UK piggyback

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

johnbr

2nd Lieutenant
Jun 23, 2006
London Ontario Canada
Do's any one no more on this one.

Attachments

• _0027100kb.jpg
    _0027100kb.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 262
Not 100% sure, but I think it was part of the trials series to extend the range of a fighter for convoy protection, before the CAT ships came into service. It was based on experience with the Shorts 'Mayo/Mercury' flying boat combination but, AFAIK, didn't go beyond trials.

Looks like a photoshop job to me either that or the Hurricane is mounted all wonky. If it was a project to make a piggyback aircraft why would you use such a small carrier aircraft a Blenheim is pretty small.

A lousy attempt at injecting more performance into the Blenheim? Does look photoshopped, the Hurri is crooked; it doesn't line up with the Blenheim's centre line.

What happened to the Hurricane undercarriage?
Looks like the wooden slabs are holding the planes, despite the Hurricane 'trying' to make us believe the UC is downed - the black color under wing is way too black, when compared with the paled photo.

Good one! I have to admit, I was rather puzzeled about the pre-war colours on the Blenhiem, combined with the Hurricane scheme and markings. BUT, somewhere I have some info on the A&AEE trials of a similar concept. Whether it got to flying status, I don' know !

The British were contemplating (and built a few) "pick-a-back" combinations as far back as the 20's for various purposes, but there isn't any evidence that they actually built a composite aircraft setup during WWII.

That photo, while looking fairly legitimate, is fake...the shadow gives it away (only the shadow of the lower aircraft is present)

The British were contemplating (and built a few) "pick-a-back" combinations as far back as the 20's for various purposes, but there isn't any evidence that they actually built a composite aircraft setup during WWII.

That photo, while looking fairly legitimate, is fake...the shadow gives it away (only the shadow of the lower aircraft is present)

Well spotted Dave...I had missed that point
John

The British were contemplating (and built a few) "pick-a-back" combinations as far back as the 20's for various purposes

The Short/Mayo Composite springs to mind. This thread got me thinking; I had read of an idea that was never put into practise and I recently found it mentioned in a book I have. Short Bros collaborated with Hawker with the idea of mounting a Hurricane on the back of a Liberator as a means of countering the Fw 200 threat to convoys. At the time there were insufficient LB-30s available, so the idea never went any further.

Last edited:
Makes you wonder BS will be posted and taken for fact 20 years from now.

There's reference to a book about Hitler's survival after WW2 on another forum at the moment!

More on the British plan for a pick-a-back Hurricane. This from Frank Mason's Hawker Aircraft since 1920:

"In January 1941 discussions were held between Short Bros Ltd, the Ministry of Aircraft Production and the Hawker design staff on the mounting of a Hurricane atop a Liberator long range bomber as a means of providing fighter protection for these aircraft on Atlantic patrols. An equally unorthodox proposal resulted in the towing of a Hurricane behind a Wellington for the same purpose, this experiment being conducted by Flight Refuelling Ltd. However, severe icing inevitably prevented the Hurricane's engine from being started up when the moment to cast off arrived and this led to the abandonment of the scheme. Anticipation of similar trouble caused cancellation of the composite Liberator scheme."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back