Type XXI U-Boat U-2540

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DerAdlerIstGelandet

Private Chemtrail Disperser
Staff
Mod
Nov 8, 2004
USA/Germany
Last weekend while I was up at the North Sea, I made a stop in Bremerhaven, Germany to check out the Type XXI U-2540. It is now a museum ship, but unfortunately by the time I got up there, it was already closed.

Here is a bit of history on this U-Boat.

Type: Type XXI

Displacement: 1,621 tonnes standard
2,100 tonnes full load

Length: 76.7 m (251 ft 8 in)

Beam: 8 m (26 ft 3 in)

Draught: 5.3 m (17 ft 5 in)

Propulsion: Diesel/Electric
2× MAN M6V40/46KBB supercharged 6-cylinder diesel engines, 4,000 PS (2.9 MW)
2× SSW GU365/30 double acting electric motors, 5,000 PS (3.7 MW)
2× SSW GV232/28 silent running electric motors, 226 PS (0.166 MW)

Speed: Surfaced:
15.6 kn (28.9 km/h) (diesel)
17.9 kn (33.2 km/h) (electric)
Submerged:
17.2 kn (31.9 km/h) (electric)
6.1 kn (11.3 km/h) (silent running motors)

Range: Surfaced:
15,500 nmi (28,700 km) at 10 kn (19 km/h)
Submerged:
340 nmi (630 km) at 5 kn (9.3 km/h)

Complement: 57 officers and men

Armament: 6 × torpedo tubes
4 x 20 mm cannon

Construction of U-2540 began on 28 October 1944. She was launched on 13 January 1945 and commissioned on 24 February 1945 as part of U-Flotille 31 for training purposes. In April 1945 the boat went to the front after training at Rønne on Bornholm.

On 4 May 1945 she was scuttled near Flensburg, Germany.

In June of 1957, U-2540 was raised and rebuilt and overhauled. She was recommissioned as the Wilhelm Bauer into the new German Bundesmarine 1 Sept 1960. She was used as a research vessel until 28 August 1968.

In 1970 she again entered service a test bed to test equipment out for the new Type 206 U-Boats. After a collision with the Destroyer Z 3 on 6 May 1980, she was put out of service.

In 1984 she was turned into a Museum ship by the German Maritime Museum. It has been completely restored to its WW2 configuration.

Here are some pictures that I took.

u1.jpg

u2.jpg

u3.jpg

u4.jpg

u5.jpg

Too bad that it was closed. I visited it a few times.. (i live app. 40 km from Bremerhaven).. The boat is in a perfect restored condition. Somewhere i have some photos. If i find this little album i will show the pics here :)

The gun-turrets are dummy´s...

curious what is the charge to get in the Boot ? do they sell a brochure/booklet on this U-Boot ? thanks Chris for the pics, looked like a typical northern grey day and yes Hesekiel if you find the pics please add them on this thread.

E ~

Great photos. What a career that vessel had!

The charge for the museum and all museum ships is € 6,-- or if you want to visit only the ships it will cost € 1,-- You see.. it´s very cheap :D
Here you can see a little bit of the U-2540..
Category:Museum U-Boot Wilhelm Bauer â€" Wikimedia Commons

Sunday the 15.03. i will make a little trip to Berlin and visit the Air Force Museum at Gatow and maybe the "Technikmuseum" too...

I made a mistake with the charge.. The U-2540 will be € 3,-- for visiting.. Sorry for that

When I go back to Wilhemshaven to visit my wife in a few weeks (unless we meet up in Hamburg) I will go and visit the ship and take some pics inside.

I love the Technikmuseum in Berlin. I have been to it once.

Revell made a 1/144 scale model of the Wilhelm Bauer. It is kit number 05072. The model is how she looked while doing testing for the German Navy.

I have the kit, and someday, someday, I will get around to building it.

Bill G.

Imagine if it had come out in time to see more action in WWII...what a havoc it would have created!
The Allies were lucky!

Yep...Allies were VERY lucky in that respect. Hitler had some stuff that was light-years ahead of its time, and if they'd've come out two or three years earlier (and if Hitler had quit micromanaging), the world would probably be a much different place now. ME-262 and Henk's Ho229 are two that come to mind at the moment.

you want more on this big beast of a sub by Ww 2 standards ?

get : Eberhard Rössler's The U-Boat

also Schiffer pubs just might have a nice soft-back on the boot as well

E `

Yes.. The "Typ XXI" Boats are the "mother" of all following submarines..
As a sample.. The USS Nautilus (SSN-571) was in fact a Typ XXI Boat what was expanded at one section for the reactor. Some more modifications were done, but at all it was a XXI....

You can find a lot of very interesting informations here:
German Type XXI submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Nautilus was merely a copy of Kreigsmarine plans to develop a nuclear powered version of the Type XX1 in a project headed by Admiral Rhein and Admiral Witzell initially at Hamburg and later at Stettin.

Nothing novel in Nautilus. Russians used it as the basis for their Cold War diesel boats too.

beautiful boat. i'd love to go inside. i've been inside a few subs but U-2540 would be special... in service to 1970... wow.

I think it says a lot that it was under water for 12 years was raised and used again.

It that an old armed schooner in the background?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back