Transport Command Diorama

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

TL Blade

Airman 1st Class
Jul 27, 2008
Nuneaton
I have just started work on a Diorama for Transport Command. Of the Night before D-Day. A Brief deiscription is of a Short Stirling being made ready to tow a Glider over to Normandy.

At the Moment I have a New Stirling Kit, A Horsa Glider and some ground crewe with fuel trucks.

I need to know of there are any small set of Aircrewe standing causally?
Can anyone also suggest what would be the best thing to use as grass?

I'm also planning to put other items in such as an AA gun that protects the airfield.

I will start posting Photos soon.

Sounds awesome!

For grass sorry having never made a diarama before I'm clueless

Look forward to the pics ,really interesting subject

I have only just started. So here are some early photos.
DSC02074.jpg

DSC02079.jpg

DSC02078.jpg

DSC02077.jpg

DSC02076.jpg

Hi TL. Looks like a good project. For grass in that scale, you can either use the 'scatter material', which is pre-dyed sawdust basically, or the grass 'mats', both of which will be available from model railway outlets, and most model shops. I'm not sure if they are still available, but Airfix used to do a set of about 40 figures, R.A.F. WW2 personnel. They are doing an airfield set at the moment, which includes a vehicle or two and a Nissen hut, and they also do a control tower.
If you can't find the figures, have a look at the Model Hobbies web site, under 1/72 scale aircraft, and military, you will probably find something suitable, as all of their products are illustrated. Just key in modelhobbies in Google, and it's the first one on the page.

Go to a model train stockist for 'fake' grass theres quite a few types to chose from, you can get sun parched grass to deep green grass in many shades, its about £5 a roll and is easily stuck on hardboard with either double side tape or spray adiesive.

It looks like this .........

Useful Sheet of 'Grass' for Model Railway Scenes #130 on eBay, also Animals Scenery, OO Gauge, Trains Railway Models, Collectables (end time 09-Nov-08 21:53:54 GMT)

Don't forget that the Short Sterling had faired over noses front and back[no turrets] 8)

Add plenty of lead weight into the nose of the Horsa Glider or she'll belly up if you don't :oops:

I know you haven't asked to see these pictures, but i'm only showing you a representation of the 'grass' :rolleyes:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
A quick update
DSC02484.jpg

I have tryed to but as much detail into the cockpit as possible.
DSC02485.jpg

I found photos showing that rear turrets are still there. But as far as can tell there is no top turret. so I will try using filler to fill in the hole.
But for know here is a shot of the cockpit.
DSC02491.jpg

You'll need some plastic stock for that hole TL. Filler won't span the gap of a turret. Cut a piece of plastic from a food container or pop bottle. Then use filler. You'll get much better results.

And you cockpit is coming along nicely!

Excellent!

Is it popular in the UK to sell paints in those small tins? I would think that would make mixing paints a real pain the @ss with that wide lip to contend with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back