What Annoyed You Today? (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In my 43.5 years with IBM I worked a ton of ot, holidays etc. I also was told early on never to count on ot because you never know when it will dry up, don't live your lifestyle around it

Yeap, agreed, 100%. Unfortunately, though, so many require OT to live a standard life. Its sad, but true.

For me its about opportunity cost. Livijg at work, means lost time with kids and family. Time you cannot get back.

Interesting re overtime as in Australia OT is very expensive for employers. Time and half to double time costs.

I am not sure but I think the system in the US is different - maybe re tax ? Would appreciate clarification for
interest sake.

In my 43.5 years with IBM I worked a ton of ot, holidays etc. I also was told early on never to count on ot because you never know when it will dry up, don't live your lifestyle around it
Yeah. This is where I am at. At 59 I'm looking down the road to retirement, but have been living paycheck to paycheck for 30+ years. I've got a ton of debt, too.

Interesting re overtime as in Australia OT is very expensive for employers. Time and half to double time costs.

I am not sure but I think the system in the US is different - maybe re tax ? Would appreciate clarification for
interest sake.
Over 8 hours in a day, it goes to time and a half. On our contract over 8 and then time and a half til 11 hours, when it goes to double time til you clock out. Saturday is time and a half til 11 hours and anything beyond that is double time. Sunday is all double time.

One contract that I worked under had even better pay rates. After 8 hours it was time and a half, plus a flat payment for a second meal. After 11 hours, it was double time, plus a third meal. If you got off less than 4 hours before your next scheduled in time, that 4 hours was double time. Work past your 7th day without a day off, you went into golden time....Everything was 2x normal rate. If you worked golden time on a holiday, you were killing it as you got 6x normal pay for the day. I had one week where I really did good. Because of scheduling, crew call and show times, I ended up going on the clock on Monday morning at 6 am and didn't get off the clock til Tuesday at 9 pm....Forgot how many hours I got paid for, but it made a killer a check.

We had some other pay goodies there. Work an upgraded position for 4 hours and 1 minute, you got the upgrade in pay for the day. Work the upgrade for 20 hours and 1 minute in the week and you had it for the week. Work it for 80 hours and 1 minute in the month and you got it for the entire month.

It depends on company and contract. I'm salaried and do not work an hourly wage, however, my company still figured out what my hourly wage would be if I was not salaried. If I work over 40 hours they tack on an additional $6 to what that hourly wage would be for every hour over 40 hours.

Was at Eastman Kodak 30 years. OT was time & 1/2, double time holidays and weekends. When I got called out at 2 or 3 in the morning, It was time & 1/2 until 4 hours then double time. We were also allowed comp time off the next day, however no one caught your calls, which could leave one very behind. It was best to go in at the regular time.
Those of my father's age, I'm 83 now, considered if you had a job, it was kept no matter the difficulty. The depression caused that mentality. My supervisors and many I worked with thought the same and gave me "advice" about holding on to my job. My manager, depression era, was distressed with my comment on our annual eval form. In response to the new program of resource development question of, "What is your long term goal with Kodak?" I wrote, "To reach early retirement age in good health".
I did, and I am building models as I did when in my teens.

Thanks gents. Flexibility seems to be the key. We have a lot of rules and regs which in some ways can
stop employers from offering different options.

At the Pentagon I walked to the Metro Station at about 0620, got to work about 0700, and on an average day left for home at about 1900 and got home about 1930. If I had security check I usually would not get home until about 2100, just enough time to take a shower, eat an oatmeal cookie, and go to bed.

Weekend work was not common but did occur; you have not truly had fun until you've gone into the Pentagon on a Saturday morning to explain nuclear rocket engine design principles to a 3 star fighter pilot.

Users who are viewing this thread

• at6
Back