What Annoyed You Today? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That sounds like you truely live in the outback

That sounds like you truely live in the outback
The outback is where you live 1200km from the nearest town which has one building and .5 people (average). Instead of a butcher
you carry a shotty for fresh meat (tourists take note). Every few years a flood will create a large swimming pool for you and for the rest
of the time a lawnmower is not needed. Bread when delivered is dual purpose. If it's still soft enough you can eat it, otherwise you use
it for retaining walls when the swimming pool eventually appears.

People in general do not realise that the largest farm in Aus is Anna Creek at 2,428,111 hectares (around 6.25 million acres) which is larger than many countries.

Australia's 10 biggest cattle stations alone cover 15 million ha of land (half the size of Texas), grow about 350,000 head of cattle and employ around 200 people total.

That is the real outback. I just live in a moderately populated non urban area where you do not know if the neighbours are having a bbq or a fight because you cannot see or hear them.

Where I am most towns are only 50km apart though the next town north of my nearest town is 93km away. Not even a fuel station in between and this is on the main highway north from Brisbane.

Australia is Texas on steroids or Alaska on growth hormones.

Last edited:
Or you travel a road, a long lonely road like across the Hay Plain a vast expanse of flat land and saltbush that is counted as the third flattest places on earth. No fuels stops, no cafe's, no motels and yet at the right time of the year you will see it covered in cotton bushes and the fluff fills the air at harvest time.

We rolled in to Hay at erm 2pm. Not Anywher to eat. The only car on a side street had been destroyed by a Roo on the hwy. About 8pm, not a parking space to be had. Streets filled with Tues, pubs packed with cowboys!!! Interesting place about 20 years ago.

I had taught my last daughter some basic unarmed combat to ward off bullies. One day she was relating what happened at school, I commented, "I thought I taught you what to do about that." Her response was, "I know Dad, but it's just like football. They always catch the second one."

I remember working with a fellow retired army guy. He was AGR, I was USAR. Turns out we had a lot of mutual acquaintances. We were trading war stories and dad stories. One of the women in our group piped up one day.
"Do you guys go to Dad School? My Dad gave me the same advice when I was growing up."
Yes. Yes we do. We learned from our dads.
The biggest problem in society today is the number of kids growing up without dads. How can you learn if there is no Dad School?

Nowdays, they both get suspended, even if one is bullied. In my fourth grade days (1949) there was a kid who at recess loved to run full speed at someone from the rear and knock him down. Like you, I was taught not to start a fight. My father would expect me to fight back, however my mother was one of those who claimed fighting never solved anything. One day out in the school yard, keeping my eye on the big bruiser, I saw him begin a run on me. I timed it so that as he would have hit me, I dropped to a squat. Over he went and when he came back, he got a fist to the face. Out popped a tooth and the big weenie ran off crying. The next day he ran up to me facing me, and stuck out his hand. Carefully shaking hands, I learned I had saved his family money as he was scheduled for the dentist to have that tooth out. You are correct. He stopped hitting any fellow students after that.

Had a problem with a fellow student when I was in junior high. Culminated in me picking up a chair in band class and royally beating the pulp out of him. Band chairs were the old green and salmon metal and plastic ones....darn sturdy ones too. Got done, walked out of class and down to the assistant principal's office and sat down. He and his secretary came over to me and asked what I was doing there instead of being in class. My answer was that I'd just beat the crap out of Randy B. in band class and his phone was probably going to ring in a moment about it. Phone rang, longer conversation, my parents called and more talk. Sum total of my school punishment was an admonition to not do anything like that again. Funny thing, is that by the first part of school the next year, Randy and I were pretty good friends and stayed that way all thru high school.

The saga continues. One of the owners came out today to "finalize" the work and have us accept the job as complete.
A brief tour around the house put an end to that talk. My sharp eyed wife pointed out all the spots they'd missed or damaged, the paint slopped all over the brand new roof, etc. It's awfully late on the year to respray, but they can at least clean up the paint slop, fix the trim in the cellar well, and replace the door they wrecked, not just patch it.
I'm told they fired our crew. OK. Now send in your A squad to fix this mess.

Users who are viewing this thread