What if the German adanced aircraft technology was mass produced by D-Day?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

They were many years away from an atomic weapon. It's been discussed before.
A simple comparison of the massive Manhattan project to the German effort (one very basic reactor in a cellar under a pub) should be the non-scientific evidence.

Not only that Steve but it is well documented that German atomic bomb research made a very fundamental error quite early on regarding the amount of fissile material needed to provoke and sustain the chain reaction.
Heisenberg wasn't the only German scientist working on this but he was the leading one and as far as I can see the error was his and it skewed everything that came after it.

Throw in the lunacy of exiling a large chunk of the world's leading nuclear scientists just because they were Jewish or part Jewish - and compounding this by just letting them go to work for the allied countries - and yes the crude 'chandalier nuclear pile' at Haigerloch is a perfect illustration how far away they were how incomparable the German effort was to the Manhattan project.

Exactly so.
The new revisionism refers to the figure of just over 5Kg,given in the document,as the critical mass required for a plutonium bomb which is not far off the mark,but if the writers had read the Smyth report they'd know that this was the amount of fissile material needed.
Heisenberg's calculations estimated very much more than that,so much more that he was surprised when the Americans dropped a device from an aeroplane.
Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
What would have happened if the Me 262, Me 163, Ta 152, V1, Horton Bomber, Ar 234, and/or He 162 were mass produced at least over 3,000 for each aircraft and operational by D-Day? What would their effect be on the war? Would the Allies still be triumphant, or would the tables turn?

I believe they would have at least a moderate effect on the war, at least delaying the Allies a victory until late '45, but I could be wrong. What do you think?
I believe a similar effect would be cast on the war. And if all those aircraft were put into mass production followed by service, the US could have transferred some of its B-29 fleet to Europe.

I believe a similar effect would be cast on the war. And if all those aircraft were put into mass production followed by service, the US could have transferred some of its B-29 fleet to Europe.
The B-29 was NEVER intended for deployment in the ETO. The B-32 was supposed to be sent to Europe to replace both B-17 and B-24 had the war continued.

If Germany had the ability to built 18,000 to 21,000 of those aircraft ( some of which hadn't even flown yet,) before June, 44, fuel and man them, then there would be no invasion, because a Germany with that much resources would have already drefeated Britain and Russia.

How about a discussion on something more realistic, like what if the Klingons joined the Axis.

I tend to agree that the question is too fanciful to warrant serious discussion. If one is ready to give the Germans tens of thousands of high performance jets by 1944 there is no reason we can't wave a wand and give them fuel and trained pilots too. This would have tremendous effect on the war, But even granted all this, the allies weren't stupidheads. The development of these planes would not go unnoticed and the US and Britain would accelerate development of their own high-performance aircraft. Finally, the German jets were not invincible in our history, so there is no reason to imagine anything different in this scenario. They would still be outnumbered and shot down in large numbers. Unless one wants to change history to the point that Germany has an essentially unlimited resupply capability, all that happens is that the war is lengthened and Nurnburg or Berlin gets levelled by atom bombs instead of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. By 1944, only an alien invasion could have saved Germany from defeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back