What Annoyed You Today? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What annoys me?

People being annoyed about being called out for obviously breaking forum rules. Marcel did nothing wrong. There is no need to make a mods job difficult, we are all adults and we also know the forum rules and agree to abide by them of our own free will.

There are plenty of other places people can get their partisan fix. I think most people here (I also base this on the IMs I get from members from both political leanings) are glad we don't allow this type of discussion.

The Jumping Rat airline has been taken to court by the corporate regulator for selling tickets on flights that have already been cancelled. Given the ACC is widely considered a toothless tiger because they only go to court a few times a year you can usually expect that they have a fairly solid case.

The ACCC alleges that Qantas cancelled certain flights that were scheduled to depart within May 1, 2022 to July 31 2022, and that the airline kept selling tickets on its website for an average of more than two weeks, and in some cases for up to 47 days, after the cancellation of the flights. These are the 8,000 ghost flights it refers to. The consumer watchdog also alleges that for more than 10,000 flights scheduled to depart in May to July 2022, Qantas did not notify existing ticketholders that their flights had been cancelled for an average of about 18 days, and in some cases for up to 48 days.

More than 8,000 flights in 90 days is around cancellations 90 per day. I can see other operators giving testimony that such behaviour is bad customer relations and that all cancelled flights should be out of the SALES system within hours

Of course this is the same airline that was taken to task a few years back for accepting bookings on flight x and the passengers arriving at the airport and being told that you are wrong you were booked on flight y - which in some cases had already departed. That load of bulldust fell apart when smart customers started taking screen shots of every single stage of their booking process and went public.

If you read the article ('Qantas can't guarantee flights', airline says as it launches defence in ACCC 'ghost flights' case) you will see that Skippy says that all customers on cancelled flights were offered an alternative flight or refund and that there was no "fee for no service".

This is the same airline that was holding $800plus million in credits for cancelled flights until recently and had the brass to tell a senate enquiry that if people did not use these credits within the next few weeks then the company was going to keep the money. Most victims could not use their credits because of the way the company had structured the use of them. Days after that blew up in their faces the company announced that all credits would be refunded and the CEO resigned with a multi million dollar severance package.

There are obviously problems with the promised refunds as Law firm Echo Law is now running a separate court case against Qantas. The firm has launched a class action seeking refunds and compensation for customers who had their flights cancelled during 2020. It alleges that Qantas had misled customers about their refund options, withheld funds, and engaged in a "pattern of unconscionable conduct".

I think I can smell some perjury charges in the wind from today's testimony if the press have reported correctly.

On top of that they were caught out earlier this year falsifying their annual report to the Civil Aviation Safety Authority by claiming they had less than 5,000 cancellations last year instead of over 16,100 cancellations.

Last edited:
Yesterday I was bitching about Qantas and its long term refusal, partly fixed, of ripping customers off by making refunds impossible to access.

Today it turns out Virgin are almost as bad although there are a number of other factors involved in this particular story.

Inside Aus you have three choices, Qantas, Qantas's wholly owned subsidiary Jetstar, and Virgin. That is the total of national carriers although there are small number of regional airlines that service limited areas.

I just had to laugh at the audacity of Qantas when I read the article yesterday and my feeling and hope is that it will just get chucked out of court. We had cancelled flights and money locked up with them but eventually after much hassle particularly with the web site we got the money allocated to flights which as is the tradition of Qantas, the flight times were changed a couple of times before being cancelled. We were offered alternatives which we had to adjust our arrangements and schedule to work around this but in the end we got to where we wanted to go and got back again. However when we decided to go south to Melbourne recently, we took the train both ways as for the two of us it was quarter the cost of a return flight.

To an unrelated subject, how you going with the fires as I read that south of Bundaberg is under a warning and I believe you are somewhere around that area.

Thanks Vic

Yes there are fires to the south of Bundy that have the potential to get out of control but they are just inland of Woodgate Beach where the firies are nearly all in their 70s and 80s. CNN did a great story on them a couple of years back. Our local brigade is all young fellas - 60++.

We are roughly 80km due WSW of Bundy and so far doing Ok. Our new "city slicker" environmentalist neighbour is major a worry though as he will not do any fire mitigation like cutting the grass short and and trailering it to the tip (or even sending to the tip over time with every weeks rubbish collection) to prevent fires getting hot enough to set the trees alight.

Everything our side of the fence line was cut to 60mm six months back and we have had no rain since. I rake all the leaves and collect them every couple of weeks along the fence line so we should be okay.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread