Veteran's autographs (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

RabidAlien

1st Lieutenant
Apr 27, 2008
Hurst, Texas
I was up at an air museum in Addison this past weekend (I'll get pics up, I promise!), admiring the planes, checking out the new A-26 addition to the family, talking to vets, and talking to volunteer staff. One of the staff suggested I sign up as a volunteer, which I would love to do, I just don't think I'll have the time with a new kiddo and current volunteering at the church. But that's another thread..."How to Spread Yourself Too Thin". :lol: Anyway...this same guy mentioned getting to meet alot of vets from different branches/different wars, and that he had an autograph book, that he liked to get signatures from the vets. Here's my delimma: on the one hand, it would be awesomely cool to have a sorta yearbook-style notebook to carry around and get vets to autograph, with name/branch/etc....on the other hand, would that be considered uncool or or somehow insulting? Has anyone else done anything like this, with a book dedicated to their siggys, vs. the signature of opportunity, where you happened to have a pic of the type of plane they flew (etc) and had them sign it?

In a very limited way I have done that.

The first was getting a Battle of Britain Hurricane Ace to autograph a book I have on Hurricanes.

The second was getting eight members of the Doolittle Raiders to autograph several books in 2006. And I got a couple of authors and Doolittle's son and grandson.

I would have to say don't be affraid to ask. Just be very nice if the answer is no.

I have wished I had several vets that have now died to autograph books that related to what they did.

Bill G.

I always ask if I can shake their hand...just didn't know the "appropriateness" of asking for an autograph. 'Course, I don't wanna look back and kick myself, either.

RA, that's a heck of a dilemna!

I know how cool it is to be among the vets, and so it's really tempting.

Perhaps an alternative would be to find a schedule of events where they might be gathering for occasions, and make a point to be there.

I've had tons of opportunities to get autographs from vets over the years, but I get so occupied listening to them share thier experiences, that I totally forget. I suppose I never ask, or think of it at the time, because I grew up in a family of vets. From Dad to Uncles, Grandfathers, Greatgrandfathers and so on all the way back...plus all thier friends and all... :lol:

I'd make a good looking, semi-large scrapbook with a decent to pro quality of photographs for the guys to sign.
That way they can see that one's a somewhat serious admirer, and it doesn't seem like one has done a half-a$$ed job of putting the book together - and it's worth keeping and displaying, if it looks good. ;)

And in case of an emergency autograph opportunity, always carry a good notepad and a pen on you - you never know who you're going to run into at a museum or at an airshow - or whatever. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back