Transport Command Diorama

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Been popular for many years Matt, most of my large collection of paints are humbrols like that.

Good work mate :)

Looks like they would be a pain in the backside, Heinz. What do you guys use to remove a couple of drops of paint from those tins? They don't pour well and you tin becomes a paint nightmare with all the drippings running down the side.

I normally just use a brush to get what I need Matt. Although I agree, if you need a lot of paint, maybe for a large area of single colour, especially for mixing for airbrush use, it can be a pain. In those instances, I sometimes use a syringe. It's just that these 14ml tinlets were among the very first paints made specifically for model use, by what used to be the Humber Oil Company, (hence 'Humbrol') back in the early 1950's. The company made paints and other such products as an offshoot of their core business, and found a market in the flying model sector. This led to them developing paints in smaller 'tinlets' for the then burgeoing small scale modelling market. In the late '60's, they re-formulated the paints to be even thinner, in order to give good coverage, but with easier application and a scale appearance, and, not much later, were the first company ever to produce 'authentic' camouflage colours for plastic modellers; virtually every other company has followed their lead. Unfortunately, the 'authentic' range is no more!

Cool info Airframes!

I also have mostly Humbrol colours. Small, but great range, and most of them match straight up to the box numbers.

I used an eye-dropper to get small amounts out. Although now that I have my airbrush, I might broaden my range to other brands and see what I like.

Hi all just a quick message to say the short stirling is almost finshed apart from the top turret needs filling in. Just to say about the paint is that I don't find them diffiecult to use them. Mainly I use varrying sizes of brushs.

I will Post some Photos Soon.

Hi all just a quick message to say the short stirling is almost finshed apart from the top turret needs filling in. Just to say about the paint is that I don't find them diffiecult to use them. Mainly I use varrying sizes of brushs.

I will Post some Photos Soon.
try some taping to achieve straight lines it isn't a race

Ahhh, I still have some Humbrol paints, Matt. Great for colors and afterwards I clean the tin and use it to mix. I don't know how they would do for air-brushing tho.

No problem at all with airbrushing Humbrol, N. Just thin to suit, normally around 60/40, and away you go. After all, what else did people use in airbrushes before Tamiya, Vallejo etc introduced acrylics? I'll admit, the Gustav was the first time I'd used acrylics in an airbrush (first time with acrylics for anything, in a way), but I found them to be a bit of a pain (my lack of experience with them) and a real pain to clean-up compared to enamels, due to the polymers hardening in the spray head. Much easier with Humbrol!
Terry.

Airframes, I'm not an acrylic advocate. Just am non-plussed with the Humbrol containers. A jar with a thin lipped-screw-on top seems to be less "medieval" with respect to transferring paint, as opposed to a tin.

Good God Humbrol, get in the 21st Century. :lol:

And as Pb said. Don't rush it. Modeling is less about glueing, painting and decaling.. and more about ability to wait and think your process through end-to-end.

I agree about the tins, Matt. But it's what you get used to I suppose, and many other manufacturers do the same; Revell, Xtracolour etc. I think it might also have something to do with preserving the shelf-life of the paint, keeping it 'in the dark', like the full-sized version. Could be wrong though!

Can I put the recored straight that the picture of the stirling before the post that said I had finished the stirling was taken a week or more before I actually posted it.

A quich update
DSC02865.jpg

the Horsa is not quite finished yet but soon will be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back