What Annoyed You Today? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kia boys broke into our car last night and tried to steal it. Little b******* couldn't get it started. Ripped wires and cover off of steering wheel. We have to get towed for repairs. Getting a rental to finish off last two days of school. Thank God we have insurance. Little pinches!

Kia boys broke into our car last night and tried to steal it. Little b******* couldn't get it started. Ripped wires and cover off of steering wheel. We have to get towed for repairs. Getting a rental to finish off last two days of school. Thank God we have insurance. Little pinches!
I had that trouble with my 1984 Olds Toronado. The big doors made it easy to pull the frameless window out far enough to reach in and unlock the door. Then they broke the steering wheel cover off and snapped the steering wheel lock. And off they went. Bogged it in a construction site. Then a few years later I came home from AT to discover that someone had tried again. Only problem was the battery had gone dead in my absence. So they totally trashed the interior, slashed the tires in frustration/revenge? It wasn't worth fixing, I only had liability on it, so I just had it towed to the junkyard.

Friend had his Ford hatchback (Laser) taken one night from his business. Found bogged on a track so his employee
went out with a car trailer to pick it up.

The people who stole it were obviously not car experts. Wood and rocks had been pushed under the wheels to try to
get some traction and there was a lot used so they must have been there for a long time trying to get the car out. Best
part was the wood and rocks had been jammed in and around the rear wheels and as with most hatchbacks this one
was front wheel drive. They would have walked away covered in mud.

One good way to limit the chances of your vehicle being stolen is to have an auto electrician cut into the wire that supplies power to the fuel pump and run an extension to a latching* switch in a "hidden" location. Having something like a fog light switch on your panel when you do not have fog lights fitted is one way to hide the switch. When the thief steals the car and does not press the switch the car runs out of fuel after a short while. Works well also for if you are car jacked so long as you turn the engine off before exiting the seat and running like hell to the rear. Car takes off in a rush then stops and thief runs away while you slowly walk back and recover it.

* A latching switch is one that stays on when selected but automatically shuts off when the ignition is turned off.

According to a recent news item the way thieves are breaking into many cars lately is to cut a hole in the plastic trim inside the front wheel well, pull out the headlight wiring and connect it to a unit that gives them total access to your vehicles computers.

In the UK, the latest car theft "gimmick" is to use a "loop" outside the doors/windows of a house, to access and decode any "smart" technology from keys inside the house, thereby allowing the thief to access and drive the car.
My Nissan X-Trail has a "smart" key, and keyless ignition, which is actually a pain for me, due to my stiff hands, so I use the fob to open the car etc, but the fold-out key in the ignition, which still allows the alarm, immobiliser etc to work.
Most of my vehicles have been fitted with a battery cut-out switch, as per rally / race cars. Switch off, remove the battery cut-off key, and there's no way the engine, or any other system, can be started / activated, even by "hot wiring".
Simple, effective and cheap - and beyond the comprehension of the average car thief or joy rider.

That is a good fix and much simpler.

The copying of smart keys has been a problem for some time and some people put their keys in a Faraday box to prevent that. I don't because I live in the country and have a couple of large dogs that are very aggressive to any one they have not been introduced to if we are inside the house or away.

The police dept said the Kia boys are a real problem and they are too short staffed. They said go online, file it, and they will look at it when they have time.

My idea of parking a bait car in a high car-theft area that is set up to deter car thieves wasn't a hit with the local PD when I proposed the idea.

I suppose replacing the steering wheel airbag with a Claymore and having it detonate 10 seconds after the engine was started without a key, was the deal breaker...

My idea of parking a bait car in a high car-theft area that is set up to deter car thieves wasn't a hit with the local PD when I proposed the idea.

I suppose replacing the steering wheel airbag with a Claymore and having it detonate 10 seconds after the engine was started without a key, was the deal breaker...
You are very close to my proposal to ensure safe driving- mount a 12 ga shotgun shell in a car's steering wheel hub. :rolleyes:

Yeah they probably didn't like the idea of being able to start it without a key - too easy - someone might steal it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back