Valkyrie movie - question about Junkers Ju-52 depicted

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

paradoxguy

Airman
Jan 2, 2009
Portland, OR
I was channel-surfing earlier this evening and watched a few minutes of the 2008 movie Valkyrie. In the movie, the Claus von Stauffenberg
character flies on what appears to be a Junkers Ju-52 transport aircraft, which appears authentic, including the tri-motor format. Do any Junkers Ju-52's still exist and, if so, was one of them used for Valkyrie? If not, does anyone know what aircraft was used to depict the Ju-52 in the film?

Thanks,
Ken

I was channel-surfing earlier this evening and watched a few minutes of the 2008 movie Valkyrie. In the movie, the Claus von Stauffenberg
character flies on what appears to be a Junkers Ju-52 transport aircraft, which appears authentic, including the tri-motor format. Do any Junkers Ju-52's still exist and, if so, was one of them used for Valkyrie? If not, does anyone know what aircraft was used to depict the Ju-52 in the film?

Thanks,
Ken

Quite a few of them exist. There are probably several dozen in museums and there are at least 6 that are still flying. In fact at an airshow I am going to next weekend, there will be 6 of them flying, and you can take sight seeing flights on them. I am hoping to get one for my Birthday. A flight that is...;)

As I see right now there are 8 that are still airworthy, and there are 15 that are in museums.

The film used two from Ju Air,resprayed at considerable expense. I'm not sure which ones were used.
Steve

I was more intrigued about the Bf 109s, they to are original and have the correct engines, until I watched the extras I was under the impression the only 109/109s? flying were the Spanish ones with the wrong engine fitted, nicknamed the 'Mule' if I am right. Valkerie is a very god film with an excellent degree of accuracy and detail.

DerAdlerIstGelandet it would be awesome to fly in one, I hope you enjoy yourself.

Thanks to DerAdlerIstGelandet and Steve for the Ju-52 information. I am frankly surprised so many of these aircraft remain and particularly that so many are airworthy. Admittedly my knowledge of the Ju-52 and transport aircraft in general is quite deficient. Given so many remain, I surmise many Ju-52's remained in service in several countries post-war. I've have always regarded the Ju-52 as a slow, ungainly, and frankly aesthetically lacking beast, but I presume it had considerable positivity that kept it in production to war's end and perhaps after. I surmise it was rugged and able to operate in adverse conditions and probably able to absorb a significant amount of damage and continue operating.

Thanks,
Ken

Quite a few of them exist. There are probably several dozen in museums and there are at least 6 that are still flying. In fact at an airshow I am going to next weekend, there will be 6 of them flying, and you can take sight seeing flights on them. I am hoping to get one for my Birthday. A flight that is...;)

As I see right now there are 8 that are still airworthy, and there are 15 that are in museums.

At least some of the JU 52s flying today are Spanish, licence-built CASAs, as were the Bf109s with the 'wrong' engine, mentioned earlier (the latter were CASA 1109 'Buchons' - pigeon - with RR Merlin engines). There are also a couple of genuine Junkers aircraft, including some ex- Swiss AF machines.

The Ju52 was widely used after the war. A colleague was involved in preserving one down in South Africa for example.
Cheers
Steve

DerAdler wrote:
I am hoping to get one for my Birthday. A flight that is...

Although a Ju 52 would be nice!!

They were giving rides in a Lancaster here in Calgary last year but I heard it was $4000 a person !!!!

Slaterat

I agree about Valkyrie being a good movie. it's one of my new favorite war films. they could have chosen a better Stauffenberg, though. God bless the German Resistance. the man who portrayed Adolf Hitler looked so much like the real man, it really frightened and intimidated me

Have you seen "Downfall" (Der Untergang)? Bruno Ganz,who is actually Swiss,plays Hitler brilliantly with what my German friends assure me is an authentic Austrian accent.
Well worth a watch.
Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
@ Stona - I spent some time on Johannesburg in the early 90's and an old Tante Ju used to chug over my house once a day doing sight-seeing tours. I think it was finally grounded due to fatigue, but it was wonderful to see the old corrugated iron bird trudging along at a snails pace...

I agree about Valkyrie being a good movie.

Well what is it they say about opinions?
Not wanting to hijack anything but here are my 2 pennies on this one.

Oh come on, be serious, it's really not.
It's awful.
Typical Hollywood shallow character-free rubbish.
The one thing it does have is a big effects budget so the effects look great.

If you want to see the July plot story told with accuracy, depth and believable characters you really want to try out the German Stauffenberg film, the 2004 movie directed by Jo Baier.
It lacks the effects budget but in every other substantive way it is by far the superior film shows Valkyrie for the bubblegum pap it really is, even if it isn't 'perfect'.

In the same way as Hollywood could never have done the outstanding Downfall (with even a hint of any true drama) so Stauffenberg beats all 7 shades out of Valkyrie.

As is so often the case in the Anglo-US world European cinema is often sadly over-looked or just simply unknown, try it, you might be very surprised.

