US vs. China?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

carpenoctem1689

Airman 1st Class
Sep 10, 2005
Could the United states defeat china in a non-nuclear war. What are your estimated costs in lives, both civilian and military.

My opinion would be an enormous aerial battle over the pacific, Fighters engaged by the hundreds, not all at once of course. American naval power would take some serious blows from chinese sea-skimming missiles no doubt, but the relatively small chinese blue water navy would be crushed.

This is assuming it stays between america and china, include your views for that as well.

The land war would be difficult, with such a large expanse of water seperating the forces, so transport and logistics would be a bitch, because aircraft and subs and other vessels would no doubt hunt transports and economic ships. The chinese would probably attempt to bomb our east coast, but would fail miserably, because to my knowledge the only aircraft they have thats intercontinetal with a decent bomb load is the prop driven Tu-95 Bear. I dont see the US retaliating just yet against civilians, unless cruise missiles were used on us population centers...with no peace treaty involved, the war could go on and on

A huge battle right on my doorstep... they will use all the land they got right? I'm sure the US will be building its naval and air power in its allied countries in the Far East

part of the war will probably be fought right here in my home country

loomaluftwaffe said:
A huge battle right on my doorstep... they will use all the land they got right? I'm sure the US will be building its naval and air power in its allied countries in the Far East

part of the war will probably be fought right here in my home country

Ive always believed that the next war in Asia will be fought over the Spratley Islands.

capitulation, anihilation, or surrender...those ones

looma, I'm sure youre aware that the Spratleys are coveted for their potentially vast natural gas reserves.

Indonesia's Natuna gas field might just be the tip of whats out there.

I am going to go ahead and throw this out there. Yes.

2 reasons: Thousands of hours of Cruise Missles and bombing before the ground guys in. Would the war be brutal yes. The Chinese have a very large army but the main reason would be the fact that it is quite out dated and no matter how many tanks you have, if they are just T-55's they are going to get massacred by the air power and then the ground guys and what not.

Agreed upon this, Syscom. The US might have the ability to knock out centres of economical, political or military importance. The ability of China to make losses for the US too high to sustain a war will not be effected with means of conventional warfare and therefore they couldn´t win such a game.

carpenoctem1689 said:
Could the United states defeat china in a non-nuclear war. What are your estimated costs in lives, both civilian and military.

If a war was fought I think we would see a stalemate like what happened in Korea, in terms of casualties I think the americans would be put a the thousands and the chinese in the millions.

War with China could come from many reasons, most likely something to do with Taiwan or a snowballing Korean conflict. I guess if Japan and China went at it as well, not to mention all the other disputed territories around the area I imagine it would be fairly unlikely though as both countries make so much money off of each other that it would have to be something pretty big for either side to want to really jepordise that, at the moment China and the US pretty much rely on each other to keep each of their economies going. If the US stopped buying Chinas cheap junk then China loses it's income and if that happens then all the US stocks, currency and bonds China has been buying and holding (keeping the US dollar afloat) plumments in value taking the US dollar with it.

It would come down to economics and who had access to the most resources, perhaps the most important being oil and metals. A lot of stuff is made in China, but whether they have enough material to sustain a long term war is debateable. Then again the US is also not as abundant in resources or manufacturing as it once was, though it could probably call on more allies if the need arose.
The other critical factor for China is it's population, it's huge, and male dominated, however it's also ageing very rapidly(just about fastest in the world) thanks to their one child policy, unless this war happens soon, they wont have quite the massive amount of disposable manpower that many people think. Also consider that the US is one of the few western countries to have retained a positive population growth and a long term war of attrition isn't so obviously in Chinas favour.

A more interesting Scenario would perhaps be India vs China, a more even match, in fact I would probably back India. Or a bizarre, but fairly evenly matched one that someone mentioned was Australia vs Canada (god knows where they would fight though, Hawaii? :laugh:).

R988 said:
Or a bizarre, but fairly evenly matched one that someone mentioned was Australia vs Canada
Bizarre?! Talk about the understatement of the century! :lol:
Nah hell, we'd just bitch and argue about what was tougher, the moose or the kangaroo, we'd knock out a few of each others teeth, then we'd all get pissed on shitty beer and pass out to the off-key bellowing of Waltzing Matilda and the Hockey Song. :)

That'd be the way to fight a war! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back