What Do Your Usernames Mean?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You were a SEAL, Les?! That must have been a hell of an experience - I take my hat off to you.

In regard to your question, Wildcat (good to hear from ya again by the way) I never made it to Nowra during my brief stint in the RNZAF - a year and a half into my training (as aircraft mech), I was one of the 1100 airforce personnel who got the chop during the 1992 defence cuts. I will not mention my thoughts on that at the time, but I think you can imagine...

We also closed 3 RNZAF bases then, and started leasing out various aircraft maintainance work to civilian contractors.

Ironically, we purchased the first of our 18 Aermacchi MB339CB's at the same time, which we sold off just 9 years later along with our 'Squawks' (A-4ks).
I was by then living in Hungary, and it was very sad to read that on the internet - apparently we'd just signed a contract to rent F-16s from the US and dispose of the Squawks anyway, but then along came the new government, who decided it was all too expensive (and apparently NZ's not worth attacking anyway) so pulled the plug on the deal, and scrapped the whole Strike wing.

Maybe they were right, maybe we really don't need a strike wing in the end, but we certainly lost one of the most interesting facets of NZ aviation at that time, I reckon.

Based on RAF/RN circuit call.

UK Mil aircraft call at "Initials", "On the break", "Downwind" and "Finals" around the circuit.

To the downwind call is added their intention: eg Callsign Downwind, Land (full stop), Roll (touch 'n go) or Overshoot (low approach).

At 2 units I served at, we played host to RN Sqns (spit) when disembarked from HMS Ark Royal. Because of this, we had dummy carrier decks painted on the left side of the runways, complete with Mirror Sights, so that the RN Sqns could practice their Mirror Assisted Dummy Deck Landings (MADDL) circuits. These were flown at 600ft in an almost continuous circle; they included the intention of MADDLING in their downwind call.

Hence: Downwind, Maddl, Land. The hypen and stop were to allow me use it as an e-mail address too.

These bl**y things always messed up the 'conventional' circuits at 1000ft and, together with the RN Landing Sight Officer (LSO) out at the Mirror Sight blocking the Tower Frequency ("On the roger, on the roger, up a bit, bit left, on the roger….") , made controlling the circuit a tad difficult and created a deep impression on me, as you can tell…….

I love all the stuff I learn from you guys..I am becoming a WEALTH of strange knowledge

Cool @ Downwind..I'd always wondered what your name meant..NOW I know.

Only teasing!

Roger = I have received and understood your message

Wilco = Will comply

Over = I have completed my transmission and expect a response

Out = I have completed my transmission and DO NOT expect a response

Therefore, you NEVER need "Roger, Wilco, Over and Out" – as beloved of Hollywood!

Your 'Roger' was quite sufficient!

(I'll just get me breath back now....)

DON'T TELL LES! - He's bigger than me and I bruise so easily

Tankers = KC-135s, KC-10s, VC-10s and the like.

Lots of non-standard RT is used all the time - you Americans being very naughty at it - its OK so long as comms are good but standard RT is a must in a busy or ECM environment.

Users who are viewing this thread