What Cheered You Up Today? (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi, I had a bit of a tough time at work today but found something in the post to finish off a project when I came home.....

An ex-RAF engineer friend who spent over 20 years on Harriers sent me some more things a couple of weeks ago.

One was a very nice 1 Squadron tankard from when he left 1 Squadron in 1985:

1Squadrontankardwithhelmet_zpsbf1888b8.jpg

Inside the tankard was a well used Group Captain's pennant.....

2f454c52-6f14-4fce-a93d-84baf92f5d73_zps06d6834c.jpg

I knew my friend would have a good story to go with this and asked him where he managed to pick it up, here's his reply:

"It's the Station Commanders Pennant (Group Captain) 'liberated' from RAF Wittering circa 1977 - I was on detachment with 4 Sqn from RAF Gutersloh - we were coming back from a night out in Stamford ;)"

The pennant was a bit big (and well used) for my wall but I found a 1" deep, 8 x 10 frame to fold the pennant in and had a nameplate made up (arrived in the post), then finished it off today........

FramedWitteringpennant_zpsf0ea6f49.jpg

What do you guys think?

cheers,

-John

Last edited:
Nice! I like the helmet too. I'm slowly getting a small collection together myself, but keep missing out on a 'H' Type oxygen mask to go with my FAA Type C white leather helmet, and a Mk1 bonedome - darned things used to be cheap as chips, and now they're silly money!

Nice! I like the helmet too. I'm slowly getting a small collection together myself, but keep missing out on a 'H' Type oxygen mask to go with my FAA Type C white leather helmet, and a Mk1 bonedome - darned things used to be cheap as chips, and now they're silly money!

Hi Airframes,

your right about the price of 'H's, only a couple of years ago you could get an unused one for about $50, I'm lucky; being a Harrier nut I only wanted a mid 80s Mk3C and Q type mask to go with my other Harrier related things, hope you get a mask soon!

cheers,

-John

Daft thing is, I think there may be one with the stuff 'rescued' from my father's house, which I've had since I was a kid in the early 1960's. There was a place opposite my school at the time, where they were disposing of masks, Mae Wests and 'K' Type dinghies, all unused, but past the then 'half life' date, so, as happened in those days, they were scrapped. The chap in charge said to me and my mate "Help yourself boys - it'll save me burning them!".
I also had a serviceable 'H' Type mask, used (for the mic) with my 'G' Type helmet when I used to fly - but no idea where that's gone, probably still packed in a box at the ex-wife's place!

I get a lot of my kits as presents from my wife too, although she is usually more surprised at what they are when I unwrap them than I am. As a mater of fact I have I few of them I waiting for me to put Christmas wrapping on right now. :lol:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back