSC_0985.JPG

DSC_0987.JPG

DSC_0989.JPG

DSC_0990.JPG

DSC_0993.JPG

DSC_0994.JPG

DSC_0995.JPG

DSC_0997.JPG

DSC_1000.JPG

DSC_1001.JPG

DSC_1002.JPG

DSC_1005.JPG

DSC_1006.JPG

DSC_1007.JPG

DSC_1008.JPG

DSC_1009.JPG

DSC_1010.JPG

DSC_1011.JPG

DSC_1012.JPG

DSC_1014.JPG

DSC_1015.JPG

DSC_1016.JPG

DSC_1017.JPG

DSC_1018.JPG

DSC_1019.JPG

DSC_1020.JPG

Last edited:
I sure miss the high-desert, spent many a day out there when I was a kid on family outings...a couple family friends owned "homesteads", especially up in Joshua Tree country.

Photo #8, love the moon hanging in the sky and photo #26 shows what looks to be a flat-bridge washed down into the arroyo.

Great shots, all of them! :thumbleft:

9823.1109555580_zpsuxoyivni.jpg

Santa Fe's backshop in San Bernardino. Visible in this shot are SD45s, F7B, an RSD15 and a GP30. The SD45 facing away from the camera is sitting about where the turntable used to be, and the old roundhouse (now used by the MOW department) can still be seen on the left. For a view of this area from 1961, click HERE!

....which I did..

1083.1326931592_zpsa57zbmsm.jpg

The roundhouse and turntable combination was railroading's unique solution to servicing steam locomotives in a relatively small area. Even a large roundhouse, such as this example at Santa Fe Railway's San Bernardino, California, yard was an efficient use of space. By the time of this photo in April 1961, steam was gone and was replaced with diesels. But the roundhouse and turntable was still in service.

A few years ago, I took that train from Portland down to Los Angeles. Its no exaggeration to to say the scenery is spectacular and unique.

Martin Petrus Frederik Blomberg (December 11, 1888 in Östervåla, Sweden—1966 in Winter Park, Florida) was a US American engineer of Swedish origin. He became well known for the development of the truck frame for the diesel-electric locomotives of the Electro Motive Division (EMD).

Early life
Blomberg grew up as a son of a teacher and minister. He graduated from the technical institute in Örebro, and in 1910 went to the university at Uppsala. In this time, he was very active and trained for the Olympic Games of 1912 in Sweden. However, he immigrated to Canada in the same year. From 1912 to 1914, he worked in Trois-Rivières, Quebec in a paper mill, and studied technical drawing and mechanical construction in an evening school. From 1915, he worked then National Steel Car Ltd Hamilton, Ontario. He later traveled for a year by canoeing 900 miles from the Albany River to the Hudson Bay.
In 1916, he went to the US and enlisted with the US Army during WWI. After he returned, he married Laura Van Buskirk. His son Richard Nelson Blomberg was born on October 21, 1924.

Pullman-Standard
From 1925 to 1935, Blomberg worked for the Pullman Company, where he was responsible for the construction of railroad truck frames and passenger car bodies. Among his designs he assisted at Pullman were the Union Pacific M-10000 in 1934 (U.S. Patent D100,000), and the Brooklyn Rapid Transit "Green Hornet", lightweight MS Multi-section car (New York City Subway car) for use on the BRT elevated transit lines in Brooklyn, New York.
Electro-Motive

On September 1, 1935, he accepted a position in the Electro-Motive Corporation (from 1941, it was renamed to Electro-Motive Division of General Motors). It was here Blomberg was given responsibility for the construction of locomotive bodies, frames and truck frames. The EMC E4 diesel-electric locomotive was mostly his design, including the three-axle (A1A) truck. In 1939 he designed the four-wheel flexible truck frame from the three-axle version for the new diesel-electric freight locomotive called the EMD FT. This four-wheel truck frame and its derivations were incorporated in more than 15,000 locomotives. Unofficially, but generally accepted, the two-axle trucks, Blomberg B and Blomberg M, are named after him. The two-axle AAR Type A switcher truck is also a Blomberg design.
Blomberg registered over 100 patents with the US Patent and Trademark Office during his 32 years with EMD. In 1947, he became lead engineer after the chief engineer of EMD.

Retirement
On 1 June 1949, he retired. He died 1966 at the age of 78 years of age in Winter Park, Florida.

That about the EMC's E4 and the AAR Type A truck I did not know....oh well, you learn something everyday! What Blomberg and Nystrom didn't know about trucks, were probably not worth knowing....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back