What do you do for a living?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

RETIRED! I worked 29 years as an Avionics Controls and Displays engineer for Northrop Grumman. Started with the duel fuel flow indicator for the Saudi F-5E, worked on the F-18L (Northrop land based F-18, went nowhere), moved over to my first black program, the Tacit Blue upside down bathtub (reminded me of the submarine Seaview, anybody remember that from TV). It was one of the first stealth aircraft. Then I got my big break by being transfered to the B-2 program for the proposal phase, which, without a doubt, was one of the most exciting projects an engineer could work on. I worked as the design manager for the B-2 avionics controls and display for most of the rest of my career, ending up working on the upgrade to the JointSTARs radar surveillance aircraft (which kept me in the LA area).

Retirement is great. One Saturday after another! You can put off till tomorrow what you don't want to do today!

RETIRED! I worked 29 years as an Avionics Controls and Displays engineer for Northrop Grumman. Started with the duel fuel flow indicator for the Saudi F-5E, worked on the F-18L (Northrop land based F-18, went nowhere), moved over to my first black program, the Tacit Blue upside down bathtub (reminded me of the submarine Seaview, anybody remember that from TV). It was one of the first stealth aircraft. Then I got my big break by being transfered to the B-2 program for the proposal phase, which, without a doubt, was one of the most exciting projects an engineer could work on. I worked as the design manager for the B-2 avionics controls and display for most of the rest of my career, ending up working on the upgrade to the JointSTARs radar surveillance aircraft (which kept me in the LA area).

Retirement is great. One Saturday after another! You can put off till tomorrow what you don't want to do today!

Congrats - I can't wait till one day I can say I'm retired!

Tacit Blue, huh. I bet that was fascinating actually. Especially if you work flight controls to make that thing fly.

Tacit Blue, huh. I bet that was fascinating actually. Especially if you work flight controls to make that thing fly.

I was doing the Avionics Controls and Displays (cockpit instrumentation), but, as such, I did had the air data computer and therefore got involved in doing some air data mapping of the airframe, which was interesting and quite informative. Air data sensors, including flight control sensors, were also affected by stealth concerns. With computers, the flight control people could make a brick fly like a Cessna if you had the power to get it off the ground. Except for the flight controls (at Norhtrop, flight controls were not considered avionics), most of the avionics was F-5E type.

Tacit Blue was nowhere near as fasinating and exciting as the B-2. I wrote a letter to the editor once to comment on an Aviation Week and Space Technology article on the B-2 cockpit. It had to be approved by Congress in order to send it. It was approved and was printed.

I moved from Missiles and Radar in the RAF to Audiovisual as a civvie - I do CAD pretty much day in day out, it's not that exciting, but I get good money as I have been here a very long time... :)

Not Autocad/PC by the way, it's VectorWorks/Mac which is what I insisted on back at the start, and mostly it has worked out ok... 8)

Im unsure if ive posted in ehre before.... i Work as a Projectionist and Film Editor for Empire Cinemas in the UK (oldest cinema chain the UK). also trying to jump into their marketting department soon.... with a big entrance i hope.

I've worked for the same company for 13 years as a video producer/video editor/writer/animator/cameraman/graphic artist... attached are 2 recent TV commercials shot in high def.

I may be homeless and unemployed in a few months.. I'm going to sell my house to get out of Fresno.... Too much of the same thing for too long.... i wanna hit the road... nothin keeping me here

Anybody overseas wanna sponsor me for a year so I work and travel abroad for a while?

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p \

Well mate if I could do it I would, but the best thing is Africa, it is cheap for you guys, lovely and if you work with any thing to do with TV you will get a job at one of the 5 SA based TV stations depending on your experience.

What did you have in mind where you want to travel to?

I would consider S. Africa. How are their restrictions? I know Australia and England really put an emphasis on medicine, engineering and programming... they dont want video guys from the U.S,!.

Many people in my line of work are free lancers who take short term jobs.
I hope I can bumble from contract job to contract job. I've been stationary for too long.

Many tv station production jobs are crappy... weird hours, low pay. because of the perceived "glamour" of working for a tv station, they have no problem finding people. I'd consider any opportunity though.

Does anybody want a house? I just built this today:

Clovis Home Sale

I would consider S. Africa. How are their restrictions? I know Australia and England really put an emphasis on medicine, engineering and programming... they dont want video guys from the U.S,!.

Many people in my line of work are free lancers who take short term jobs.
I hope I can bumble from contract job to contract job. I've been stationary for too long.

Many tv station production jobs are crappy... weird hours, low pay. because of the perceived "glamour" of working for a tv station, they have no problem finding people. I'd consider any opportunity though.

Does anybody want a house? I just built this today:

Clovis Home Sale

Well mate this is Africa, you can almost do anything here. LOL Well it is not that strict here and they actually do not have a problem getting guys from other countries. well I do not know what the restrictions are on people from the US who come and live here in SA. Try and search the web or if you can try to find a Sister City community near you, I know that the one in Tacoma WA that has ties with the town where I live, George.

I will try and see if there is something I can find out.

I came late to this thread. I work for Queensland Railways as Train Crew Guard CityTrain Division. Pay is good but the shift work wears you down a bit. I am on 24/7 call in essential services etc

Yes Henk sometimes they let us go home occassionaly hahaha. What I mean by on call Henk is that we can have our shifts changed and roster calls us and can do so 24 hours a day 7 days per week

Cheers, Emac. On call in my neck of the woods means that you can receive a call to go to work on a moments notice and you are expected to arrive. Still, how often does your situation happen. I'm a salary man and we are "called" often.

My former boss was like that, he would phone you in the middle of the night just to ask you bull, or expect you to work on your off day, because the other guy is just as drunk as you and did not arrive to open the shop and would like you to go and open up, then you just say that you are not in town at the moment.

He he he he..................... That son of a b*tch actually thought that I would pitch.

Henk: Thanks for the consideration. I sincerely appreciate any effort. I'd like to see Johannesburg. I have to sell the house before I make any moves - I'm just in the information gathering phase. Please PM me if you have any helpful info... thanks!

Matt: Thanks! It's been a great bachelor pad. Today only, I'll throw in a 52 inch tv set if u buy the house!

I came late to this thread. I work for Queensland Railways as Train Crew Guard CityTrain Division. Pay is good but the shift work wears you down a bit. I am on 24/7 call in essential services etc

My dad works for QR as well. He has been with QR for 30+ years (im not sure how many particuarly maybe 34?). Anyway he is a shunter and works at callemondah rail yard in gladstone. he has been there ever since it has been opened.

What do I do?? According to my wife, I have way too much time on my hands. haha

Actually I retired 38 days ago. I passed the first hurdle. 4 of my friends didn't make it past 30 days. I figure I've got it made now. No job, no money........happiest I've been in my entire life.

Former Sr. Mech Eng. Automation was/is my main line but product developement, design engineering, automotive engineering, machine design.......and on are other handles. Former tool maker. Auto repair tech in my early days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back