Ukraine International Airlines PS752 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
To say the very very least. There was no rhyme or reason to it, proved nothing, accomplished nothing. Either deliberate or the grand-daddy of all screw-ups. At the commercial airport, hours after their missile strike, multiple civilian commercial flights in the air, ONE makes a turn towards a military base and the cretins launch two SAMs to blow it out of the sky. Oh yea, sounds reasonable, US military bombers ALWAYS take-off that way. They'll probably round up a group of untrained impressed country bumpkins, blame them, and do a quick head-lop. Just one of those whoopsies

Best theory I've heard is that the movie "Argo" finally made it to Iranian TV and they were so POed that they just had to shoot down an airliner loaded with Canadians, figuring they were all US spies.

NOT making light of ANYTHING related to this terrible and deliberate act (no matter what they say now). Personally what I (speaking for myself) am casting aspersions on the this so called theocratic government initially lying through its collective teeth THEN backtracking with a forked tongue: " WHOOPSE!! our Bad so sorry". So simply put I intended a barb toward any notion that governments are honest and have any intent other than their own self interest.

As to the use of Humor consider that at first thought Humor and tragedy together may seem an oxymoron but the reality of the human condition is that Humor and Tragedy are inextricably linked. We laugh at the comedian doing a Pratt-Fall. The potentially deadly violence of the Three Stooges. Today there are jokes on line about 9/11. In the words of Mark Twain: "Humor is tragedy plus time"
Erma Bombeck once said, "There is a thin line that separates laughter and pain, comedy and tragedy, humor and hurt."
Mel Brooks summed it up best: "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."

As to the use of Humor consider that at first thought Humor and tragedy together may seem an oxymoron but the reality of the human condition is that Humor and Tragedy are inextricably linked. . . . Erma Bombeck once said, "There is a thin line that separates laughter and pain, comedy and tragedy, humor and hurt."
Usually true.

Dictatorships work like we will protect you from the bad guys. So there is always an external threat so in the Iranian case that will be the Great Satan Good ol' US of A.

However oddly most dictatorships are instead the gravediggers of their own people not the saviours.

So when Iran shoots down an airliner and then tries to cover it up it says exactly what you need to know about Iran.

This could be the domino effect which could bring down the house of cards. Iran is to be busy shooting Iranians to bother with a war in which it will be stomped.

bad humor, and this is not one of them.
Apologies to all who took it in that light. My statements were directed towards anyone naive enough to believe, even for an instant that Iran could even begin to define HONESTY. NOT, NOT, in anyway shape or form towards the actual shoot down of that aircraft.

I would again reiterate that humor and tragedy do go hand in hand. After the 9/11 terrorist acts there were jokes about everything from creating a parking lot out of the Middle East to kicking Afghan puppies. One joke told of rumors that a large retail store was moving to Afghanistan: Target! Sick? Morbid? Indeed but nay-the-less a coping mechanism. The Onion on September 26, 2001 published a series of articles on the attack. Two of the most popular of their articles were: "God Angrily Clarifies 'Don't Kill' Rule." and "Highjackers Surprised to Find Selves in Hell -- Insist they were promised eternal paradise and 67 virgins!" Sick? or a type of humor that denigrates the enemy
Consider the sign by a bombed out, roofless store during the London Blitz: "More open for business than usual." If you can laugh at something it can't be so overwhelming.
Humor is individual, and everyone moves through a tragic event at a different speed. Some people need more time to process an event than others. These differences can cause conflicts especially when one person takes offense at another's humor.

Apologies to all who took it in that light. My statements were directed towards anyone naive enough to believe, even for an instant that Iran could even begin to define HONESTY. NOT, NOT, in anyway shape or form towards the actual shoot down of that aircraft.

I would again reiterate that humor and tragedy do go hand in hand. After the 9/11 terrorist acts there were jokes about everything from creating a parking lot out of the Middle East to kicking Afghan puppies. One joke told of rumors that a large retail store was moving to Afghanistan: Target! Sick? Morbid? Indeed but nay-the-less a coping mechanism. The Onion on September 26, 2001 published a series of articles on the attack. Two of the most popular of their articles were: "God Angrily Clarifies 'Don't Kill' Rule." and "Highjackers Surprised to Find Selves in Hell -- Insist they were promised eternal paradise and 67 virgins!" Sick? or a type of humor that denigrates the enemy
Consider the sign by a bombed out, roofless store during the London Blitz: "More open for business than usual." If you can laugh at something it can't be so overwhelming.
Humor is individual, and everyone moves through a tragic event at a different speed. Some people need more time to process an event than others. These differences can cause conflicts especially when one person takes offense at another's humor.

The fact that you think anyone was naive enough to think Iran was honest is rather insulting to our intelligence I think.

The BBC's report that the aircraft: Before it had left the airport's air space, the plane turned around and tried to return to the runway. Did give me, at least, a thought that just possibly a mechanical/electrical problem had occurred. The thought that missiles had been launched, and two at that, at a helpless commercial airline flight was difficult to comprehend and a few here speculated that it was an accidental missile launch. Buffnut also speculated that perhaps it was not deliberate. Then Zipper's "what were they going to say" post. To which I sarcastically replied "Yea and the check is in the mail" It never occurred to me that anyone could believe Iran capable of such open forthright honesty and that my comment would be taken in the manner intended. Toward ANYONE naive enough to believe the Iranians possessed such honesty.

So Chris et al, if you felt splattered by my paintbrush I would reply that: Someone can be offended without you having been offensive. Being offended is not an objective reality. There is no measuring stick of offense. Being offended is an internal response based on how a person interprets a situation. It's highly subjective.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back