What Cheered You Up Today? (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A small bit from life history. I was a high school senior 1958-59. Due to electives, I needed English in senior year to graduate, and found the class with about 75% goofoffs also needing English to graduate, with the remainder in my situation. Due to student crowding, a new class room and teacher had been added mid year. Two guys in the class, Jim & Fred, who ran together were Fonzie types and they would not graduate without this class as their grade points for the year was in the 50s. The new teacher was a phys ed major in the local college and he told us the class policy:
"The material I present each day will be for 20 minutes. There will be no questions asked me or answered. The remainder of the hour you may use as you see fit. You may discuss the material among yourselves, but quietly. You will not approach my desk or ask questions as I will be studying my college courses."
The three girls in the class were not accustomed to no interaction with a teacher. The amazing thing was Jim and Fred excelled, actually learning and turning themes. By graduation time, their English grades were high 80s and enough to graduate. I learned from this, that students who ask questions and break the flow of the teacher's material cause those who get it to drift off and miss the next points. I think your student needs your class structure and authority to learn. Just as Chris' son proved by going to private school. No boredom, just learning.

Have to be careful about the level of interaction. I had a Calculus teacher with a very heavy German accent, that wrote on the overhead screen with one hand and cranked the acetate roll with the other at the same time. I don't know how many times he had to stop and roll back as much as 10 feet to give students a chance to even finish writing equations. It was no wonder why his students had a 60% or larger failure rate. After a few semesters of this, the head of the math department took his acetate roll system away and forbid using it. Even that didn't help. He finally left to teach in some PhD program where he didn't have to deal with anything but PhD students.

Last night went to a tribute show - Eagles and CCR.
The Eagles lead singer was great but the rest of the band looked bored and there was something lacking.
The same lineup with a different lead singer as CCR went straight in to infectious upbeat foot tapping music and totally made the night. During the encores the Eagles lead also went upbeat so the finish was great.

Live shows are like rocking horse droppings here 400+km from the big smoke - only half a dozen a year so I try to get to most.

Ccr is under rated. Great band.

Users who are viewing this thread