What Annoyed You Today?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not enough work
I heard that UPS is or has laid off something like 12,500 workers because shipping is down and was before Christmas as well. Aside from the increase in the price of everything the cost to ship has really gone up.

I was talking to a friend about buying some Lexan sheet. He said the price had gone up a great deal. I checked and while it did not appear to be as much as he had said, it is up a lot. last time I bought a 4X8 sheet it was about $80 and I picked it up at the distributor myself. Checked Home Depot prices and it is over $200. The thinner 0.060 stuff I was buying might be even higher; I don't know.

I set the British Steel staff overtime record in 1982, Monday to Friday 16 hour shifts (8 at time x 1.5) Saturday 12 hours at time x 1.5. Sunday 6 hours at time x 2, this was over winter for 3 months to pay for racing in the summer, then I met some woman in a bar who is still my wife and that was the end of that OT nonsense.

I don't miss the days of working OT. Did a lot when I was an aircraft mechanic. Its the only way the person making sure the aircraft are safe to fly can sustain a living. Work so many hours you don't have time to live.
In Saudi Arabia and many places I worked my standard working week was 6 days of 12 hours. The guys who were on government contracts worked 5 days of 8 hours and not only got paid less (obviously) they went stir crazy, there is nothing to do there, complete sensory depravation.

In Saudi Arabia and many places I worked my standard working week was 6 days of 12 hours. The guys who were on government contracts worked 5 days of 8 hours and not only got paid less (obviously) they went stir crazy, there is nothing to do there, complete sensory depravation.

Yeah contractors can make good money. I was working at an FOB on King Airs. OT was a never ending story at a very marginal wage.

Yeah contractors can make good money. I was working at an FOB on King Airs. OT was a never ending story at a very marginal wage.
Oh the money wasnt great, just better than having no OT but any time off more than a day per week just killed me. I met a colleague from Liverpool in Bahrein as I was going back to KSA, he was leaving end of contract after 3 years. As you do, I asked him what he would do next. "One thing for certain, I wont have an ffffing barbecue for as long as I live". The place can even make you hate barbecues,

I worker for almost 8 years in Saudi, initially 2 years in Dhahran and the rest in Tabuk. Never has a single boring moment and working shift gave us plenty of OT an top of a good wage. We would get one day a week off and drive to the coast or if possible extend that to two days and camp out at the coast. It was a quiet little bay we found which was good for cray fish and with a couple bottles of vimto (home brew) it was a good couple of days. Needless to say, back on base...........................well I had a bar! :thumbright: :D

It actually ended with Y2K.
An old friend of mine, a computer expert, insisted that Y2K was THE END of our civilization and urged everyone to get ready for it. The USPS offices had a countdown clock going, advertising the time left to get the end of the century stamps, and he insisted that was a Hidden Message warning of THE END. Y2K dawned and the only impact I could detect was that the TV Guide website showed the TV listings for 1 Jan 1900 (but on the other hand it was accurate; it seems there was not much on back then).

My friend's response to that massive cognitive dissonance was that THE END actually happened but was covered up by the Mainstream Media.

We don't talk any more.

THE END actually happened but was covered up by the Mainstream Media.
using the non-functional mass media, like television and radio?
Yep, I often confuse flyers and printed sheets from these
32_044_151006_Y1989_2_Hand_operated_printing_press.jpg

With television and computer screens o_O

I don't miss the days of working OT. Did a lot when I was an aircraft mechanic. Its the only way the person making sure the aircraft are safe to fly can sustain a living. Work so many hours you don't have time to live.
My step-father was an aircraft mechanic and shop manager and his philosophy was that you lived to work. Life could get rough when I went to work in the parts department under his management. Day and night working inventory.

My step-father was an aircraft mechanic and shop manager and his philosophy was that you lived to work. Life could get rough when I went to work in the parts department under his management. Day and night working inventory.

Yeap, I used to have that philosophy but after busting my knuckles for 15 years my philosophy changed too. It went from living to work to working to live.

I used to think I needed to love my job (and I loved working on aircraft), and then I realized I needed a job that allowed me to have the life that I love. Having kids only increased that philosophy. Thats why I am a big proponent of work-life balance. I still work my butt off, and work hard, but my life is not dedicated to being at work all my life anymore.

Seeing all the old mechanics too, close to retirement , influenced me a lot as well. After working on aircraft for 40 to 50 years their bodies were literally falling apart. Knees, backs, hands, etc. I already have knee issues and arthritis. I started thinking about what quality of life I wanted in retirement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back