Last edited:
It's awful.

Now you've said it I'll say I was thinking exactly that! I was trying to be polite and not upset the film's fans but what the hell,well said.

It took the German's until the nineteen eighties before they felt they could make movies about this era. They started with the best submarine movie ever made in Das Boot and have been consistently excellent ever since. The two films you mentioned above are good examples.
You must watch them in the original language and suffer sub titles. My schoolboy German isn't up to watching without the subs but I wouldn't watch them any other way.
Cheers
Steve

I was more intrigued about the Bf 109s, they to are original and have the correct engines, until I watched the extras I was under the impression the only 109/109s? flying were the Spanish ones with the wrong engine fitted, nicknamed the 'Mule' if I am right. Valkerie is a very god film with an excellent degree of accuracy and detail.

DerAdlerIstGelandet it would be awesome to fly in one, I hope you enjoy yourself.

There are actually a few flying original 109s. I got to see a G-4 with original engine fly back in 2009 at an airshow here in Germany. This weekend I will get to see her again fly together with a reproduction 262.

Thanks to DerAdlerIstGelandet and Steve for the Ju-52 information. I am frankly surprised so many of these aircraft remain and particularly that so many are airworthy. Admittedly my knowledge of the Ju-52 and transport aircraft in general is quite deficient. Given so many remain, I surmise many Ju-52's remained in service in several countries post-war. I've have always regarded the Ju-52 as a slow, ungainly, and frankly aesthetically lacking beast, but I presume it had considerable positivity that kept it in production to war's end and perhaps after. I surmise it was rugged and able to operate in adverse conditions and probably able to absorb a significant amount of damage and continue operating.

Thanks,
Ken

Ju 52's were produced in France until 1947 and in Spain until 1952.

Portugal used the Ju 52 into the 1960s. The last military combat parachute drop from a Ju 52 was by the Portugese Airforce in Angola in 1956. It was however still used on military operations into the 1960s.

The Swiss Airforce used it until 1982.

The French Airforce retired their Ju 52's into the 1950s.

The Spanish Airforce used their Ju 52's well into the 1970s.

DerAdler wrote:

Although a Ju 52 would be nice!!

They were giving rides in a Lancaster here in Calgary last year but I heard it was $4000 a person !!!!

Slaterat

They want 200 Euro for a 40 minute flight. My Birthday is coming up...;)

Have you seen "Downfall" (Der Untergang)? Bruno Ganz,who is actually Swiss,plays Hitler brilliantly with what my German friends assure me is an authentic Austrian accent.
Well worth a watch.
Cheers
Steve

That movie is amazing. I had to buy it when it came out. I think Bruno did an amazing job of portraying Hitler and it was very very frightening. In my opinion the best portrayal of him. People on the set said, when he walked into the room everyone went quiet.

Well what is it they say about opinions?
Not wanting to hijack anything but here are my 2 pennies on this one.

It's awful.
The one thing it does have is a big effects budget so the effects look great.

If you want to see the July plot story told with accuracy, depth and believable characters you really want to try out the German Stauffenberg film, the 2004 movie directed by Jo Baier.
It lacks the effects budget but in every other substantive way it is by far the superior film shows Valkyrie for the bubblegum pap it really is, even if it isn't 'perfect'.

In the same way as Hollywood could never have done the outstanding Downfall (with even a hint of any true drama) so Stauffenberg beats all 7 shades out of Valkyrie.

As is so often the case in the Anglo-US world European cinema is often sadly over-looked or just simply unknown, try it, you might be very surprised.

Actually I agree completely. I think it was a terrible movie.

Last edited:
I don't know where you got awful from? :)

Having never seen Stauffenberg I can't comment but I will watch it and will probably enjoy it from what has been said. Valkerie is a good film, as a Hollywood film it was intended for a wider audiance than Stauffenberg. I am very picky about 'my' films and could't find any faults with Valkerie. The film doesn't go into depth with regards to the characters not even with von Stauffenberg, which is good because its a film not a biography.

Crimea_River both fighters are 109s, I love the detail they went in to making this film.

A question for everyone; when the officers are at the Reich War Ministry why are their ribbons removed? I assume, rightly or wrongly, that it was so that they wouldn't detract from the rank ie a general with one ribbon and a Colonel with many. I have tried the net but couldn't find anything that helped.

Oh yeah and I agree that Das Boot is "the best submarine movie ever made", Das Boot is one of the most realistic war films ever in my opinion.

Last edited:
I don't know where you got awful from?

We all like what we like your choices are just as valid as anyones.....and it would be a very boring world if we all thought the same thing.

All I will say is seek out Stauffenberg give it a watch.
The difference between it the Tom Cruise vehicle will, I think you'll find, be very stark.

Not to over-egg it but I think you'll find it similar to Das Boot Downfall which have been, for many, strikingly different and outstanding cinema on the subject to almost anything else they saw beforehand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back