Train Pics

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

View attachment 753782
March 1943. "Dalies, New Mexico. Conductor C.W. Tevis picking up a message from a woman operator on the
Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe between Belen and Gallup." Photo by Jack Delano for the Office of War Information.

Source: Internet
I have delivered hundreds of train orders in this way. The Form 19's, A-cards and C-Cards are rolled together and tied to the string and are visible next to the conductor's elbow. The string is suspended between the two forks and is looped around a clip at the fork of that contraption that will easily release when snagged. The operator holds up the stick and the conductor snags the bundle in the crook of his elbow. This operator's equipment is exactly what I used. It's a real hoot when 80 billion tons of GP-38 comes screaming in* at you at night and you're about an arm's length away from the train. Usually some mischievous engineer will flip on the brights on approach just for a laugh. A favorite conductor prank was to grab the entire stick and toss it into the brambles and bushes a few hundred feet down the track from the tower.
Good times!

*EDIT: Honesty compels me to mention, after just talking to a real locomotive engineer, the speed was about 15 mph.

Last edited:
IMG_20231224_033607.jpg

Circa 1905. "Lake Shore caboose." Yet another negative we bought years ago for 99 cents from someone in Ohio.
We may not know the name of the photographer, but we know what he looks like. 3¼ x 5½ inch glass plate.

IMG_20231224_034222.jpg

March 1943. "Duoro, New Mexico. Rounding a curve in the sheep and cattle country along the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe
between Clovis and Vaughn, New Mexico." Photo by Jack Delano, Office of War Information.

IMG_20231224_034342.jpg

March 1943. "Brakeman Jack Torbet, sitting at the window of the caboose pulling out of Waynoka, Oklahoma, on the
Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad." Photo by Jack Delano for the Office of War Information.

IMG_20231224_081531.jpg

Circa 1903. "Unloading bananas at New Orleans." Final installment of a thrilling trilogy we've watched unfold here over
the past three years. 8x10 inch dry plate glass negative, Detroit Publishing Company.

IMG_20231224_082132.jpg

March 1943. "Argentine, Kansas. Freight train about to leave the Santa Fe railyard for the West Coast."
Jack Delano, Office of War Information.

Usa copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years.

Delano, Jack,--1914-1997

However everything made for i.g. Office of War Information or other government offices should be good.

Sites like shorpy tend to overlook that bit and claim.

What could be an option is asking this site permission to get a more or less free add for their stuff here. This is a very well visited site with potential buyers and/ or collectors of things they have for sale.

Last edited:
A great series! Love the history and I can only imagine the working conditions 120 years ago. I would suspect as we are not selling or making a profit we are safe because of the "personal and educational" clause. A bit of trivia for post 1865: Banana spiders came in with the shiploads of bananas. Not deadly, but the painful bite of the 4 inch diameter critter lasted several days. My first job at Kodak in the early 60s was in an old building (built 1941) on St. Charles Ave. New Orleans. Twice each year a pest control service rep went through both floors with his spray and for the next two weeks sick, large banana spiders would drop from the cracks in the ceiling. Exciting!

IMG_20231229_171945.jpg

Pt47-13 (Fablok 1863/1948), withdrawn in 1988, was initially plinthed in Bielsko-Biała. Transferred to the Kraków Płaszów
depot in 2001, it was moved to Skarżysko Kamienna in 2011 and plinthed near the railway station on April 13, 2012, with
the 33D48-20 tender. This photo was taken on the next day – motion gear and plates are still missing. Pt47-13 was officially
'unveiled' on April 19.

IMG_20231229_171955.jpg

Pt47-13 again, after the whole place has been tidied up and some missing elements fitted: July 8, 2012.

Source: Pt47

IMG_20240104_025432.jpg

Three F7s roll west through fresh snow in February 1961 in Taylor Township (now the City of Taylor), Mich., 4 miles out of
Oakwood Yard, with a freight to Montpelier, Ohio, and Decatur, Ill.

Photo: J. David Ingles

IMG_20240104_025759.jpg

Wabash's first GE U25B rolls west with freight ADK-1 on its initial revenue run, May 26, 1962, as seen from JA Tower at
Jacksonville, Ill. The road traded in its nine Alco FAs and FBs on the 15 GEs, ushering in a new era of Wabash Railway history.

Source: Wabash Railway history remembered - Trains

View attachment 755395
Three F7s roll west through fresh snow in February 1961 in Taylor Township (now the City of Taylor), Mich., 4 miles out of
Oakwood Yard, with a freight to Montpelier, Ohio, and Decatur, Ill.

View attachment 755396
Wabash's first GE U25B rolls west with freight ADK-1 on its initial revenue run, May 26, 1962, as seen from JA Tower at
Jacksonville, Ill. The road traded in its nine Alco FAs and FBs on the 15 GEs, ushering in a new era of Wabash Railway history.

Source: Wabash Railway history remembered - Trains
I have a strong feeling that the engineer is leaning out to snag orders and messages from the block operator, by the use of the same contraption to deliver orders to the conductor shown in an earlier photo. Orders and messages are to be delivered to both conductor and engineer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back